Should the federal trials against Donald Trump be televised?

Nope. It will be weeks of nightly "Trump is a poopy head, let's go to the video tape" from the MSM leading up to the election. Dem wet dream.

What should happen is that any trial don't get set until after the election.
Yeah, that’s not going to happen. Half of the dem playbook is to have all this drop precisely during election season. If they can’t DQ him for legal reasons, they’ll at least try to keep him so bogged down in trials that he can’t campaign effectively.

We are living in a perverse form of the Spanish Inquisition. Only the powerful have learned to use the comforts people have against themselves. Complete social justice based on penetrating any orifice as normal no matter the age and any privileged protected culture and/or gender with any complaint no matter how trivial as an affront to living and the accuser turns anyone into a perp. This overshadows the dumbing down of us all as what was denied many decades ago made the minimal into the maximum and the quality dropped while making white males the scapegoats and many millions impoverished.

We are living in a perverse form of the Spanish Inquisition. Only the powerful have learned to use the comforts people have against themselves. Complete social justice based on penetrating any orifice as normal no matter the age and any privileged protected culture and/or gender with any complaint no matter how trivial as an affront to living and the accuser turns anyone into a perp. This overshadows the dumbing down of us all as what was denied many decades ago made the minimal into the maximum and the quality dropped while making white males the scapegoats and many millions impoverished.
I'm sure you had some meaning you wanted to convey there. Wanna try again?

Like you know all about him.
I grew up in NYC, just a few years younger than that rich pos. I couldn’t help but know all about him. Trump was always in the tabloids doing some crap. Marrying or divorcing or chasing after even more money after some financial skullduggery ended in scandal, hanging with the Democratic politicos and mafia construction Union bosses. He was on TV being gushed over by interviewers and his smiling face beamed up at you from the Enquirer when you waited on line to pay at the grocery store. Yeah, I knew about all about Donald J Trump way before he rebranded himself, way before he had a TV show, way before he was even “political.”

I grew up in NYC, just a few years younger than that rich pos. I couldn’t help but know all about him. Trump was always in the tabloids doing some crap. Marrying or divorcing or chasing after even more money after some financial skullduggery ended in scandal, hanging with the Democratic politicos and mafia construction Union bosses. He was on TV being gushed over by interviewers and his smiling face beamed up at you from the Enquirer when you waited on line to pay at the grocery store. Yeah, I knew about all about Donald J Trump way before he rebranded himself, way before he had a TV show, way before he was even “political.”
Lol, sure sure.

Everyone doesn’t have to watch it, but enough will watch it so that the truth is out there.

If we have to hear about it from some baised news source (every news source), then people won’t know the truth and everyone will be claiming they are lying about what really happened.

As toxic as this whole thing is, best to let anyone who wants to watch is live as it’s happening, do so.

But enough people will watch anyway the "the truth" (whatever version of the truth they decide to tell their supporters) will be out there too.

Literally, doesn't make any difference, you could put 95% of Trump supporters in there watching and they still won't have an opinion until someone tells them what it is.

But enough people will watch anyway the "the truth" (whatever version of the truth they decide to tell their supporters) will be out there too.

Literally, doesn't make any difference, you could put 95% of Trump supporters in there watching and they still won't have an opinion until someone tells them what it is.

It will matter, because at least some people can watch it. If we just leave it up to the media to tell us what happened, all we will get is the sterilized, agenda driven version of it.

If you televise it, I’m sure many millions of people will watch it, and John can tell
Sarah, and Sarah can tell patty, and patty can tell her 2nd cousins best friends third wife, and they can tell their friends and they can tell their friends, and so on and so on, and next thing you know, lots of people know, but especially those millions that watch it first hand.

I just feel this is something that really needs to be visible, because if not, it will only drive conspiracy, in both sides.

It will matter, because at least some people can watch it. If we just leave it up to the media to tell us what happened, all we will get is the sterilized, agenda driven version of it.

If you televise it, I’m sure many millions of people will watch it, and John can tell
Sarah, and Sarah can tell patty, and patty can tell her 2nd cousins best friends third wife, and they can tell their friends and they can tell their friends, and so on and so on, and next thing you know, lots of people know, but especially those millions that watch it first hand.

I just feel this is something that really needs to be visible, because if not, it will only drive conspiracy, in both sides.

And if you play it AFTER the trial is over, people can still watch it, and people will still be taken in by the narratives.

Ok, so why are you opposed to having it aired live?

Because it's a trial.

Everyone is allowed a fair trial.

If the trial is aired, they'll appeal it wasn't a fair trail because it was aired.
The jury is going to be hard enough to find anyone who knows nothing about this, and if it's on TV, it's going to be even harder if there are Trump supporters making a racket about it wherever the jury are.

