Should national election day be moved to the weekend or made a holiday?

Should national election day be moved ?

• It should stay where its at

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Should be moved to a weekend

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Should stay where its at but be made into a national holiday.

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
Connecticut is a D state through and through, just like California, yet it does not allow early voting or no excuse absentee voting.

As fro your links, why do I need to do anything? I am not defending Republicans, I am just calling you on being a hack.

History and Constitutionality of Early Voting in Connecticut

Come to think of it, Massachusetts doesn't allow early voting either. Why is that? Do you think the 3 Republicans that live up there are stopping it?

The measures in the OP in which I said the GOP would fight against were for Election Day being a National Holiday or a on a weekend day.

Why should I need to do explain anything regarding how individual states approach voting?

I'm not defending Democrats, I'm just attacking Republicans. See how that works?

It's funny that you call me a hack after you tried to pull a red herring about a vote that "just" happened, wasn't about making election day a holiday or changing it to a weekend, and are unwilling to provide a breakdown of said vote you are alluding to.

You then dig yourself in even deeper by refusing to answer what I put forward (with an actual link and a party vote breakdown).

And you call me the hack.

TFF.

And I asked you if the Democrats would ever do anything like that. In my opinion, allowing early voting is a lot more sensible than changing the day elections are held, so I pointed out that Democrats have no problem denying early voting.

That makes you the hack, not me.

Except you are lying.

In Connecticut you can vote early via absentee ballot.

You still haven't provided the breakdown of the vote you alluded to so even that is hearsay.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WvoGlQ7zH8]Why do Americans vote on Tuesdays? - YouTube[/ame]

logo-a.png

HERE!!!!

Last edited:
None of those states actually require you to prove that those circumstances actually apply to you. That would violate federal election laws.

You mean like how Connecticut works?

Do you have a point? You are the one that argued that you need an excuse for a ballot, not me.

Yeah, the point is that you are full of shit. You claimed that they don't allow early voting when they do and you even later asserted that, "None of those states actually require you to prove that those circumstances actually apply to you."

And I never made the argument that you claim I did. You argued that the excuse clause is toothless.

Last edited:

Do you know the difference between absentee balloting and early voting? Early voting means you can go down to the county registrar, or other designated polling place, and vote in person before the election.

Voting in Person | League of Women Voters of California ®

Absentee voting is mailing in a ballot that you request in advance. Which, off the top of your head, do you think is more convenient for most people?

Feel free to dismiss the truth if you like, but it just makes you look stupid. Just an FYI before you make yourself look even more ridiculous, I am using a link provided by Greenbeard. It contains a complete list of the early voting and absentee balloting by state, and whether they allow no excuse absentee voting, or even permanent absentee status.

Absentee and Early Voting

Some states only allow absentee ballots under a very narrow set of circumstances.

None of those states actually require you to prove that those circumstances actually apply to you. That would violate federal election laws.

They don't need to demand you prove it at the time of filing, because you've already broken another law by lying on the form. They could then investigate on that basis. Does that happen in practice? No, but most people aren't going to chance it.

You honestly think most people won't chance an investigation over lying about being out of town?

The measures in the OP in which I said the GOP would fight against were for Election Day being a National Holiday or a on a weekend day.

Why should I need to do explain anything regarding how individual states approach voting?

I'm not defending Democrats, I'm just attacking Republicans. See how that works?

It's funny that you call me a hack after you tried to pull a red herring about a vote that "just" happened, wasn't about making election day a holiday or changing it to a weekend, and are unwilling to provide a breakdown of said vote you are alluding to.

You then dig yourself in even deeper by refusing to answer what I put forward (with an actual link and a party vote breakdown).

And you call me the hack.

TFF.

And I asked you if the Democrats would ever do anything like that. In my opinion, allowing early voting is a lot more sensible than changing the day elections are held, so I pointed out that Democrats have no problem denying early voting.

That makes you the hack, not me.

Except you are lying.

In Connecticut you can vote early via absentee ballot.

You still haven't provided the breakdown of the vote you alluded to so even that is hearsay.

There is a difference between early voting and absentee voting. The fact that you do not know that does not make me a liar.

Do you have a point? You are the one that argued that you need an excuse for a ballot, not me.

Yeah, the point is that you are full of shit. You claimed that they don't allow early voting when they do and you even later asserted that, "None of those states actually require you to prove that those circumstances actually apply to you."

And I never made the argument that you claim I did. You argued that the excuse clause is toothless.

They don't.

They don't need to demand you prove it at the time of filing, because you've already broken another law by lying on the form. They could then investigate on that basis. Does that happen in practice? No, but most people aren't going to chance it.

You honestly think most people won't chance an investigation over lying about being out of town?

Yes, because most people don't see voting as something worth having to pay a fine over.

Yes, would make it easier to vote and with the right doing as much as they can to make it harder to vote those of us who love America should be doing as much as we can to make it easier to vote

Do you know the difference between absentee balloting and early voting? Early voting means you can go down to the county registrar, or other designated polling place, and vote in person before the election.

Absentee voting is mailing in a ballot that you request in advance. Which, off the top of your head, do you think is more convenient for most people?

Feel free to dismiss the truth if you like, but it just makes you look stupid. Just an FYI before you make yourself look even more ridiculous, I am using a link provided by Greenbeard. It contains a complete list of the early voting and absentee balloting by state, and whether they allow no excuse absentee voting, or even permanent absentee status.

I don't see much of a difference at all. "Absentee" or "Early" you still have a window to cast a ballot before election day.

But again, this is all just a red herring on your part because the OP is about making Election Day a holiday or moving it to a weekend date.

And you've still ducked what I asked you about same day registration in Connecticut.

Last edited:

I don't see much of a difference at all. "Absentee" or "Early" you still have a window to cast a ballot before election day.

But again, this is all just a red herring on your part because the OP is about making Election Day a holiday or moving it to a weekend date.

And you've still ducked what I asked you about same day registration in Connecticut.

Instead of admitting you are flat out wrong you are going to say you don't see a difference.

Why am I not surprised?

By the way, the red herring is your argument that Republicans would block it. I still am waiting for anyone to come up with an actual reason to change it.

Last edited:

Instead of admitting you are flat out wrong you are going to say you don't see a difference.

Why am I not surprised?

By the way, the red herring is your argument that Republicans would block it. I still am waiting for anyone to come up with an actual reason to change it.

No, I don't see a difference. The window to cast your vote early is there whether it's "early voting" or an absentee ballot you are casting.

And yes, the GOP would fight against making election day a national holiday or move to the weekend.

You still haven't explained how only one Republican voted for allowing same day registration in Connecticut.

Make it a national holiday.

Get a receipt when you vote and show your employer to get paid for the day.

No receipt, no pay.

Forum List

Back