Should PTSD patients be able to purchase weapons

Talked to a Iraqi vet yesterday.

The VA is declaring just about everyone who is an Iraqi or Afghanistan vet to have PTSD.

They're sending letters to them telling them they could be charged if they own guns.

Obama Declares Countless Veterans Incompetent So That He Can Take Away Their Guns // Mr. Conservative

Chris Kyle the Best Ever US Sniper & Navy Seal survived 4 tours in Iraq with a $180,000 bounty on his head, killed 255 enemy, 160 confirmed kills, wrote the American Sniper book that was made into the American Sniper movie, was shot & killed here in the USA by an Iraqi Vet. Unstable people should not have guns!

Talked to a Iraqi vet yesterday.

The VA is declaring just about everyone who is an Iraqi or Afghanistan vet to have PTSD.

They're sending letters to them telling them they could be charged if they own guns.

Obama Declares Countless Veterans Incompetent So That He Can Take Away Their Guns // Mr. Conservative

Chris Kyle the Best Ever US Sniper & Navy Seal survived 4 tours in Iraq with a $180,000 bounty on his head, killed 255 enemy, 160 confirmed kills, wrote the American Sniper book that was made into the American Sniper movie, was shot & killed here in the USA by an Iraqi Vet. Unstable people should not have guns!
And we have a means to do that. Legally if you want to deny someone their rights you have to prove to a Judge that they are incompetent mentally. Until you do that or convict them of a specific crime you do not get to deny rights to them. Your opinion is not fact nor is it a legal decision.

How can people who are allegedly concerned about gun violence in America turn around and authorize admittedly mentally disturbed Veterans the right to purchase a weapon? Is there some sort of perverted concept of payback for Military service that trumps the safety of citizens? Didn't the death of Chris Kyle by a disturbed Veteran who claimed to have PTSD teach anyone anything? What about clinically depressed Veterans who are so disturbed that they are prescribed medication and blame their Military service for their depression? Should we authorize them to pick up an instrument for suicide (and murder?) at the nearest gun store?

How can people who are allegedly concerned about gun violence in America turn around and authorize admittedly mentally disturbed Veterans the right to purchase a weapon? Is there some sort of perverted concept of payback for Military service that trumps the safety of citizens? Didn't the death of Chris Kyle by a disturbed Veteran who claimed to have PTSD teach anyone anything? What about clinically depressed Veterans who are so disturbed that they are prescribed medication and blame their Military service for their depression? Should we authorize them to pick up an instrument for suicide (and murder?) at the nearest gun store?
Once again for the slow and stupid..... There is a process to deny a right to own firearms. You must bring the person before a Judge and have that Judge adjudicate that the person is mentally incompetent. Sorry that you do not want to follow the law and think your whining and complaining somehow trump the Constitution and the law.

Most sane Americans including the NRA would be the first to take a stand against crazy people obtaining firearms. In fact a greater number of anti-2nd Amendment activists would most likely agree. Where do we start when we want to restrict mental patients from obtaining firearms? The state of Virginia learned it's lesson after the worst school shooting in American history at Va.Tech Blacksburg when a student avoided arrest for stalking female students and was sentenced to psychiatric counseling. Liberal politicians had decided that the privacy issue of mental patients trumps the right of civilians and the psychiatric issue did not show up in the instant name check and the crazy monster "legally" purchased firearms and ultimately murdered about 30 people. Should we exempt admitted mentally ill Veterans from the psychiatric part of the instant name check because we "owe" them for their voluntary service?

There is a difference between mental illness and psychosis. You are using the two terms interchangeably, which is intellectually sloppy and a sign that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

PTSD =/= psychosis. Nor are people who are diagnosed with PTSD significantly more likely to be involved in a violent crime than anyone else. Depression =/= psychosis, either.

You don't seem to grasp that the burden of proof is very high when attempting to remove someone's constitutional rights, and that's as it should be.

There is a difference between mental illness and psychosis. You are using the two terms interchangeably, which is intellectually sloppy and a sign that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

PTSD =/= psychosis. Nor are people who are diagnosed with PTSD significantly more likely to be involved in a violent crime than anyone else. Depression =/= psychosis, either.

You don't seem to grasp that the burden of proof is very high when attempting to remove someone's constitutional rights, and that's as it should be.
Your Constitutional right to purchase a firearm is subject to well established conditions so don't try to play the Constitutional right and burden of proof game. I don't think the ATF makes a distinction between patients treated for psychosis and patients treated for mental illness. Should we allow psychotic patients to purchase a firearm?

Your Constitutional right to purchase a firearm is subject to well established conditions so don't try to play the Constitutional right and burden of proof game. I don't think the ATF makes a distinction between patients treated for psychosis and patients treated for mental illness. Should we allow psychotic patients to purchase a firearm?
Until a Judge rules they are incompetent you don't get to decide who can own firearms.

