Should Welfare Recipients Be Allowed To Vote?

Should Welfare Recipients Be Allowed To Vote?

• Total voters
So after all that you STILL haven't bothered to look at the facts you demanded by reading the link provided.

You really need to change that signature of yours. Maybe a picture of an ostrich with its head in the sand? :eusa_whistle:

You keep pointing to a supreme court case, which I have read, as if though the supreme court has never been wrong. Yet at the same time the descision in that case addresses none of what I have said. You can keep pointing to your case if you want but I know its only in the effort of avoiding the facts of the amendment of which the Supreme Court did not address. The 14th Amendment does not contradict itself! If it did ol Thaddeus Stevens would have certainly picked up on it!

Oh, and since you did not reply to or refute anything on my last post I will post it again.

HA! Section2 spells out EXACTLY who section 2 applies to and the punishment for not allowing them to vote! Your above statement is an admission that the states have the right to choose who can and cannot vote (with the exception of the restraints preformed by the other voting amendments). Why doesent Section 1 pertain to voting? Because voting is not an individual right or liberty but a privilage not afforded to such people as dictated by the states. It has always been that way and it shows the intent of the people who wrote it! In the eyes of thoes who wrote that amendment there is no contradiction! End of story! Perioud! Thats all she wrote! The states do have the authority to choos who votes and who doesent (pending they are in complience with the voting amendments).

The decision in the Harper case addresses exactly the core of your argument.

It doesn't matter what the law was 200 years ago, or 150 years ago, or 100 years ago. When you want to change policy now, it matters what it is NOW. And right or wrong, agree or disagree, that case spells out the current status of the law and the recognition of the right to vote as a protected fundamental right under the 14th Amendment, complete with a list of citations for precedent to that effect going back approximately 100 years.

You may disagree with the current state of the law, but you ignore it and deny it at your peril. Learning the history is all well and good, but from a legal point of view it matters not in any context but understanding the present. That's where we live and make policy, not in some fantasyland that may or may not have existed 150 years ago.

And in the present, you are wrong. Section 2 matters not. The 6th and 5th and 17th aren't even germane. Your dismissal of the 24th is a semantic argument that isn't held up by the body of law surrounding the franchise, including but certainly not limited to Harper. And your refusal to understand that we live in the 21st Century, like it or not, blinds you to present reality.

What you propose is unconstitutional and can only happen through the Amendment process, and that idea is dead on arrival. People will not vote away their rights, and it's the kiss of death for any politician who tries to do it for them.

No, it's been fun but you really haven't needed my help in pointing out your stupidity. ;)

Now I'm going to grant your fondest wish and let you have the last word. You're welcome. :lol:

Its true that you cant argue with the courts. But like so many positions in government, Justices arent appointed because of their strict adheirance to the constitution. And thus debate still continues. In order to fail at something you must make an attampt at something. You cannot fail to pay a tax if you are not taxed at all. You certainly cannot fail to pay a tax if you not only do not pay taxes, but you get extra money from the taxpayers. U.S. law is written with the english language and the definition of the word fail is absolutly clear. An attempt must be made.

Going back to the 14th Amendment, the fraimers of the 14th Amendment absolutly did not view the amendment as a contradiction. This is beyond self evident fact! You cannot change a law without a constitutional amendment and thus any interpertitation of a law that expressly specifies the opposite of your opinion is wrong! Notice that today the 14th Amendment is not annotated in any form to show later changes like the 3/5th clause is. Yet at the same time if liberty cannot be denied, and I agree with that, then you may not take the fruits of other peoples labor and give it to someone else with no compensation of the person who was forced to give it up. Thus, no matter what your interperitation of the 14th Amendment, (A) the states cannot deny the privilage of voting, or (B) welfare cannot exist.

Last edited:
A Conflict of Interest?

Acting under the assumption that taxation without representation is wrong, isn’t representation without taxation wrong as well? In a time when 47% of households pay absolutely no tax at all, can we justify those who do not pay taxes to be able to vote on how much the taxpaying citizen’s pay for the services of government that we all benefit from? ( http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/business/economy/14leonhardt.html ) .....
Let's take that argument one step further and remove the right to vote for any state that receives more money from the federal government than it contributes in taxes.

It could be argued that since they already receive more than their fair share of federal revenues, they forfeit the right to make decisions concerning the taxes of the 28 more prosperous states.

That would mean that 32 states would not vote or have representatives in Congress because they receive more federal funds than they contribute in taxes. Only 1 "red" state (Texas) would be allowed to vote during elections!

For the Democrats, this sounds like a plan!

