Should PTSD patients be able to purchase weapons

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
First of all I do not agree with the current administration's opinion that American Military Veterans should be suspected of engaging in domestic terrorism. I do, however, believe that Veterans who have been determined to be so psychotic that they are awarded a disability pension related to their mental disorder should never be able to legally possess or purchase a firearm unless their specific psychiatric veterans administrator signs off on each forearm.

PTSD doesn't make a person a danger to himself, or others...millions of guys (and gals ) suffer from it, including many police officers...W. Churchill, both Presidents Roosevelt, A Lincoln, US Grant, and T jfferson all suffered from depression--(would you have taken their guns?) When a person has a psychotic condition that affects his ability to properly assess reality--schizophrenia, for instance--THEN the guns need to be taken. Or, if a person is genuinely suicidal, take his guns (force him to use a less messy method since people who are determined to kill themselves WILL kill themselves) There is NO ONE that can't be labelled with some sort of mental disorder. If the shrink can't label you, he can't bill you...try to relax, whitehall....you've got your boxers in a knot over nothing...anxiety disorder?

First of all I do not agree with the current administration's opinion that American Military Veterans should be suspected of engaging in domestic terrorism. I do, however, believe that Veterans who have been determined to be so psychotic that they are awarded a disability pension related to their mental disorder should never be able to legally possess or purchase a firearm unless their specific psychiatric veterans administrator signs off on each forearm.

Once again you slow witted idiot, only COMPETENT AUTHORITY can declare on mentally incompetent. As in a Judge.

I have PTSD, and I have a firearm.

Do you think it should be taken away fro me? On what basis?

Point in fact, every veteran probably has PTSD to one degree or another. It is not only caused by combat, but by any situation where the individual is under tremendous stress or a violent shock. It may be because they were in a vehicle which was in an accident, it may be because a friend was killed hundreds of miles away.

And we all handle it differently. For the most part, mine is non-existent, unless I am in a large rowdy crowd. And even then I do not get angry or violent, I simply try to quickly and quietly leave it as soon as possible.

Point in fact, every veteran probably has PTSD to one degree or another. It is not only caused by combat, but by any situation where the individual is under tremendous stress or a violent shock. It may be because they were in a vehicle which was in an accident, it may be because a friend was killed hundreds of miles away.

And we all handle it differently. For the most part, mine is non-existent, unless I am in a large rowdy crowd. And even then I do not get angry or violent, I simply try to quickly and quietly leave it as soon as possible.

If you are on psychotropic drugs for your PTSD, you should not be allowed to have guns.

If you are on psychotropic drugs for your PTSD, you should not be allowed to have guns.

But I am. Actually, I take a great many psychotropic drugs.

Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol, and Benadryl are all psychotropic drugs.

I am drunk, have had 4 cups of coffee, am smoking a cigarette, and have hay fever. Do you really want to take my gun away?

PTSD doesn't make a person a danger to himself, or others...millions of guys (and gals ) suffer from it, including many police officers...W. Churchill, both Presidents Roosevelt, A Lincoln, US Grant, and T jfferson all suffered from depression--(would you have taken their guns?) When a person has a psychotic condition that affects his ability to properly assess reality--schizophrenia, for instance--THEN the guns need to be taken. Or, if a person is genuinely suicidal, take his guns (force him to use a less messy method since people who are determined to kill themselves WILL kill themselves) There is NO ONE that can't be labelled with some sort of mental disorder. If the shrink can't label you, he can't bill you...try to relax, whitehall....you've got your boxers in a knot over nothing...anxiety disorder?

You don't get a pension for anxiety disorder and most of the time there is no pension award for PTSD. When a person is so psychotic that the government awards a disability it's an indication of a serious mental disorder. Civilians who undergo court ordered psychological treatment can't purchase guns in most states. All I'm saying is that the V.A. should have to take responsibility if a psychologically damaged Vet wants to buy a gun.

I am drunk, have had 4 cups of coffee, am smoking a cigarette, and have hay fever. Do you really want to take my gun away?

Well I meant the prescription type psychotropic drugs. But it would be best to lock up your guns until you sober up.

