Should school board members be required to sustitute teach?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Educators often complain that elected officials have no idea what teachers face in the classroom every day.

Now, a Louisiana state rep wants to change that by forcing school board members to substitute teach for three days a year in their districts.

State Rep. Tim Burns, R-Mandeville, has introduced a bill requiring Louisiana school board members to teach for three full school days each year of their term, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Under the bill, school board members could teach in any school within their system. They would not be paid for their substitute stints.

Should school board members be required to serve as substitute teachers? | Get Schooled

I love this idea. I realize it probably won't pass, but I would love to see ANYONE who thinks they know how to manage a classroom or run a school, "walk the walk".

Comments?

Educators often complain that elected officials have no idea what teachers face in the classroom every day.

Now, a Louisiana state rep wants to change that by forcing school board members to substitute teach for three days a year in their districts.

State Rep. Tim Burns, R-Mandeville, has introduced a bill requiring Louisiana school board members to teach for three full school days each year of their term, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Under the bill, school board members could teach in any school within their system. They would not be paid for their substitute stints.

Should school board members be required to serve as substitute teachers? | Get Schooled

I love this idea. I realize it probably won't pass, but I would love to see ANYONE who thinks they know how to manage a classroom or run a school, "walk the walk".

Comments?

I like the idea...but...three days in a classroom a year? What would you expect/hope a board member would learn? Tossing an unprepared/untrained person into some classrooms would be an immediate cause for chaos. Does the bill require the board member to prepare a lesson plan? Know and understand the material? Seems to me a better plan would have board members observe, something they should do and have done prior to running for the school board.

That's not a bad idea either wry. As far as them being unqualified to sub though is not really a problem. Our subs need only 60 credits and are generally clueless as well.

In the 13 years I've been teaching I have only seen 3 board members in our building and that's only because they had kids there. I've suggested they do one hour of lunch duty. That's a learning experience in itself. Lol

Comments?

Great idea. I seem to recall that's the way it was when I was a kid growing up in Seattle.

It's about time.
Add to this a requirement that principals as well as regional and district personell also sub teach.
Hell, require a damn parent to attend at least one school board meeting per school year. That would be an eye opener.

I think it's a terrible idea. I get the whole walk a mile in our shoes concept but it just doesn't work that way. I was working as an in class math tutor about a month ago. I have the say the dynamics between what the teacher experienced and the sub experienced was completely different.
Great concept, but in reality, the board member(s) just wouldn't get an accurate idea of the classroom dynamics.

I understand what the OP is saying about the walk the walk too~
But truth be told, the teachers themselves probably know more than the school board members do, meaning, the teachers could probably do the board members' jobs, plus their own!
It would be rather neat to see just how some of the board members react to being in such a situation, but I don't think they could handle it.
But it would give them a lot more insight on just how tough it really is, inside a classroom~

I think it's a terrible idea. I get the whole walk a mile in our shoes concept but it just doesn't work that way. I was working as an in class math tutor about a month ago. I have the say the dynamics between what the teacher experienced and the sub experienced was completely different.
Great concept, but in reality, the board member(s) just wouldn't get an accurate idea of the classroom dynamics.

Dynamics? No. Mayhem? Yes. Let 'em experience the trial by fire.

YES!!!!

I worked at a ladies boutique one time, oh, for about 6 months until they went out of biz. I was the oldest person there. I think I was around 35 or so. Store was geared for younger women so I was surprised they hired me. They said mother's usually had all the money and came with the college students and high schoolers so I could represent that aspect by being a sales clerk. I was ok with that. Until the bitchface general manager decided to come hang out for a week. She didn't even know how to run the fucking register much less how to hang designer jeans properly or even display eye catching apparel in the windows to attract potential customers passing by in the mall where this store was located. She ragged all the young girls that worked there, bossing them around and tried that shit with me twice. First time, I sighed and took her crap. Second time, I lit in to her like stink on shit. We were very busy and there were impatient customers wanting to be run up. There were TWO registers. I was on one, plus helping people add accessories at the same time. Bitchface stood there with her thumb up her ass and kept telling me to hurry up. I finally told her to get her snotty nose out of the magazine she was thumbing through and get on the other register. She said "I don't know how to run it and I AM YOUR BOSS". I said no, you are SLEEPING with OUR BOSS and as soon as I get home, I'm making a phone call to corporate and ask them why his bimbo knows NOTHING but is bullying everyone in this store". She was fired. He wasn't. I quit. They closed the store a few months later.

But I digress. How can someone run something if they have no clue what that something entails in all aspects????

Another employer one time asked if I knew how people could steal. I said of course. They asked why they should hire me since I knew sneaky ways to steal and I asked them how else would I catch thieves? I was hired on the spot.

Dynamics? No. Mayhem? Yes. Let 'em experience the trial by fire.

That's why I think the sub job would be better than just observing. My students are perfect angels when I am being observed. And while I really appreciate that, it does not give my principal an "authentic experience" of some of the B.S. I have to deal with every day.

Cafeteria duty certainly gives a better picture of the students in their "natural environment". :lol:

those-who-can-teach.png

Last edited:
I question why we allow anyone who is not a professional educator to even BE on a school board.

In many cases these people are wholly unqualified to make any decisions about how to run a school system.

It's funny you say that. They all have an agenda; and it usually has little to do with education. There have always been people complaining about spouses of teachers being on the board. I feel at least they have SOME idea about the concerns (and accomplishments) of the schools. The others? Clueless.

School board members represent the taxpayers not the teachers. They are there to ensure tax dollars are wisely spent

I disagree. That may be why some are elected, but they are supposed to represent THE CHILDREN.

Some say school board members should have kids in the school. I disagree...they represent the voters and taxpayers. If the people of the district do not want a Rolls Royce of an education and vote in someone who wants a Chevy...that's what you get

Comments?
Oh HELL YEAH!

My favorite saying is:

(Just like the button Chanel posted) :cool:

Those who can-TEACH

Those who can't-Pass laws about teaching.

They could teach "magical creation". You can teach the entire six month course in one sentence.

educators often complain that elected officials have no idea what teachers face in the classroom every day.

Now, a louisiana state rep wants to change that by forcing school board members to substitute teach for three days a year in their districts.

State rep. Tim burns, r-mandeville, has introduced a bill requiring louisiana school board members to teach for three full school days each year of their term, according to the new orleans times-picayune.

should school board members be required to serve as substitute teachers? | get schooled

i love this idea. I realize it probably won't pass, but i would love to see anyone who thinks they know how to manage a classroom or run a school, "walk the walk".

Comments?

lmao!

Why the fuck not!!!!!

So?

Shouldn't the board member know what its like to sub?

Forum List

Back