Should Selective-Sex Abortions Be Allowed?

Should Selective-Sex Abortions Be Banned in the U.S.?

• Yes, Selective-Sex Abortions Should Be Banned

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No, Selective-Sex Abortions Should Not Be Banned

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Maybe, Selective-Sex Abortions Should be Banned Under Certain Circumstances

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So the government should require that so many girls are born each year?

What will undoubtedly happen is that baby girls will eventually be deemed more valuable than baby boys and the pendulum will swing back.

And btw you are forgetting that China also has a limit on how many children a person can have. I think that is more the problem than selective abortion.

The government should NOT require that so many girls are born each year. Only liberals believe that the government should try to achieve equal outcomes (ie. affirmative action, try to reduce income inequality, equal pay, Community Reinvestment Act, etc)

Conservatives believe in equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

Yes China has horrific forced abortion and forced sterilization policies.

You do realize that you are contradicting yourself don't you?

You say government shouldn't allow selective sex abortions because of social ramifications and then you say the government shouldn't tell anyone how many kids or what sex kids they should have.

I did NOT say that the government shouldn't allow selective sex abortions because of social ramifications. Please reread my comments.

I did say that there would be social ramifications if selective-sex abortions became widespread. I said that there is no evidence of that in the US. I did say that it is atrocious for the Chinese government to force abortions. I believe that the federal government should not force abortions nor outlaw abortions. The states and local governments should be free to make laws regarding everything that is not specifically enumerated in the US constitution.

Last edited:
So what? Since when do the reproductive decisions of a pregnant woman have to take into consideration the potential marriage prospects of another?

Obviously there will be societal problems if there is a much larger percentage of men than women. This is the case in China. It leads to suicides, increased prostitution and generally a lower "quality of life" for hundreds of millions of men.

I heard somewhere that the reason for this is China wants this because more men will end up in the military. If they have no women to worry about...they can put all their attention into their jobs.

It seems more likely to me that it's just a matter of a male-dominated society. With the laws regarding limited children, fathers want to have sons to carry on their name, things like that.

Still, since I certainly don't know a lot about China or the details of their society, I'm not trying to say what you heard is wrong. :)

Worse than the ability to get a sex selective abortion is the concept that we have a people capable of such barbarism that they want them. It's an indication of just how depraved we have become as a people.

Worse than the ability to get a sex selective abortion is the concept that we have a people capable of such barbarism that they want them. It's an indication of just how depraved we have become as a people.

Do you mean we as a people to be humanity as a whole? And when you say how depraved we have become, is that indicative of your belief that humanity has not been as depraved in the past? Because I have to say, I think the idea that humanity is so much more barbarous or depraved now then in the past is a too-often used mistake.

Do you mean we as a people to be humanity as a whole? And when you say how depraved we have become, is that indicative of your belief that humanity has not been as depraved in the past? Because I have to say, I think the idea that humanity is so much more barbarous or depraved now then in the past is a too-often used mistake.

History repeats itself. What was old is new again. Human nature has not changed since the beginning of time. Mankind has a never-ending struggle of good against evil. Mankind is not perfectible.

Last edited:
Obviously there will be societal problems if there is a much larger percentage of men than women. This is the case in China. It leads to suicides, increased prostitution and generally a lower "quality of life" for hundreds of millions of men.

I heard somewhere that the reason for this is China wants this because more men will end up in the military. If they have no women to worry about...they can put all their attention into their jobs.

It seems more likely to me that it's just a matter of a male-dominated society. With the laws regarding limited children, fathers want to have sons to carry on their name, things like that.

Still, since I certainly don't know a lot about China or the details of their society, I'm not trying to say what you heard is wrong. :)

I really don't know for sure either...it's just something i heard about someplace. This article below tho does state as of 2009 there were 2.3 million in the Chinese military.
China military, China arm force, Chinese Army Information, China military information, People's Liberation Army of China, PLA, China National Defense

And, the Bible speaks in Revelation about the huge army from the East in the last war (Armegeddon)....which many believe will be China. However, as of 2010 the US had just about the same number of Military (including Reservists). Since we're "east" of the Middle east, where Armegeddon is supposed to take place, it also could now be the US military the Bible talks about. Guess we'll find out one day! :)

Anyway...it does sound to me and by what i've read, it looks like China IS trying to put together the largest military in the world. And since they don't let females join, they need more men... :dunno:

Although I am definitely pro-chioce, I don't believe in designer families.

If you can raise a girl, you can raise a boy.
If you can raise a boy then you can raise a girl

There is a bit of shallowness in the decision process when a potential parent is googled eyed over raising one sex, but totally derisive about raising another. Think aout it--this is your blood line we are talking about, not designer clothes or the soup of the day.

I swear, there are some really silly-sick people out there.

If abortion is legal then the reason for getting one does not matter.

In theory, I agree with you.

But in practice, don't you think the reason to have an abortion should be grounded in more serious matters than "I like boys more than girls"

By the way, the clinic can be cleared of a selective abortion process. Even if they do give advice about how to conduct one, the true "villain" in the whole ordeal is the woman.

In other words, if we do decide to ban "selective sex abortion", make sure that the heaviest penalty falls on the woman who choose to have one. For it is she that is making the decision. Everyone else is doing their job and should not be held accountable for her shallowness..

I don't believe in abortions at all, so this kind of practice really sickens me.
I can understand a woman that's been raped, gets pregnant by some mad man and doesn't want the child. I believe it's her choice whether to carry it or not...that's between her and God (if she believes). But to have an abortion because the baby isn't the one they want????
It's unbelievable that ANYONE would think this is ok!

Forum List

Back