Should President Trump be allowed a 3rd term?

Well....in extra-ordinary times we need extraordinary leaders like Trump or FDR during WW2 who was allowed 4 terms

The ill-considered impeachment efforts against President Donald Trump have seriously interfered with his first term as president. Thus, argues constitutional scholar William Mattox in The Wall Street Journal, if acquitted, Trump should be eligible for a third term, notwithstanding the two-term limit in the 22nd Amendment.

Mattox deploys a sports analogy: “In the National Football League, teams can challenge a call on the field — but there’s a risk. If instant replay doesn’t merit overturning the call, the challenging team loses one of its three timeouts. That discourages frivolous challenges and keeps the game flowing, while also providing a way to reverse egregious errors.”

Hence, a third term for the president: “That would allow him to make up for the time lost advancing the agenda that voters elected him to enact. It would preserve impeachment for genuine offenses but discourage its use for disputed ones and for mere politics. Absent such an amendment, and in an era when government is divided more often than not, impeachment seems likely to become an increasingly common means of opposition.”

560236c9-7d50-49d7-8cc0-5e88c7a4e8e8-AFP_AFP_1JO1R0.JPG
The reason why we have 2 terms is because of FDR. There are no extraordinary circumstances that justifies a 3rd term and you're a little ahead of yourself given that trump won't get a second term. Trumps problems are of his own making and nothing has prevented him from doing his job.

Liberal Deep Staters, the media and democrats have conspired to rob trump of his first term

so he deserves a third term as compensation

But its not allowed under the Constitution

...Some are so stupid they cannot grasp how well we are doing.
"What doth an American who gaineth a fatter pocketbook yet loseth his Republic?"

Short-term economic gains are not sufficient to offset a grotesque weakening of constitutional government.

Not by a long shot.

Of course, shallow thinkers who can't see beyond the end of their noses or 401(k)'s really don't 'get' that.

...Some are so stupid they cannot grasp how well we are doing.
"What doth an American who gaineth a fatter pocketbook yet loseth his Republic?"

Short-term economic gains are not sufficient to offset a grotesque weakening of constitutional government.

Not by a long shot.

Of course, shallow thinkers who can't see beyond the end of their noses or 401(k)'s really don't 'get' that.
If we expose the dirty dealings of the unelected Deep State and the corrupt democrats in congress our republic will be much safer

it is remarkable that a candidate like Trump who knew so little and had no experience at governing could receive as many votes as he did based solely on his constructed persona of a straight-talker who would cater to the prejudices of regular guys, including championing their interests at the expense of professional elites and stopping immigrants and minorities from "cutting in line"

even as experts rejected Trump's candidacy, his supporters rejected the experts' putative authority about what's good for America

because of the hardship in their own lives, a large part of the public were willing to embrace an angry proto-fascist populist

Some conservatives around here are just plain insane.

Your worship Trump like it's a cult.
I do not know about worship. But the 2016 election was one great upset. Voters usually do not know anything the elites do about what is trending. Having the elites and their media surrogate elites on election night crying, whining, demeaning and then threatening the voters while explaining what they expected was an eye opener. They went through the five phases of grief in a few hours. And then it has been on repeat mode for the last three years.

it is remarkable that a candidate like Trump who knew so little and had no experience at governing could receive as many votes as he did based solely on his constructed persona of a straight-talker who would cater to the prejudices of regular guys, including championing their interests at the expense of professional elites and stopping immigrants and minorities from "cutting in line"

even as experts rejected Trump's candidacy, his supporters rejected the experts' putative authority about what's good for America

because of the hardship in their own lives, a large part of the public were willing to embrace an angry proto-fascist populist

Tell us something we do not know??? Of course we know what is best for America....we...as in those of us who elected him.

The democrats want to reject elections and let the elites and so called experts nominate and place in control some or in fact any pc leftwing imbecile...duh

The President should be allowed a 3rd a 4rd a 5th a 6th and a forever term!

((((( GOD BLESS President Trump! )))))

It's him forever.....................forever! Bless

We fought for our freedom... to be free of a monarchy for good reason, Skye. I don't ever wish that for my country again. And a dictator is an even worse idea.

I think the founding fathers set up a pretty great system.

Forever and ever and ever and ever.......yup! for an Eternity! :tongue:

heheheheh.....lighten up woman.

Can't you see when people get a little too enthusiastic? GEZZZZ :laugh:

But a second term for sure! Is that Ok with ya'?:wink_2:

We fought for our freedom... to be free of a monarchy for good reason, Skye. I don't ever wish that for my country again. And a dictator is an even worse idea.

Oh hell yeah. Second term for sure. I sure appreciate all the fuck ups and crappy behavior those democrats are
putting out there. It just helps Trump.

I guess they really want him to win 2024 too!

Oh hell yeah. Second term for sure. I sure appreciate all the fuck ups and crappy behavior those democrats are
putting out there. It just helps Trump.

I guess they really want him to win 2024 too!

I mean....can't you take a joke?

Can't you understand what people are saying in a joking manner?

you have to learn in politics: an attack unanswered is an attack believed.

Trump pushes back 10 times harder when he is attacked, and that's why he kicks ass so much!

Well....in extra-ordinary times we need extraordinary leaders like Trump or FDR during WW2 who was allowed 4 terms

The ill-considered impeachment efforts against President Donald Trump have seriously interfered with his first term as president. Thus, argues constitutional scholar William Mattox in The Wall Street Journal, if acquitted, Trump should be eligible for a third term, notwithstanding the two-term limit in the 22nd Amendment.

Mattox deploys a sports analogy: “In the National Football League, teams can challenge a call on the field — but there’s a risk. If instant replay doesn’t merit overturning the call, the challenging team loses one of its three timeouts. That discourages frivolous challenges and keeps the game flowing, while also providing a way to reverse egregious errors.”

Hence, a third term for the president: “That would allow him to make up for the time lost advancing the agenda that voters elected him to enact. It would preserve impeachment for genuine offenses but discourage its use for disputed ones and for mere politics. Absent such an amendment, and in an era when government is divided more often than not, impeachment seems likely to become an increasingly common means of opposition.”

No.

He shouldn’t have been allowed a first term.

I have frankly just gotten too damn used to Trumpskies suggesting that Trump can just ignore the Constitution.

Trump has literally gotten Republicans to start to believe that Trump just is not bound by the Constitution like other Presidents- more akin to a king or despot than an American President.
Actually, most on the right have had nothing but contempt for the Constitution and its case law since well before Trump.

Trump is merely a symptom of the disease that is conservative political dogma.

Some conservatives around here are just plain insane.

Your worship Trump like it's a cult.
I do not know about worship. But the 2016 election was one great upset. Voters usually do not know anything the elites do about what is trending. Having the elites and their media surrogate elites on election night crying, whining, demeaning and then threatening the voters while explaining what they expected was an eye opener. They went through the five phases of grief in a few hours. And then it has been on repeat mode for the last three years.

Looks like worship to me.

I don't think it's rational to favor rejecting the rules laid out in the constitution just because you like Trump sooooooo much. Sounds ridiculous to me.

What kinda crazy stupid is this? We can hardly afford 1 term. Trillion dollar deficits....

Forum List

Back