Should We Have Knowledge Tests for Voters?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by William Joyce, Jul 11, 2007.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I've always liked the idea, but you can imagine who would complain first, not that I'm mentioning AL SHARPTON any AL SHARPTON names AL SHARPTON or anything AL SHARPTON.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2007/07/09/070709crbo_books_menand

Bryan Caplan, an economist who teaches at George Mason University, thinks that increasing voter participation is a bad thing. He thinks, in fact, that the present level of voter participation—about fifty per cent of the electorate votes in Presidential elections, a much lower percentage than in most democracies, as Americans are frequently reminded—is a bad thing. Caplan is the sort of economist (are there other sorts? there must be) who engages with the views of non-economists in the way a bulldozer would engage with a picket fence if a bulldozer could express glee. The cover illustration of his new book, “The Myth of the Rational Voter: Why Democracies Choose Bad Politics” (Princeton; $29.95), shows a flock of sheep. This is meant to symbolize the voting public. It looks like a flock of cloned sheep, too.

2. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I've thought about this a lot, and I think the only type of knowledge test I would be ok with would be one that is very basic and is just a test to see whether people know basic facts about the candidates. Anything else is going to discriminate against a cross-section of the country, which will lead to the other sections of the country bringing in policies that only benefit themselves.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,988
    No test at all should be ever administered. If the person is of legal age and legally entitled to vote then they should be able to do so, whether they are idiots or not. Anything else is simply NOT what I believe the spirit of this Country is about, nor what the Constitution should protect.

4. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I'm not convinced that the "spirit of this country" justifies a system which is putting in politicians as bad as our current crop.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    The Constitution does not guarantee any general right to vote.

6. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,988
    In other words, you do not like our Democracy at work.

Be as honest as a liberal was on another board i used to post on, he admitted he thought that all important positions in Government dealing with money, social programs and such, any position with real power , should be appointed and that ONLY liberals should be allowed those positions, He of course was fine with Conservatives doing Buisness stuff.

ANY test is a slide down a path you do not want. Whether Conservative, Liberal, or some other bent, the one sure thing is, give Government the power to decide who gets to vote ( other than age and legal status) and someday someone YOU don't agree with will be in a position to change those parameters.

7. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You are getting very tiring. I already spelled out the test I thought should be done. It has NOTHING to do with political orientation. If you could pull your head out of your ass and READ what I am saying, you would know that.

No, I don't like our Democracy at work. I believe it is failing, for numerous reasons. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is liberal vs. conservative, it has to do with what politicians base their decisions on, and why. It has to do with the fact that the election cycle is a joke, and we all condemn them for it, but the sad fact is, that if they didn't act like trained monkeys pandering at every whim, they would never get elected.

8. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,988
    And you continue to say exactly what I said. You do not like our form of Government. Being the good "liberal" you only want smart people to vote, ohh wait, I mean "well informed". If you had bothered to read the Founding Fathers opinion on that VERY subject you would find that they made a decision NOT to do that because of the potential abuse such a system could AND would cause. They did not like the idea of ill informed people voting, but they disliked the tyrany that would occur if the Government was given the power to preform any kind of test for voting.

All you want is informed people voting, thats a nice but foolish thought. Once you grant to the Government the power to decide who votes, it is only a matter of time before the " wrong" sorts will be prevented. Ask blacks from the south how well such tests worked for them prior to the 1960's.

9. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    They didn't dislike it enough to put it in the Constitution that it can't be allowed. And if you think that a test of "basic facts about the candidates" would strongly favor liberals, I wonder why you are a Conservative if you believe your fellow conservatives are really that incredibly stupid.

As I said before, this has NOTHING to do with political affiliation. This has NOTHING to do with liberal vs. conservative.

The government already decides who votes.

10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,988
    Your dislike and anger at me clouds your ability to read and understand. I clearly stated that this has nothing to do with political belief or position. And the US and State Governments have very little say in who votes. They choose age and they choose crimes that exclude citizens from their right to vote.

They used to choose sex but that is gone and IT is in the Constitution. Even slaves got a vote, sort of, the Slave states got a 2/3 vote per every slave.

A "test" for voting is ILLEGAL. Per the US Supreme Court.