Should Occupy have to pay??

The Tea Party is thinking the Occupy Protestors should have to pay for property damage, extra security, space and other expenses associated with their protests.

Since the Tea Party paid for all the permits, processed all the paper work necessary and cleaned up behind themselves, shouldn't the OWS have to as well??

I hear they are collecting quite a bit in cash donations. Seems like they could reimburse the cities for the costs.

You mean share the wealth ? I hear that the 20 cop that have been injured in New York are talking about takeing OWS to court for damages.

I think they should have to pay. As should the tea party....and they didn't always pay.

But I have to laugh at these idiots posting on this thread that are always whining about permitting fees and such as being taxes designed as a way for the government to control the population. Now it's different. Somehow.

You know who you are.

The only difference is the unequal application of the law between the Tea party events and the OWS events.

For example Tea party says cities favor Occupy protesters - Boston.com
Did you mean to post this?

As Michele Bachmann riled a group of feisty Tea Partiers to rail against taxes and government spending, taxpayers were quietly forced to pick up a $13,600 tab for their festivities.

New expense reports from last November’s Tea Party gathering in Washington, D.C. reveal that the rally comprising thousands of protesters was funded by official congressional money, according to the the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Ouch: Tea Party rally cost taxpayers almost $14,000 | The Raw Story

I agree that blows no tax payer money should be going to these heavily partisan events. That's seriously bull crap. Tea party and OWS alike need to pay for these protests themselves.

NYPD Union Threatens to Sue Occupy Wall Street Protesters
October 27, 2011 6:12pm | By Julie Shapiro, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer
shareprint
SEE MORE PHOTOS

NYPD Union Threatens to Sue Occupy Wall Street Protesters - DNAinfo.com

NYPD sergeants threaten to sue Wall Street protesters - NYPOST.com

MANHATTAN — Occupy Wall Street protesters who scuffle with the NYPD might get hit back — with a lawsuit.

EXCLUSIVE

"Deeply concerned" police sergeants are coming out swinging today against obnoxious Wall Street protesters, saying they plan to "pursue legal action" against demonstrators who injure any of its members.

Ed Mullins, president of the NYPD's Sergeant’s Benevolent Association, said his group plans to pursue legal claims against Occupy Wall Street protesters should they cause injury to any of its 5,000 members.

“In light of the growing violence attendant to the 'Occupy' movements across the country, particularly as evidenced by the recent events in Oakland, I am compelled to place these so-called 'occupiers' on notice that physical assaults on police officers will not be tolerated," he said.

Read more: NYPD sergeants threaten to sue Wall Street protesters - NYPOST.com

The Tea Party is thinking the Occupy Protestors should have to pay for property damage, extra security, space and other expenses associated with their protests.

Since the Tea Party paid for all the permits, processed all the paper work necessary and cleaned up behind themselves, shouldn't the OWS have to as well??

I hear they are collecting quite a bit in cash donations. Seems like they could reimburse the cities for the costs.

You mean share the wealth ? I hear that the 20 cop that have been injured in New York are talking about takeing OWS to court for damages.

O.W.S. taking a physical toll on the NYPD | DOWNTOWN EXPRESS

Police Announce Plans To Sue Occupy Wall Street Demonstrators | PolitickerNY

“To date, over twenty police officers have been injured in ‘Occupy Wall Street’ related incidents,” he said. ”I am deeply concerned that protestors will be emboldened by the recent rash of violent acts against police officers in other cities. New York’s police officers are working around the clock as the already overburdened economy in New York is being drained by ‘occupiers’ who intentionally and maliciously instigate needless and violent confrontations with the police. In response, I have instructed the SBA’s attorneys to pursue the harshest possible civil sanctions – including monetary damages – against any individual protestor who causes injury to my members. Protestors are not immunized from civil liability merely because their victims are wearing the uniform of the New York City Police Department.”

The only difference is the unequal application of the law between the Tea party events and the OWS events.

As Michele Bachmann riled a group of feisty Tea Partiers to rail against taxes and government spending, taxpayers were quietly forced to pick up a $13,600 tab for their festivities.

New expense reports from last November’s Tea Party gathering in Washington, D.C. reveal that the rally comprising thousands of protesters was funded by official congressional money, according to the the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

I agree that blows no tax payer money should be going to these heavily partisan events. That's seriously bull crap. Tea party and OWS alike need to pay for these protests themselves.
Yep. Rep for you and thanks for not ignoring that as I bet most of the other posters will.

