Should national election day be moved to the weekend or made a holiday?

Should national election day be moved ?

• It should stay where its at

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Should be moved to a weekend

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Should stay where its at but be made into a national holiday.

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
So if your on the clock, you wouldn't get paid? Really?

If you're not at work, you're not on the clock.

You're right....no production which hurts the business and has to pay holiday pay for people not working, again, not good for the business. Most businesses in America are not flush with cash. sheesh

As I stated earlier in the thread, I don't support making election day a holiday (and one of the reasons for that is the output loss). However, I don't see why you insist on thinking workers would be paid when not at work.

If you're not at work, you're not on the clock.

You're right....no production which hurts the business and has to pay holiday pay for people not working, again, not good for the business. Most businesses in America are not flush with cash. sheesh

As I stated earlier in the thread, I don't support making election day a holiday (and one of the reasons for that is the output loss). However, I don't see why you insist on thinking workers would be paid when not at work.

We aren't talking about a federal holiday, we're talking about a national holiday, like Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th July, New year's. They get paid.....how many holidays do businesses recognize and not pay their employees?

I don't see much of a difference at all. "Absentee" or "Early" you still have a window to cast a ballot before election day.

But again, this is all just a red herring on your part because the OP is about making Election Day a holiday or moving it to a weekend date.

And you've still ducked what I asked you about same day registration in Connecticut.

Instead of admitting you are flat out wrong you are going to say you don't see a difference.

Why am I not surprised?

By the way, the red herring is your argument that Republicans would block it. I still am waiting for anyone to come up with an actual reason to change it.

No, I don't see a difference. The window to cast your vote early is there whether it's "early voting" or an absentee ballot you are casting.

And yes, the GOP would fight against making election day a national holiday or move to the weekend.

You still haven't explained how only one Republican voted for allowing same day registration in Connecticut.

The difference is quite simple.

Absentee voting has to be requested in advance, and mailed back by a certain date, or it is not counted. Early voting is done in person in the week before the election, does not need special ballots, and requires no postage. Until you can actually articulate a reason to make election day a national holiday, or move it to Saturday, anyone with a brain will fight it. I suggest you spend a little time reading my responses to the OP as to why neither will make a difference, and see it you can come up with some argument other than "I like it because I think the GOP will hate it even though I can't prove they will."

Instead of admitting you are flat out wrong you are going to say you don't see a difference.

Why am I not surprised?

By the way, the red herring is your argument that Republicans would block it. I still am waiting for anyone to come up with an actual reason to change it.

No, I don't see a difference. The window to cast your vote early is there whether it's "early voting" or an absentee ballot you are casting.

And yes, the GOP would fight against making election day a national holiday or move to the weekend.

You still haven't explained how only one Republican voted for allowing same day registration in Connecticut.

Absentee voting has to be requested in advance, and mailed back by a certain date, or it is not counted. Early voting is done in person in the week before the election, does not need special ballots, and requires no postage. Until you can actually articulate a reason to make election day a national holiday, or move it to Saturday, anyone with a brain will fight it. I suggest you spend a little time reading my responses to the OP as to why neither will make a difference, and see it you can come up with some argument other than "I like it because I think the GOP will hate it even though I can't prove they will."

Can you articulate a reason to have no-excuse early voting?

Can you articulate a reason to have no-excuse early voting?

Yes.

Yes, would make it easier to vote and with the right doing as much as they can to make it harder to vote those of us who love America should be doing as much as we can to make it easier to vote

Those who love America make it a point to vote. I see no reason to make it unreasonably difficult, but why should it be easier? To convince a bunch of "well maybe I'll vote if it's convenient" voters? Why not "Text the Vote" rallies; you could set it up to correspond with the American Idol finals. I'm sure those would be well-informed choices.:eusa_eh:

Those who care will find a way to vote. Those who don't find a way to vote, don't care.

For Christ's sake 200 years ago people without cars who actually worked for a living could make it to the polls.

There is no fucking excuse not to vote we do not need another idiotic holiday.

Yes, would make it easier to vote and with the right doing as much as they can to make it harder to vote those of us who love America should be doing as much as we can to make it easier to vote

Those who love America make it a point to vote. I see no reason to make it unreasonably difficult, but why should it be easier?
Yeah.....look what happened, the LAST time we made voting....​

woman-screaming-261010-medium_new.jpg

Last edited:
For Christ's sake 200 years ago people without cars who actually worked for a living could make it to the polls.

.....Solved, easily, by voting on Saturday AND Sunday!!

No need.

As I said if people 200 years ago with nothing but feet and horses for transportation could make it to the polls on a Tuesday then there is absolutely no reason people today cannot make it to the polls on a Tuesday.

No need.

As I said if people 200 years ago with nothing but feet and horses for transportation could make it to the polls on a Tuesday then there is absolutely no reason people today cannot make it to the polls on a Tuesday.

But it's hard!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need.

VOTING is idiotic? It is the basis of this great nation, and many have died to protect this right. Sad to read such disrespect. :(

I haven't missed a single elction of any type in over 40 years.

That being said, with big money controlling politics, voting is really a waste of time.

I haven't missed a single elction of any type in over 40 years.

That being said, with big money controlling politics, voting is really a waste of time.

I respectfully disagree. I am thankful, grateful, and overwhelmed at times, to live in a nation that acknowledges such a precious right.

No need.

VOTING is idiotic? It is the basis of this great nation, and many have died to protect this right. Sad to read such disrespect. :(

I agree. Why don't you point out where you actually read that?

I agree. Why don't you point out where you actually read that?

Read Skull & your posts. I gathered you were being sarcastic, but I will not change my belief in the greatness of this nation because of the RIGHT to VOTE(.)

Scoffing at the excuses people use to avoid voting is not saying that voting is idiotic.

No need.

Check your reading skills.

I said we do not need another idiotic holiday

Forum List

Back