Teaching can be a Dangerous Job - Part 2

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Sean Lanigan’s nightmare began in January 2010, when the principal at Centre Ridge Elementary School pulled him out of the physical education class he was teaching and quietly walked him into an interrogation with two Fairfax County police detectives.

He had no warning that a 12-year-old girl at the Centreville school had accused him of groping and molesting her in the gym.

Within two weeks of the accuser’s report — without ever speaking to the girl — Fairfax detectives arrested Lanigan and charged him with aggravated sexual battery and abduction. The Washington Post is not naming the accuser because she is a minor.

Police issued a press release with Lanigan’s booking photo and home address, and the school district sent home a letter about his arrest. TV trucks descended on the school and his neighborhood, and Lanigan’s reputation took a lasting beating.

“Mr. Lanigan’s a jerk,” the girl told her friends, according to teachers and trial testimony. “I’m going to make him pay.”

Greenspun gently cross-examined, and she admitted a history of bullying younger children, her conflicts with Lanigan and her Facebook posting that “it was a joke.” The girl also acknowledged she was mad at the gym teacher for not playing her favorite music in PE class.

Lanigan remains in limbo, nearly a year after a jury’s acquittal. The Fairfax School District transferred him from Centre Ridge in a move that ultimately forced his wife to quit her job. School officials are now transferring him again. And the district has refused to pay his $125,000 in legal fees, even though Virginia law allows reimbursement for employees who are cleared of wrongdoing on the job.

Fairfax teacher Sean Lanigan still suffering from false molestation allegations - The Washington Post

His lawyer wanted him to plead guilty to a lesser charge. He refused because he had done nothing wrong.

Should there be any consequence for the student?

Yes I would sure hope so.
This mess cost this man and his family a whole helluva lot!
I know she is only 12, but if she was devious enough to come up with that plan, she should be held accountable~
After all, she wasn't playing baby games, she was out for revenge.
What her punishment should be tho, I haven't a clue at this moment~
A sad fucking story.....but kudos to the guy for refusing to plea to a lesser charge....his lawyer should be bitch slapped for asking such a thing~

Not necessarily related to the OP, but I must say I'm relieved that Mrs. H. has just a few weeks remaining in her short career as a teacher. I've not lost faith in education per se, but in the system and the people by whom it's administered.

Yes...this kind of thing one of the hazards of the professsion....particularly for males

Looks to me like there's an opportunity for an insurance company to sell teachers false sexual misconduct allegation insurance.

Not necessarily related to the OP, but I must say I'm relieved that Mrs. H. has just a few weeks remaining in her short career as a teacher. I've not lost faith in education per se, but in the system and the people by whom it's administered.

I do agree with you sir~
It's a damn shame isn't it??

What will she do now Mr H? I must say there have been a few times I contemplated leaving. In order to avoid "compassion fatigue", I've had to detach. It's difficult some times, but necessary to maintain sanity. Ive seen too many great teachers turn bitter, depressed, or just batshit crazy after 20 years. It could happen to anyone.

Forum List

Back