Once again you slow witted idiot, only COMPETENT AUTHORITY can declare on mentally incompetent. As in a Judge.

Lighten up gunny. We are discussing whether or not persons who admit to a psychosis and are determined by a licensed psychiatrist to be so severely disabled by it that they are awarded a disability pension should be able to purchase a firearm. We can get to the legal issues later. Look up the symptoms of common PSTD and multiply the anger episodes, drug/alcohol abuse, incapacitating bad dreams to the point that they are disabled and you have a recipe for disaster.

Depends.

Are you in a bar?

I agree.

Also agree.

What happens if someone with PTSD and a gun shoots themselves because they can't cope? Does everyone just shrug their shoulders and not care?

Lighten up gunny. We are discussing whether or not persons who admit to a psychosis and are determined by a licensed psychiatrist to be so severely disabled by it that they are awarded a disability pension should be able to purchase a firearm. We can get to the legal issues later. Look up the symptoms of common PSTD and multiply the anger episodes, drug/alcohol abuse, incapacitating bad dreams to the point that they are disabled and you have a recipe for disaster.

I am diagnosed with paranoid delusions, paranoid delusional disorder and major recurring major depression. I am rated 70 percent disabled by VA and paid at the 100 percent rate due to the inability to work. I take Geodon and celexia. Guess what numbnuts? I own firearms. I have never EVER tried to shot anyone or raise a weapon in anger. I have a psychiatrist and a therapist I see all the time, once a week for the therapist about once every 2 months for the Doctor. Both know I own weapons, both know I can buy more weapons, both know my diagnosis. Neither have EVER sent me before a judge.

You simply do NOT know what you are babbling about.

Also agree.

What happens if someone with PTSD and a gun shoots themselves because they can't cope? Does everyone just shrug their shoulders and not care?

Nothing happens as it should be. Except that the family grieves. You do NOT get to say who can and can not own firearms. I have been suicidal my whole life. Was under Control until Dec 1994, from 1994 to 2004 it most definitely was not under control. I even tried once to kill myself but not with a firearm. My doctor NEVER sent me before a judge to have my right to own firearms removed. I STILL own firearms.

And you won't be taking them away any time soon.

Also agree.

Nothing happens as it should be. Except that the family grieves. You do NOT get to say who can and can not own firearms. I have been suicidal my whole life. Was under Control until Dec 1994, from 1994 to 2004 it most definitely was not under control. I even tried once to kill myself but not with a firearm. My doctor NEVER sent me before a judge to have my right to own firearms removed. I STILL own firearms.

If you are suicidal you shouldn't have a gun. Period. You are a danger to yourself every single day.

Also agree.

If you are suicidal you shouldn't have a gun. Period. You are a danger to yourself every single day.

And it is no ones business except my families if I am considering suicide. Funny how as I recall you were all for assisted suicide but now claim no one should have a firearm.

There are certainly various symptoms of PTSD that impact on clinically mentally disabled Veterans and nobody should object to maybe a panel of psychiatric consultants taking it case by case. I think Veterans deserve every break but what do you do with a violent angry Veteran on a PTSD pension if he is clearly unstable? Turn the other way because we owe him?

There are certainly various symptoms of PTSD that impact on clinically mentally disabled Veterans and nobody should object to maybe a panel of psychiatric consultants taking it case by case. I think Veterans deserve every break but what do you do with a violent angry Veteran on a PTSD pension if he is clearly unstable? Turn the other way because we owe him?

Apparently you should let him keep his guns, and allow him to go on a rampage, in which he murders others and himself, and then insist that it was still his right to own a weapon and that we shouldn't condemn him because he was mentally ill.

It would seem that the 'right' to own a gun is so important, it is more important than public safety.

The problem I see with your idea is, if you take away their guns, they'll just use knives, or bows, or their cars......

What do you want to do, lock up every vet with PTSD? And where are you going to get the panel of psychiatric consultants from? Who's going to pay them?

Why make a particular issue over veterans with PTSD? There are plenty of people in the general population who've got some degree of it - like most who were raised in a home with an alcoholic or psychotic parent.

Do you know who Bill Mauldin was? He had some comments to make about a similar 'concern' expressed by people after 'his' war......

Forum List

Back