Should voters be concerned about Romney's Mormon religion?

There is a rumor that police have illegally blocked out the numbers on their badges in order to avoid identification in unlawful acts they are plotting.

"When the day comes that an openly atheist or agnostic person can actually win the Presidency, I'll be a happy man.

That day hasn't come yet."

I think it passed, around the time of Jefferson.

Perhaps at that time. As a whole, this country was a whole lot less religious back then.

Now? Not a chance.

What I have to say doesn't really have anything to do with Mormonism.

The Republican Party is essentially being run (at least at the grass roots state level) by Evangelical Christians. And they (and their pastors, of course) see cultism and satanism pretty much everywhere other than in their own denominations. And frankly, they probably see it there, as well.

So, when Reverend Robert Jeffress called Mormonism a cult, he meant it! He also called Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism “false religions." And about Catholicism he said the following: “Much of what you see in the Catholic Church today doesn’t come from God’s word. It comes from that cult-like pagan religion. Isn’t that the genius of Satan?”

The ONLY reason the Christian right is supporting Romney is because he's the presumptive nominee who will be running against President Obama. If Romney were to win the election, these same Christians would probably freak out as Mitt settled into office and actually presumed to practice his faith while in office.

I salute anyone who bothers to read the OP link.

I read the whole thing. Notice the story gives much more time and delves into Emmett's thoughts, almost totally disregarding Todd's comments which are very valid, particularly this one:

"I view my role in the church and in God’s plan as distinct and complementary to the efforts of men."

Traditional values, believing that men and women are different and thus are better suited for fulfilling different roles within the family. Believe it or not, some women want to bear children and fulfill the role of mother and homemaker for herself, her husband and her family... while being less concerned with showing men that "we can do anything you do!" So can men. Big deal.

If Emmett wants to break away from the church then that's fine; good for her. She disagrees with some things and thus doesn't want to be part of it. Different strokes for different folks.

This article really boils down to bigotry against the Mormon faith. That's it. Not surprising though considering the source.

What would one expect Todd to say?

What she did. It's called a counterpoint. You don't seem to want to pay attention to it though cause it doesn't validate your view.

No one seemed bothered about obamas religion/s. So why would anyone care about romneys?

no one?

wow, you are posting on a political message board?

You got nuts on both sides. Look at the op... all worried that romney is a mormon.

My "no one" means that no one cared enough that it impacted obamas election enough to not vote for him.. So those same "on ones" could care less about romneys.

it is most definitely a different but overlapping set of "no ones" who didn't care about Obama's religion and now do not care about Romney's.

how this internet shrieking transports into actual votes, i have no idea.

but to sum up,
saying "no one" seemed bothered about obama's religion is a ridiculous statement.

Considering the origins of Mormonisn, a Mormon in the White House would have "extremely" close ties to Israel.

I read the whole thing. Notice the story gives much more time and delves into Emmett's thoughts, almost totally disregarding Todd's comments which are very valid, particularly this one:

"I view my role in the church and in God’s plan as distinct and complementary to the efforts of men."

Traditional values, believing that men and women are different and thus are better suited for fulfilling different roles within the family. Believe it or not, some women want to bear children and fulfill the role of mother and homemaker for herself, her husband and her family... while being less concerned with showing men that "we can do anything you do!" So can men. Big deal.

If Emmett wants to break away from the church then that's fine; good for her. She disagrees with some things and thus doesn't want to be part of it. Different strokes for different folks.

This article really boils down to bigotry against the Mormon faith. That's it. Not surprising though considering the source.

What would one expect Todd to say?

What she did. It's called a counterpoint. You don't seem to want to pay attention to it though cause it doesn't validate your view.

The article/interview wasn't about Todd, it was about Brigham Young's great-great-granddaughter.

Considering the origins of Mormonisn, a Mormon in the White House would have "extremely" close ties to Israel.

A normal person would hope that any president would have extremely close ties with Israel.

"Perhaps at that time. As a whole, this country was a whole lot less religious back then."

Just to discuss this point, my impression is that many were more deeply religious, but it wasn't their style to brandish it about or make it a debating point. It was inner conviction and much more personal, less centralized. They were mostly Protestant.
But diverse thinking in the matter was not seen negatively. Politeness itself prevented, I think, imposing on others one's intimate preferences .

I don't give a damn if he sacrifices goats and chickens on an altar outside in the rose garden everytime there's a full moon. Will he be a better alternative than Obama over the next 4 years when it comes to running the country and improving the economy? I say the answer is yes.

no, they should not.

a) no religious test
b) romney does not seem to carry his religion anywhere, certainly not on his sleeve

According to the OP link, one wouldn't "expect" Romney to wear his Mormonism on his sleeve.

We elected a 'muslim', and a Catholic, so why not a Mormon. 6 of the 8 most likely VPs are Catholic.

Heaven forefend! A Mormon and a Catholic running the country! Hell might freeze over, and it won't be climate change.

no, they should not.

a) no religious test
b) romney does not seem to carry his religion anywhere, certainly not on his sleeve

According to the OP link, one wouldn't "expect" Romney to wear his Mormonism on his sleeve.

We elected a 'muslim', and a Catholic, so why not a Mormon. 6 of the 8 most likely VPs are Catholic.

Heaven forefend! A Mormon and a Catholic running the country! Hell might freeze over, and it won't be climate change.

no one elected a muslim, with or without ass-covering ''.

those believing obama is a muslim did not vote for him.

"I don't give a damn if he sacrifices goats and chickens on an altar outside in the rose garden everytime there's a full moon. Will he be a better alternative than Obama over the next 4 years when it comes to running the country and improving the economy? I say the answer is yes."

Do you care if he sacrifices more soldiers for another needless war?

How can moral people vote for any of these criminals? It can only be by purposely overlooking their crimes.

Toss all these guys out. Vote other.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back