Federal Taxing and Spending Benefit Some States, Leave Others Paying Bill
October 9, 2007

FY 2005 RANKINGS

Ratio - State - Outlay to Tax Ranking
1. New Mexico - $2.03

2. Mississippi - $2.02

3, Alaska - $1.84

4. Louisiana - $1.78

5. West Virginia - $1.76

6. North Dakota - $1.68

7. Alabama - $1.66

8. South Dakota - $1.53

9. Kentucky - $1.51

10. Virginia - $1.51

11. Montana - $1.47

12. Hawaii - $1.44

13. Maine - $1.41

13. Arkansas - $1.41

15. Oklahoma - $1.36

16. South Carolina - $1.35

17. Missouri - $1.32

18. Maryland - $1.30

19. Tennessee - $1.27

20. Idaho - $1.21

21. Arizona - $1.19

22. Kansas - $1.12

23. Wyoming - $1.11

24. Iowa - $1.10

24. Nebraska - $1.10

26. Vermont - $1.08

26. North Carolina - $1.08

28. Pennsylvania - $1.07

29. Utah - $1.07

30. Indiana - $1.05

30. Ohio - $1.05

32. Georgia - $1.01

These 32 states receive more federal funds than they contribute.

33. Rhode Island - $1.00

34. Florida - $0.97

35. Texas - $0.94

36. Oregon - $0.93

37. Michigan - $0.92

38. Washington - $0.88

39. Wisconsin - $0.86

40. Massachusetts - $0.82

41. Colorado - $0.81

42. New York - $0.79

43. California - $0.78

44. Delaware - $0.77

45. llinois - $0.75

46. Minnesota - $0.72

47. New Hampshire - $0.71

48. Connecticut - $0.69

49. Nevada - $0.65

50. New Jersey - $0.61

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxing and Spending Benefit Some States, Leave Others Paying Bill

Just goes to show you why after the south seceded they made is expressly unconstitutional for the federal government to implement internal improvements or to take money away from one state and give it to another. Furthermore, after Savanaah Georga burned down in the early 1800's congress deemed it unconstitutional to help because taking money away from one state for the benefit of another violates the constitution. The states would then need to voulintarily send money to Georgia. This is annotated in a series of books called The Founders Constitution. It is free and you can see it here >>> Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1: House of Representatives, Relief to Savannah What an excellent resource.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Welfare recipients ARE allowed to vote. Who would deny them that precious right? Stalinists? Taxation without representation is tyranny not the other way around.

So voting for represenatives to implement policies that you will not pay for isnt tyranny? Voting for represenatives that will take money from others and give it to you isnt tyranny?
What say should you have on things that you do not pay for?

I would disagree with you there. Let's distinguish between Voice through Vote, and Theft through Vote. Let's distinguish between living within the rule of law, and living outside of it. We have protected Rights, Voting is one of them, It can be forfeited through Conscious Action, that results in conviction, or even in relation to mental health issues. A Competent Adult has a Right to Voice and Vote. You don't want to change that and create a Caste System.

What the Legislature has a right to impose on us with other peoples money is another issue. We need boundaries to the abuses to property rights, ignoring those boundaries has brought us to where we are today. All Laws should be impartial to person and position, no exceptions, no exemptions. If it is too draconian, check your premise, something is wrong with the legislation at the root level if it does harm. When Tyranny results, what does it matter that it is born of a majority of Idiots or a minority of idiots? In the end it is still Tyranny, still doing harm, and still at was with Justice.

You want educated and responsible Voters, Members of Society, Educate and teach responsibility. We are all in it together, drinking the same water, breathing the same air. We each have a relationship to Society, We both give and take. In all that, Each remains his or her own property, at least in a just Society.

If your view is like mine and beleive that the function of government is to defend everyones liberty, then my thesis makes perfect since.

We agree on the function of Government. Not on restricting Voter participation as a means to curb injustice. Unjust laws are either a result of poorly planned and written legislation, or the misinterpretation of that legislation. The Government's charge is to protect and defend, that implies it's own conformity with it's purpose for being. The Mob is not entitled to unjust gain just because it feels entitled to it. Theft is theft, by any name. Qualify and seek consent. Knowing the true cost should be revealed in the process, no?

Taking the constitution strictly, what would be an unjust law?

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Welfare recipients ARE allowed to vote. Who would deny them that precious right? Stalinists? Taxation without representation is tyranny not the other way around.

So voting for represenatives to implement policies that you will not pay for isnt tyranny? Voting for represenatives that will take money from others and give it to you isnt tyranny?

rich people work very hard to place puppets in political positions just so they get $$$$ benefits and tax breaks

would you like to take their voting rights away?

