The 22nd Amendment be amended/scrapped

• Yes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • ish, I'll explain my 22ndA tweak

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
If the US people want the same president for more than 2 terms, then should the 22nd Amendment be scrapped/amended?
No.

The reason why they passed the 22nd is because they didn't want a president staying in office until he died, which is pretty much what FDR did.

Without a 22nd Amendment, Reagan would have run for a third and maybe a fourth term, even though he was suffering from Alzheimers, perhaps as early as his second term.

Clinton would have run for additional terms even though he was dealing with heart issues by the mid-aughts.

No thanks, I'd rather not have The Halfrican for the rest of my life. ;)
an astute observation.

an election between trump and obama would be utter ratings gold, and i;m not sure obama would win,

trump 's insult comedy and obama's dry humor would be like a year long comedy central

No.

The reason why they passed the 22nd is because they didn't want a president staying in office until he died, which is pretty much what FDR did.

Without a 22nd Amendment, Reagan would have run for a third and maybe a fourth term, even though he was suffering from Alzheimers, perhaps as early as his second term.

Clinton would have run for additional terms even though he was dealing with heart issues by the mid-aughts.
The point being is, if Reagan had been reelected 3 or 4 times, it's because, the US public wanted Reagan reelected 3 to 4 times. That means, the majority were happy to have Reagan for much longer. In effect, the 22nd kills your democracy because it stops you for voting for who you want to.

The point being is, if Reagan had been reelected 3 or 4 times, it's because, the US public wanted Reagan reelected 3 to 4 times. That means, the majority were happy to have Reagan for much longer. In effect, the 22nd kills your democracy because it stops you for voting for who you want to.

No, it puts a constituitonal limit.

Just like requiring the president to be at least 35 years old, born here, and not from the same state as his running-mate.

The Kings and Queens has nothing to do with the Prime Minister. Are you pissed?? The 22ndA is about America, what is wrong with you?

Of course it's about America. And the purpose of that amendment was to keep us from being like England.

In fact, the majority of the US Constitution was drawn up to keep us from becoming like England.

Of course it's about America. And the purpose of that amendment was to keep us from being like England.

In fact, the majority of the US Constitution was drawn up to keep us from becoming like England.
Are you on the funny juice?

The person who runs America is called the President. The person who runs the UK is called the Prime Minister. The head of state in America is called Joe Biden. The head of state in the UK is the Queen or King.

You haven't a basic clue, have you? Are you flame baiting or just being retarded?

Start a thread up on Monarchies, because you're thick as fuck on them. This thread is about the US's 22nd Amendment.

And the whole point of the thread is..........

To try to advocate against what was a pretty good idea.

There's a reason the 22nd was put into place, and that was to codify what was ALREADY standard practice.

George Washington stepped aside after two terms. Until FDR, everyone followed that very sensible example. Then FDR decided he was indispensable and ran for a third and fourth term, even though everyone around him knew he was DYING when he ran for the fourth term.

So we ended up with a largely unprepared Harry Truman dealing with winding up a World War and an impending Cold War.

To try to advocate against what was a pretty good idea.

There's a reason the 22nd was put into place, and that was to codify what was ALREADY standard practice.

George Washington stepped aside after two terms. Until FDR, everyone followed that very sensible example. Then FDR decided he was indispensable and ran for a third and fourth term, even though everyone around him knew he was DYING when he ran for the fourth term.

So we ended up with a largely unprepared Harry Truman dealing with winding up a World War and an impending Cold War.
Obviously you don't know the thread.

We know what the 22nd covers/is. The question is, does it need amended/scrapped if the people want a specific person to serve as many terms as reelected.

I seem to be fly paper for two fucking retards at the moment.

Obviously you don't know the thread.

We know what the 22nd covers/is. The question is, does it need amended/scrapped if the people want a specific person to serve as many terms as reelected.

I seem to be fly paper for two fucking retards at the moment.
The only retard I can see is the guy who doesn't understand clearly stated context for the 22nd.

If you are so concerned about what the people want, we can start by scrapping the electoral college. That would seem to be a much better idea.

The 22nd should be amended.

The President should be a single 6 year term, once complete the person can never hold the office again. If a President dies in office and the VP becomes President they can run for a full term if they didn't occupy the office for 4 or more years.

I'm so tired of Presidents being more concerned about running for reelection and then spending time on the campaign trail doing just that.

Either that or keep the two term limit but require they cannot be consecutive.

WW

Forum List

Back