Both groups will claim (both with some legitimacy) that they are not 'partisan'. However, it is not necessarily right that taxpayers should pick up the tab for protests. On the other hand... it is a very fine line we walk when we seek to limit those rights by forcing groups to pay.

I don't think it's as 'black or white' as we present it to be. The long term implications for insisting that they be paid for by the protesters would make it very easy for those with the power to curtail a protest to do so by making it too expensive.

Tricky stuff.

I think they should have to pay. As should the tea party....and they didn't always pay.

But I have to laugh at these idiots posting on this thread that are always whining about permitting fees and such as being taxes designed as a way for the government to control the population. Now it's different. Somehow.

You know who you are.

Um yea, that's one day, one rally. It's already cost the city of Atlanta over $300,000.00 for the Occupiers in Woodruff Park. They were only there two or three weeks, they've been in NY for about 6 weeks. I can't wait to see what that bill is.

Yes, they should act responsibly like those awful Tea Party folks do. But when you have guys like some of the left idiots around here amongst them it is no surprise that they feel they have no obligation to do whats right. I mean illegal drugs and free food what more could they want?

The OWS movement has been camped out next to Wall St for 20 days.

I doubt another 20, 30 or 40 days will improve their messaging skills.

If I were a New Yorker living in that area I'd be pretty damned sick of the site, sound and smell by now.

Time for these losers to leave.

Both groups will claim (both with some legitimacy) that they are not 'partisan'. However, it is not necessarily right that taxpayers should pick up the tab for protests. On the other hand... it is a very fine line we walk when we seek to limit those rights by forcing groups to pay.

I don't think it's as 'black or white' as we present it to be. The long term implications for insisting that they be paid for by the protesters would make it very easy for those with the power to curtail a protest to do so by making it too expensive.

Tricky stuff.

A five hour protest or ralley is another daily occurance in any given municipaliuty and rarely involves overtime to public employees to cater to the event or aftermath. It is very much like a parade or a salute to someone or a "grand opening" of a park...or whatever.
It does not cost the municipality any more moeny than they are already paying the employees to "do their jobs".

However, we should not be comparing the OWS protests to 5 hour ralleys. Sometimes they take place at night when less city workers usually work...they sometimes last for days, weeks, and now coming on months....24 hours of police presence needed...and an extraordianry amount of cleanup required....not to mentiuon the hundreds of arrests that cost overtime as well as they are well above and beyond the normal amount of arrests on any given day or night.

There is a difference...a BIG difference...although those on the left continue to compare them as apples to apples....you know....like Obama did.

Shows all of us how naive he was to the Tea Party Ralleys.

Sad...the president does not see any difference between a peaceful ralley and a disruptive, sometimes aggresive porotest.

Last edited:

Um yea, that's one day, one rally. It's already cost the city of Atlanta over $300,000.00 for the Occupiers in Woodruff Park. They were only there two or three weeks, they've been in NY for about 6 weeks. I can't wait to see what that bill is.

I wonder if Raw Story has any intention of printing those figures when they come out. Betcha they dont?

Pay to protest in a democracy?

The right has NO commitment to the spirit the founders built this country on.

First of all, we are a constitutional republic, second of all, noone is saying they cannot demonstrate, but they should do so responsibly and clean up after themselves and pay for any damages that they do. I know, that word "Responsibility" terrifies those of you on the left, which explains why you cannot comprehend what the OP is saying.
If you where walking down the road and just threw a rock through someones window dont you think you should have to pay for that? Yes, you should, and this is no different, if they tear up property they should have to pay for the damages.

Pay to protest in a democracy?

The right has NO commitment to the spirit the founders built this country on.

Every Tea Party rally has had to pay....!

You idiots would be flopping around like fish if they had pulled the shit these squatters are allowed to get away with.

Tea Partiers are law abiding citizens unlike these animals. The Squatters are hoping for a violent end to it all.....

How long are we going to have to put up with the double standard?

At least until it starts snowing up there and they begin to want some of that $500,000 that has been stowed away by their own 1% for hotel rooms but dont get it, then they will slowly slink back into their moms basements.

What a neighbor thinks of them....

The protesters have driven our neighborhood into the proverbial toilet (pun intended). Not only does the occupation impact the park and the adjacent streets – where it smells like rotting food and raw sewage – but also impacts us blocks away.

