Should those getting unemployment $$ get drug tested?

Indiana Lawmakers are looking into doing just that.

What do you think?

Indiana lawmakers consider unemployment, drug use - 13 WTHR

I would agree with the drug testing...

and wonder if you find this story related:

"That is, if you happen to live in West Virginia.

The Parkersville News and Sentinel reports State Sen. Erik Wells has introduced a bill to yank your driver's license if your kid misses 10 or more days of school. You'd get a warning after the fifth unexcused absence.

The Democrat tells the News and Sentinel he knows this bill will go over about as well as Rush Limbaugh in a pole-vaulting contest. However, he wants to make a point.

"I think responsibility has to start somewhere, and it is the parents' responsibility as parents to put the welfare of their child first, and one of those aspects is to get the child to school," Wells tells the newspaper."
W. Virginia Bill Would Yank Your Driver's License if Your Kid Misses Too Much School - ParentDish

Actually, I don't agree with this one, unless the child in question is below middle school age.
Is this inconsistent?

I dun like this idea, EZ. What rational relationship is there between drug use and unemployment? It seems like nothing more than a backdoor way to eliminate some folks from the rolls....denying them a benefit they are entitled to receive, and have worked for.

I'm also not excited about yanking a parent's driver's license for a child's missing school. Again, where's the rational relationship? What about the parents who cannot control their own children? What about the families who cannot work without driving?

Indiana Lawmakers are looking into doing just that.

What do you think?

Indiana lawmakers consider unemployment, drug use - 13 WTHR

Not a big fan of it.

Unemployment is not automatic. Just because you loose your job, does not mean you qualify for unemployment. If your organization has a RIF, you are laid off, or your position is eliminated - you will qualify for unemployment. However if you are terminated for cause, such as negligence, absenteeism, failure to follow company policies, drinking or drug use "on duty" then you do not qualify for unemployment.

So in the vast majority of the cases, those that are habitual alcohol or drug abusers are not going to qualify for unemployment anyway.

I just don't see the "bang for the buck" from a practical standpoint and just see it as a further expansion of government size and power.

>>>>

I don't even know why Drug tests are even relevant in the workplace. I say, As long as your doing a good job I don't give a rats ass what you smoke.

I dun like this idea, EZ. What rational relationship is there between drug use and unemployment?

The point of unemployment is to help you stay afloat while you seek gainful employment.

Those not interested in doing right to better their position should not receive welfare.

It seems like nothing more than a backdoor way to eliminate some folks from the rolls....denying them a benefit they are entitled to receive, and have worked for.

Nope. Just making sure it serves its purpose and isn't abused.

Should those getting unemployment $$ get drug tested?http://www.wthr.com/story/13832005/indiana-lawmakers-consider
Yes. And they should have to demonstrate that they are actively seeking gainful employment by providing their case managers with the addresses and phone numbers of the places where they've applied, along with the name of the person(s) to whom they spoke.

As far as I know, they already do have to make that showing, JB.

What about requiring people receiving unemployment to contribute some volunteer hours to their communities? That at least bears some rational relationship to the benefit.

I dun like this idea, EZ. What rational relationship is there between drug use and unemployment?

The point of unemployment is to help you stay afloat while you seek gainful employment.

Those not interested in doing right to better their position should not receive welfare.

It seems like nothing more than a backdoor way to eliminate some folks from the rolls....denying them a benefit they are entitled to receive, and have worked for.

Nope. Just making sure it serves its purpose and isn't abused.

I dun agree that anyone who has smoked any dope in the past 30 days is "abusing unemployment". I'm sure there are plenty of ambitious dope smokers, just as there are plenty of ambitious alcohol drinkers.

Forum List

Back