LOBBYISTs woirk very hard for special interest groups in order for those special interest groups to be rewarded in various ways (free money, tax breaks, government contracts)

should we take their voting rights away?

wouldn't it be better to take their LOBBY RIGHTS away?

arent many of these people basically working to implement policies that they aren't going to pay for?

care to takle away their voting rights?

(i'd be happier if you took away their right to control politicians and policies)

This specifically grants the right to vote to everyone:
Amendment 15 - Race No Bar to Vote. Ratified 2/3/1870. History

1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

This gives women the right to vote.
Amendment 19 - Women's Suffrage. Ratified 8/18/1920. History

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Not really.

You said Amendment 15 specifically grants the right to vote to everyone.

If true, then why there was a need to Amendment 19? What, women doesn't fall into "everyone" category?

That's exactly where you are wrong. Constitution doesn't give the right to all citizens to vote. Constitution give right to all qualified citizens to vote. Obviously, under 15th Amendment, women were not qualified and that's why there is 19th.

Btw, only state legislatures has power to decide who is qualified or not.

Last edited:

The child tax credit of $1000 a kid is a giveway to people with children that effectively increases the tax burden of people without children. By your reasoning, anyone with children should not be allowed to vote.

The child tax credit of $1000 a kid is a giveway to people with children that effectively increases the tax burden of people without children. By your reasoning, anyone with children should not be allowed to vote.

So as long as they pay more taxes than they recieve in tax credits. And I suppose I did make a mistake in not researching what qualifies as "welfare". But nevertheless, such a law should be unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment. Infact, If you are to take that whole Amendment seriously there should be no such thing as welfare or redistribution of wealth anyway. But I suppose thats another topic for another thread. Like this one >> http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ty-be-subject-to-the-needs-of-the-masses.html

Last edited:

So as long as they pay more taxes than they recieve in tax credits. And I suppose I did make a mistake in not researching what qualifies as "welfare". But nevertheless, such a law should be unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment. Infact, If you are to take that whole Amendment seriously there should be no such thing as welfare or redistribution of wealth anyway. But I suppose thats another topic for another thread. Like this one >> http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ty-be-subject-to-the-needs-of-the-masses.html

The child tax credit is one of the main reason almost half of American households pay NO federal income taxes.

The child tax credit is one of the main reason almost half of American households pay NO federal income taxes.

Oh, I am well aware of that as I receive that tax credit. An I also get more taxes back than what I pay in because I am a student as well. Not to mention my GI Bill. Of course, veterans should be exempt no matter what their financial status because theyve allready givin up alot of their liberty in the defence of liberty.

Last edited:
Infact, If you are to take that whole Amendment seriously ther should be no such thing as welfare or redistribution of wealth.

How so? I see no prohibition on what can be done with property taken under due process.

rich people work very hard to place puppets in political positions just so they get $$$$ benefits and tax breaks

would you like to take their voting rights away?

LOBBYISTs woirk very hard for special interest groups in order for those special interest groups to be rewarded in various ways (free money, tax breaks, government contracts)

should we take their voting rights away?

wouldn't it be better to take their LOBBY RIGHTS away?

arent many of these people basically working to implement policies that they aren't going to pay for?

care to takle away their voting rights?

(i'd be happier if you took away their right to control politicians and policies)

Funny how that is addressed in the op that you obviously didnt read huh?

Infact, If you are to take that whole Amendment seriously ther should be no such thing as welfare or redistribution of wealth.

How so? I see no prohibition on what can be done with property taken under due process.

Well, if that is the case then the right to vote can be taken under the same assumption so as long as it does not violate the voting amendments. You cant have it both ways. Either welfare is unconstitutional or the right of a state to deny a person to vote is constitutional so as long as it does not violate the voting amendments. Which one is it?

Last edited:
The right of the state to deny it's citizens is indeed constitutional as 100 yrs of Jim Crow indicate. Exemptions from due process have narrowed the jurisdiction of due process, but the states are certainly free to exercise their constitutional right to deny the vote to citizens on other criteria. Unless the states constitution prohibit it. My state only denies the mentally incapacitated and felons.

I sincerely doubt that is a right any state wants to exercise.

The right of the state to deny it's citizens is indeed constitutional as 100 yrs of Jim Crow indicate. Exemptions from due process have narrowed the jurisdiction of due process, but the states are certainly free to exercise their constitutional right to deny the vote to citizens on other criteria. Unless the states constitution prohibit it. My state only denies the mentally incapacitated and felons.

I sincerely doubt that is a right any state wants to exercise.

I agree. I beleive the above poll is an indicator of that. Then again, if followed by the principles of liberty as viewed by the founding fathers, it should be done. Thats my opinion anyway. And thats what this thread is about.

Of course they should vote..the way its going we will all be on welfare before obie is voted out...That said...How about we drug test them?....

Forum List

Back