Barricades have been erected in order to block their access to landmarks and terrorist targets. These barricades also prohibit residents from walking freely in their own neighborhood.

Children are frightened, the elderly are forced to walk blocks out of their way to fill a prescription, and our sidewalks are soiled because dogs don’t have access to the curbs.

Local retailers and restaurants are reporting drops in foot traffic and sales. Real Estate Brokers are seeing decreased activity in terms of responses to listings – which has a direct impact on our property values. Several of my neighbors have fled the neighborhood and are selling their apartments.

Our building has been burgled three times by protesters – once to wedge all access doors open (likely for future break-ins), once to hang a protest banner from a window and once to vandalize our building in the name of “art”. So now, not only are we significantly inconvenienced, we are now in fear of our safety and security.

Quite frankly, we are not interested in a “good neighbor policy”. These occupiers are not our neighbors. Our neighbors don’t beat on drums while children are napping, our neighbors do not verbally attack people on their way to work, our neighbors do not break in and vandalize buildings, our neighbors do not urinate and defecate in the street. The occupiers need to vacate our neighborhood.

This is our home. We are not the enemy. Many of the protesters go home at night to their homes in outside neighborhoods and live peacefully while our home life has become unbearable.

I support free speech, free expression, and equal justice for all, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of innocent bystanders. An unfortunate consequence of this is that these individuals are clearly stating that their rights should be taken more seriously than our rights. And that isn’t a fair tradeoff. Why should our basic rights of living peacefully in our homes be trampled on by those who don’t reside in the neighborhood, create unsanitary conditions, cause undue safety issues, and commit crimes. Where is the justice in that?

The question the elected officials must ask themselves is whether they stand for the individuals who have knowingly decided that the law does not pertain to them and side with out of towners or enforce the law and adequately protect those that put them in office. The answer to this question will be apparent in their actions and the members of the community will judge you in this light on election day.

So what you are saying is that any Protest that is backed by big money donors like the Tea Party Koch Brothers have the right to free speech:nono:

No, what we are saying is that if you tear someones shit up, you should have to pay for it, nobody has a constitutional right to destroy someone elses property. And the last I checked, Soros and CAIR and the labor unions are funding OWS, so it's not like they cannot afford to take responsibility for their actions.

What a neighbor thinks of them....

The protesters have driven our neighborhood into the proverbial toilet (pun intended). Not only does the occupation impact the park and the adjacent streets – where it smells like rotting food and raw sewage – but also impacts us blocks away.

Barricades have been erected in order to block their access to landmarks and terrorist targets. These barricades also prohibit residents from walking freely in their own neighborhood.

Children are frightened, the elderly are forced to walk blocks out of their way to fill a prescription, and our sidewalks are soiled because dogs don’t have access to the curbs.

Local retailers and restaurants are reporting drops in foot traffic and sales. Real Estate Brokers are seeing decreased activity in terms of responses to listings – which has a direct impact on our property values. Several of my neighbors have fled the neighborhood and are selling their apartments.

Our building has been burgled three times by protesters – once to wedge all access doors open (likely for future break-ins), once to hang a protest banner from a window and once to vandalize our building in the name of “art”. So now, not only are we significantly inconvenienced, we are now in fear of our safety and security.

Quite frankly, we are not interested in a “good neighbor policy”. These occupiers are not our neighbors. Our neighbors don’t beat on drums while children are napping, our neighbors do not verbally attack people on their way to work, our neighbors do not break in and vandalize buildings, our neighbors do not urinate and defecate in the street. The occupiers need to vacate our neighborhood.

This is our home. We are not the enemy. Many of the protesters go home at night to their homes in outside neighborhoods and live peacefully while our home life has become unbearable.

I support free speech, free expression, and equal justice for all, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of innocent bystanders. An unfortunate consequence of this is that these individuals are clearly stating that their rights should be taken more seriously than our rights. And that isn’t a fair tradeoff. Why should our basic rights of living peacefully in our homes be trampled on by those who don’t reside in the neighborhood, create unsanitary conditions, cause undue safety issues, and commit crimes. Where is the justice in that?

The question the elected officials must ask themselves is whether they stand for the individuals who have knowingly decided that the law does not pertain to them and side with out of towners or enforce the law and adequately protect those that put them in office. The answer to this question will be apparent in their actions and the members of the community will judge you in this light on election day.

Excellent letter.

Forum List

Back