Should we raise the Debt Ceiling?

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
We are coming to a cliff. Either we raise the debt ceiling, reduce our deficit or default on our obligations. If we continue to raise our limit, it is meaningless and we haven't leaned anything. But likewise, it could be a catastrophe.

Should we make cuts right away and apply them to the deficit so we can show the world we are serious about our debt, ganing world confidence again? Negotiate cuts to pass them right away?

Or have a showdown in Congress and with the Administration? Or take the easy route and just increase the limit. Or a combination?

Let's debate.

No. Don't raise it. It's called a ceiling for a reason, we're not supposed to go through it.

I would love to see a nasty showdown on the Hill about this. It'll separate the men from the boys. We'll see understands it all and who's really serious about this.

Pass an amendment that states that the Federal Goverment cannot pass a budget that calls for more spending than receipts. Here in Indiana it is working and it forces the legislators to make those hard decisions on spending and taxes and they have no choice in the matter. Congress will always make an exception when rules are made but an amendment cannot be ignored!

***No choice but to raise debt limit at present***

Last edited:
We are coming to a cliff. Either we raise the debt ceiling, reduce our deficit or default on our obligations. If we continue to raise our limit, it is meaningless and we haven't leaned anything. But likewise, it could be a catastrophe.

Should we make cuts right away and apply them to the deficit so we can show the world we are serious about our debt, ganing world confidence again? Negotiate cuts to pass them right away?

Or have a showdown in Congress and with the Administration? Or take the easy route and just increase the limit. Or a combination?

Let's debate.

Cliff or brick wall.
Either way, refuse to raise it and learn to live within our means.

As Obama himself said in 2006 (when he voted against raising the debt ceiling):

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can't pay its own bills."

His leadership has resulted in a massive increase in the debt - and it's an EPIC FAIL.

Pass an amendment that states that the Federal Goverment cannot pass a budget that calls for more spending than receipts. Here in Indiana it is working and it forces the legislators to make those hard decisions on spending and taxes and they have no choice in the matter. Congress will always make an exception when rules are made but an amendment cannot be ignored!

***No choice but to raise debt limit at present***

I agree with the amendment.

The problem with that is the definition of budget. Passing a budget is easily gamed the way the government does accounting.

The government should not be able to pay in cash outlays more than in collects in cash tax receipts - in addition to being required to do a complete impact assessment of legislation (consitutionality, impact on the economy, impact on individual liberty...).

Last edited:
they really live in a fantsy land

Please explain.

As for me..no, do not raise the debt ceiling.

Cut back spending...including SS and medicare overhauls.

We, as Americans, must learn toi suffer for our selfish actions of the past and present...and stop putting the burden of our actions on future generations.

We need to suffer the pains of struggling so we can learn from the actions that got us here.

I am already...and I blame no one but myself...my greed...my desire to have my money make money for me....my desire for the better things in life..

SO yes, I am suffering...and I am OK with it...and I have learned from it.

And to explain...I carved out a high life style for myself and my family.....well, now, I still have those possessions buy not the income to support them...but my income is still above the 250 mark, so I get nada as it pertins to assiatance....so I am struggling to meet my debt...

But I deserve it and learned from it....and I am doing what I need to do to meet my obligatrions.

All of us should....

Why are conservatives so crazy?

We have troops in the field involved in multiple actions. Not raising the ceiling is going to hurt them, and hurt them big.

I didn't and don't agree on the extent of the military actions. But I am pretty damned angry that anyone wants to play chicken when it involves our brave young people that are fighting for our country.

This is a ridiculous thing to do.

As defense spending is 20% of the budget, there are plenty of other areas to cut without affecting troops in the field.

Just sayin'.

Newt tried this idiot position for about 6 months once.

The Rs lost the congress because of it.

We have troops in the field involved in multiple actions. Not raising the ceiling is going to hurt them, and hurt them big.

I didn't and don't agree on the extent of the military actions. But I am pretty damned angry that anyone wants to play chicken when it involves our brave young people that are fighting for our country.

Why not cut out other areas?
I agree...dont make it harder for the military to do the jobs.
Instead, enough with trying to make Americans as comfortable as possible.
We dont deserve it.
We need to earn it...ON OUR OWN.

of course, it's ridiclous. idealogues often refuse to look at ramifications.

and notice, none of them said get out of iraq and afghanistan. but they want to cut...

cut what?

the same things they always want to cut so they can starve government until they can drown it in a bathtub.

notice also that not a single one said... raise income tax a couple of percentage points on people earning over a half million or even a million... or said tax estates over 6 million dollars.

this isn't about fiscal responsibility... it's about the 'ihategovernment' contingent.

The Big Freeze

This conservative pledge has historical antecedents. In the fall of 1995, congressional Republicans refused to raise the debt ceiling for a period of about six months, until they reversed course in March 1996 in response to plummeting poll numbers. This original “debt ceiling crisis,” as it’s become known, was extraordinarily costly, roiling the financial markets and forcing two government shutdowns.

The consequences of refusing to raise the debt ceiling would be even more costly today, given the precarious state of the U.S. economy and global financial markets, and potentially could be disastrous. Unlike in 1995, when our economic outlook was good, we are currently fighting our way out of the Great Recession and coming off of the worst financial crisis since the 1930s.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back