Only a pluperfect idiot would think the ATF has-or should have-the authority to void 2nd amendment rights by defining competency any way they would like. Give them that power and they will immediately decide that anyone with different politics is obviously mentally ill and must be locked away for the protection of all.

I don't have guns out of choice. Not because I think I might go off on someone but because there are better things to spend my money on. I don't fear that someone is going to attack me in my home or on the street. I don't see commies everywhere. When I see some idiot open carrying a weapon, now that makes me uncomfortable. I don't choose to confront them, I just leave. I stay away from areas that are subject to have muggings, rapes, murder, etc..

If you choose to invade my house, my first reaction will be to avoid you while I dial 911. Then when I do confront you, I don't need a gun to kill you. I don't need guns to protect myself or family because they also avoid the environment where a gun is necessary.

But it's my choice to own a gun or not. I am retired Military and diagnosed with PTSD. If that scares you then you have the right to avoid me at all costs just like I have the choice to avoid you.

Only a pluperfect idiot would think the ATF has-or should have-the authority to void 2nd amendment rights by defining competency any way they would like. Give them that power and they will immediately decide that anyone with different politics is obviously mentally ill and must be locked away for the protection of all.

This is part of a "Scare" tactic. I don't think the ATF is going to tell me that I can't own a gun if I choose to own one. But I do know that they will require a background check and proper storage for the more aggressive Military Arms like Automatic Fire Weapons, Hand Grenades, Rockets, etc..

When I see some idiot open carrying a weapon, now that makes me uncomfortable

Being around police officers makes you uncomfortable?

If he has a reason for wearing it then , no, I don't have a problem. But your question is noted as a knee jerk to spread the "Fear" and is ignored

No, my question came from an honest effort to understand your reasoning. You appear to believe that you protect your home and family with some magical ability. You also have an ability to know where crime will and will not occur and cannot imagine a reason for being in such a place or someone committing crime in an area you have mentally deemed "safe". You also have a mental ability to know who does and doesn't have good reason for being armed.
I really don't care what makes you comfortable. I am more comfortable armed than not.

If he has a reason for wearing it then , no, I don't have a problem. But your question is noted as a knee jerk to spread the "Fear" and is ignored

No, my question came from an honest effort to understand your reasoning. You appear to believe that you protect your home and family with some magical ability. You also have an ability to know where crime will and will not occur and cannot imagine a reason for being in such a place or someone committing crime in an area you have mentally deemed "safe". You also have a mental ability to know who does and doesn't have good reason for being armed.
I really don't care what makes you comfortable. I am more comfortable armed than not.

Thank you for clarifying this. You are exactly the type of person that should NOT be armed. You see danger around every corner. Or you go into areas that are high crime areas. Hate to break it to you but you may be part of the problem. And you would make me very uncomfortable to be around with in public. I might be trying to text while chewing gum and we all know where that leads around an armed citizen.

Sorry but you do not get to dictate what a person can lawfully do. If it is legal to carry open and someone does it you have no right or power to stop them. And being afraid of them is childish and foolish.

Sorry but you do not get to dictate what a person can lawfully do. If it is legal to carry open and someone does it you have no right or power to stop them. And being afraid of them is childish and foolish.

Actually, you are wrong. I do get to dictate as much as every other State Citizen can. While I support the CCW, the open carry like it done today in some states is dangerous as hell. If a shooter comes in with PTSD, you and those like you are the primary targets first. Now the real target that may stop the shooter may be that smiling old grandmother with her CCW and her weapon hidden from site. All you are going to do is add to the number of weapons that shooter has to work with. Meanwhile, Grandma and other like here are the real inhibitor.

We do need to call ahead when you go to a theater so that everyone in there knows not to chew gum and text. We all know how dangerous a gum chewing texter is.

Actually, you are wrong. I do get to dictate as much as every other State Citizen can. While I support the CCW, the open carry like it done today in some states is dangerous as hell. If a shooter comes in with PTSD, you and those like you are the primary targets first. Now the real target that may stop the shooter may be that smiling old grandmother with her CCW and her weapon hidden from site. All you are going to do is add to the number of weapons that shooter has to work with. Meanwhile, Grandma and other like here are the real inhibitor.

We do need to call ahead when you go to a theater so that everyone in there knows not to chew gum and text. We all know how dangerous a gum chewing texter is.
I dare you to try and tell an open carry person they have no right to exercise that right, call a cop and watch your entire claim go up in smoke.

Wrong. Every business has the legal right to restrict you from entering with that weapon. Most will not want you walking around with that gun on your hip. If I own a business, I would certainly refuse you entry with that weapon. It's my right and not one you can take away from me. You seem to want to dictate what rights I can have and what rights I can't have. Nice try.

I dare you to try and tell an open carry person they have no right to exercise that right, call a cop and watch your entire claim go up in smoke.

Do you mean that a business (like a cafe) decides you can't enter with your weapon you can bully your way in? Guess who goes to jail and LOSES your right to open carry? What you going to do, shoot your way in? Grandma may be waiting.

Forum List

Back