/----/ The Founding Fathers didn't have TV, but they did have a free press that attended trials, and any citizen could sit in the gallery. So, yeah, the FF would approve.
I generally agree this should be Televised...

I also think that Trump's comments about Witnesses, Prosecutors & Judges should be stopped by the judges... Anyone getting mentioned by Trump as evil or their family is getting death threats..

If Trump wants to talk about the case and poison jury pools and effectively attempt to try cases in public opinion instead of court, then expedite the trial... Let the trial start on the 1st of November, Trump keeps talking about the case, so his team must be ready...

Because it's a trial.

Everyone is allowed a fair trial.

If the trial is aired, they'll appeal it wasn't a fair trail because it was aired.
The jury is going to be hard enough to find anyone who knows nothing about this, and if it's on TV, it's going to be even harder if there are Trump supporters making a racket about it wherever the jury are.
The jury will likely be sequestered, so trump supporters making a racket shouldn’t be an issue. You are right though, jury selection will be difficult as literally everyone has heard of this case and probably has thoughts on the matter. I don’t think you’ll be able to find a jury full of unbiased people.

Here is an interesting question: Would the “Founding Fathers,” were they alive today, advocate an open (today that would mean televised) trial? Would that be in the best interests of the country?

Donald Trump’s lawyer has reportedly requested this, and our very Conservative Supreme Court may eventually rule on it. I believe it is a very good idea, even though such Federal Trials are by custom not televised.

We will have millions of Americans following the important D.C & Florida cases via their favorite media “spin doctors” in any case. We have seen there is virtually no possibility of a national consensus developing this way.

But a courtroom trial before a jury is very different, since both sides can present arguments and evidence (which the Judge can control for “relevance”) and the prosecution and defense cases are not made primarily to reinforce the political prejudices of an uninformed audience, but to convince jurors who in the course of the trial will hear abundant testimony, evidence and arguments from both sides.

Whatever the trial outcome, an open televised trial in my opinion will be an important way to educate viewers.
I think so. To not televise would just encourage more conspiracy nonsense.

The jury will likely be sequestered, so trump supporters making a racket shouldn’t be an issue. You are right though, jury selection will be difficult as literally everyone has heard of this case and probably has thoughts on the matter. I don’t think you’ll be able to find a jury full of unbiased people.

It will be an issue. If you're sequestered, you still have to get to the court house every day, you still have to hear them shouting.

Sure, all it takes is one Trump supporter and Trump's free. It's not going to be a fair trial, and Trump knows, and he'll put loads of pressure everywhere he can, he'll bend and break every rule and moral going.
Look at Zuma in South Africa, gets sentenced then his own party are like "ah, there's not enough room in prison, you don't have to go"

No justice.

It will be an issue. If you're sequestered, you still have to get to the court house every day, you still have to hear them shouting.

Sure, all it takes is one Trump supporter and Trump's free. It's not going to be a fair trial, and Trump knows, and he'll put loads of pressure everywhere he can, he'll bend and break every rule and moral going.
Look at Zuma in South Africa, gets sentenced then his own party are like "ah, there's not enough room in prison, you don't have to go"

No justice.

But that will happen regardless of if it’s televised. The only way to stop that is if the trial location was kept a secret. As far as im aware, everyone knows where it will be.

Sure, all it takes is one Trump supporter and Trump's free. It's not going to be a fair trial, and Trump knows, and he'll put loads of pressure everywhere he can, he'll bend and break every rule and moral going. Look at Zuma in South Africa, gets sentenced then his own party are like "ah, there's not enough room in prison, you don't have to go" No justice.
I think we can all agree that a trial, especially in Florida and Georgia, will likely result in a refusal to convict even if the evidence presented is overwhelming, since just one hyper-partisan Trump juror may slip through voir dire rather easily. The conspiracy case in Georgia may seem too broad or complex for some jurors since it involve many indictments, and it may not even go to trial. We shouldn’t assume too much.

But all this is just the way it goes in a democracy where jury trials are a precious tradition. Trump, in any case, will get all his rights and has all the best lawyers that money can buy.

I still think transparency and full coverage of Trump’s eventual trials are important. Sure, most Trump supporters will not watch them if they are carried live, or listen to anything but reports on Fox or other extreme pro-Trump media quoting his own lawyers. But that’s their right. They are free to spend their time as they wish. They can watch football games on TV or go to their local shooting range or restaurant & bar! It’s a free country after all.

Only a limited number may actually carefully watch and learn something from the abundant evidence that will be presented. Maybe a couple hundred thousand will hear something that shakes their belief that the conduct of their hero was criminal and not at all … “perfect.”

The most important verdict will come in November, 2024. That will be the verdict of the voters.

Forum List

Back