Should school board members be required to sustitute teach?

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, May 14, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Should school board members be required to serve as substitute teachers? | Get Schooled

I love this idea. I realize it probably won't pass, but I would love to see ANYONE who thinks they know how to manage a classroom or run a school, "walk the walk".

Comments?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,161
    I like the idea...but...three days in a classroom a year? What would you expect/hope a board member would learn? Tossing an unprepared/untrained person into some classrooms would be an immediate cause for chaos. Does the bill require the board member to prepare a lesson plan? Know and understand the material? Seems to me a better plan would have board members observe, something they should do and have done prior to running for the school board.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    That's not a bad idea either wry. As far as them being unqualified to sub though is not really a problem. Our subs need only 60 credits and are generally clueless as well.

In the 13 years I've been teaching I have only seen 3 board members in our building and that's only because they had kids there. I've suggested they do one hour of lunch duty. That's a learning experience in itself. Lol

4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Great idea. I seem to recall that's the way it was when I was a kid growing up in Seattle.

5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    It's about time.
    Add to this a requirement that principals as well as regional and district personell also sub teach.
    Hell, require a damn parent to attend at least one school board meeting per school year. That would be an eye opener.

6. gxnelson

gxnelson SuperWhoLock

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I think it's a terrible idea. I get the whole walk a mile in our shoes concept but it just doesn't work that way. I was working as an in class math tutor about a month ago. I have the say the dynamics between what the teacher experienced and the sub experienced was completely different.
    Great concept, but in reality, the board member(s) just wouldn't get an accurate idea of the classroom dynamics.

7. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I understand what the OP is saying about the walk the walk too~
    But truth be told, the teachers themselves probably know more than the school board members do, meaning, the teachers could probably do the board members' jobs, plus their own!
    It would be rather neat to see just how some of the board members react to being in such a situation, but I don't think they could handle it.
    But it would give them a lot more insight on just how tough it really is, inside a classroom~

8. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    Dynamics? No. Mayhem? Yes. Let 'em experience the trial by fire.

9. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    YES!!!!

I worked at a ladies boutique one time, oh, for about 6 months until they went out of biz. I was the oldest person there. I think I was around 35 or so. Store was geared for younger women so I was surprised they hired me. They said mother's usually had all the money and came with the college students and high schoolers so I could represent that aspect by being a sales clerk. I was ok with that. Until the bitchface general manager decided to come hang out for a week. She didn't even know how to run the fucking register much less how to hang designer jeans properly or even display eye catching apparel in the windows to attract potential customers passing by in the mall where this store was located. She ragged all the young girls that worked there, bossing them around and tried that shit with me twice. First time, I sighed and took her crap. Second time, I lit in to her like stink on shit. We were very busy and there were impatient customers wanting to be run up. There were TWO registers. I was on one, plus helping people add accessories at the same time. Bitchface stood there with her thumb up her ass and kept telling me to hurry up. I finally told her to get her snotty nose out of the magazine she was thumbing through and get on the other register. She said "I don't know how to run it and I AM YOUR BOSS". I said no, you are SLEEPING with OUR BOSS and as soon as I get home, I'm making a phone call to corporate and ask them why his bimbo knows NOTHING but is bullying everyone in this store". She was fired. He wasn't. I quit. They closed the store a few months later.

But I digress. How can someone run something if they have no clue what that something entails in all aspects????

Another employer one time asked if I knew how people could steal. I said of course. They asked why they should hire me since I knew sneaky ways to steal and I asked them how else would I catch thieves? I was hired on the spot.

10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    That's why I think the sub job would be better than just observing. My students are perfect angels when I am being observed. And while I really appreciate that, it does not give my principal an "authentic experience" of some of the B.S. I have to deal with every day.

Cafeteria duty certainly gives a better picture of the students in their "natural environment". :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011