Should school board members be required to sustitute teach?

God no. If I were teaching (not yet but soon I hope!) I wouldn't want someone under qualified running my classroom. Not to mention that substitute teaching is completely different from full time teaching. (Unless it's a long term substitution.)

Educators often complain that elected officials have no idea what teachers face in the classroom every day.

Now, a Louisiana state rep wants to change that by forcing school board members to substitute teach for three days a year in their districts.

State Rep. Tim Burns, R-Mandeville, has introduced a bill requiring Louisiana school board members to teach for three full school days each year of their term, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Under the bill, school board members could teach in any school within their system. They would not be paid for their substitute stints.

Should school board members be required to serve as substitute teachers? | Get Schooled

I love this idea. I realize it probably won't pass, but I would love to see ANYONE who , thinks they know how to manage a classroom or run a school, "walk the walk".

Comments?

I am right with you.

I've been a peon but actually caring teacher for almost 34 years. I started teaching in high schools because I REALLY wanted my students to learn to love English language and literature as much as I did. Student teaching, NOT paid, was my first reality check. I passed, but I didn't do very well. But my grades were all right.

Then I subbed for a year. HOT DAMN. WORST job of my life.

I spent seven years teaching in two high schools, one Catholic school as a protestant, and one redneck Indiana public high school. The redneck public high school ran me out forever. Too much fighting to do my job.

The next year I landed in a little business college and was elated beyond measure that I could teach and not fight kids! Since then, I've taught as a minor college instructor in three other colleges. I teach middle and high school level stuff mostly because my students didn't learn it in middle and high school. They were busy being obnoxious. Yes, school board people NEED to be subs. They need to fail at what some of us have spent years learning how to handle.

I think some of these idiot know-it-all state reps should spend a few days in a classroom before they can vote on anything concerning education.

That would limit some of stupid stuff coming from state governments..

God no. If I were teaching (not yet but soon I hope!) I wouldn't want someone under qualified running my classroom. Not to mention that substitute teaching is completely different from full time teaching. (Unless it's a long term substitution.)

The way things are going I'd change my major before it's too late..

Educators often complain that elected officials have no idea what teachers face in the classroom every day.

Now, a Louisiana state rep wants to change that by forcing school board members to substitute teach for three days a year in their districts.

State Rep. Tim Burns, R-Mandeville, has introduced a bill requiring Louisiana school board members to teach for three full school days each year of their term, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Under the bill, school board members could teach in any school within their system. They would not be paid for their substitute stints.

Should school board members be required to serve as substitute teachers? | Get Schooled

I love this idea. I realize it probably won't pass, but I would love to see ANYONE who thinks they know how to manage a classroom or run a school, "walk the walk".

Comments?

I like the idea...but...three days in a classroom a year? What would you expect/hope a board member would learn? Tossing an unprepared/untrained person into some classrooms would be an immediate cause for chaos. Does the bill require the board member to prepare a lesson plan? Know and understand the material? Seems to me a better plan would have board members observe, something they should do and have done prior to running for the school board.

If they are in a position such as theirs they are by definition prepared to teach any class they are needed in. My wife and I can teach pretty much any class out there from Community College on down. There are some graduate level classes I'd have to bone up on, but anything short of that is a breeze.

Forum List

Back