Should middle school students be allowed to wear leggings at school?

Should leggings be allowed to be worn as pants in public middle schools?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
I agree, Ascelpias, if all students AND teachers must abide by a strict uniform code.
Not teachers. Teachers may have a dress code, but they shouldn't wear uniforms.

One of my biggest complaints was the teacher dress code at my last district. All male teachers were required to wear buttoned shirts, and no polos except on certain days. No tennis shoes. No jeans.

Female teachers could wear whatever the hell they wanted.

Pissed me off!

I wouldn't have a problem with teachers and kids at school wearing uniforms. Less distractions from the learning environment. No, teachers shouldn't be leaning over little boy's desks with their cleavage hanging out. The boy isn't hearing a WORD the teacher is saying at that point! :lol: Children are very easily distracted.
What teacher are going to school with their cleavage hanging out? You people are nuts.

Obviously you haven't been to school ever! There are teachers who dress rather provocatively.

Not in any school where I have taught!

Here is a picture of an ACTUAL 4th grade teacher, taking selfies while in the classroom. She's looking like she's ready for the club, not the classroom!

teacher-bae-patrice-brown-photos-600x375.jpg

What is wrong with that?

It's not too short or showing too much skin.

:D

Well, yes, but things still happened. :eusa_whistle:

I know the names and the faces..and the boobies.

Or you fantasized about knowing such things anyways. Lol!

No..real life. Apparently that teacher had some issues. She also had an incredible body. I wasn't involved, yet I know what happened.

Yes, I remember little boys who made up all kinds of farfetched stories as well. :D

No, really Chris, this did happen.

If everyone who claimed this was telling the truth, then almost ALL female teachers would be in jail! :D Come on now, you believe the stories your 12-year-old buddies told you?

Our incredibly hot cheerleading captain married the physics teacher the day after graduation. He was old enough to be her father!

In today's world where teachers and students actually have AFFAIRS (as pathetic as that is), then it is only appropriate that they should all have to wear uniforms. School shouldn't be a fashion show anyways. All of that takes away from the learning environment and is nothing but a big distraction.
Teachers haveing sexual relations with students isn't common and it is not the atmosphere of schools these days. It is extraordinarily rare. "In fall 2017, about 50.7 million students will attend public elementary and secondary schools in America." How many events in 2017 involving students and teachers being sexually involved did you hear about? Even if it were 100, which it probably wasn't anywhere near. 100 would be 0.0002% of 50 million. It's a very small pecentage. So, please, have some common sense: there is no environment where teachers are having sex with students, and teachers are not wearing provocative clothing to work.

I agree that it isn't common, but one time is one time too many. Besides that, middle school aged boys are very easily distracted by women, whether it be her legs, her breasts, whatever. Geesh, even full grown men are that way a lot of times! I don't see why anyone would be against uniforms in school. I think it would make for a more productive learning environment. There are a LOT more teachers in the world nowadays because there are more people in general, and unfortunately a lot of people have no class, no couth and no ethics.
Teachers are not children. Get that through your head. Are you required to wear a uniform to work? Do you have a master's degree or better? Do you really think it is appropropriate to humiliate professionals with university degrees by making them wear uniforms to work? Only Americans think that way. Incredible. When is the abuse of teachers in America going to stop?

YES. For some (many actually) jobs you are required to wear a uniform! Are you serious?
Tell me what professionals with college degrees are required to wear a uniform to work?

Military officers.

Teachers haveing sexual relations with students isn't common and it is not the atmosphere of schools these days. It is extraordinarily rare. "In fall 2017, about 50.7 million students will attend public elementary and secondary schools in America." How many events in 2017 involving students and teachers being sexually involved did you hear about? Even if it were 100, which it probably wasn't anywhere near. 100 would be 0.0002% of 50 million. It's a very small pecentage. So, please, have some common sense: there is no environment where teachers are having sex with students, and teachers are not wearing provocative clothing to work.

I agree that it isn't common, but one time is one time too many. Besides that, middle school aged boys are very easily distracted by women, whether it be her legs, her breasts, whatever. Geesh, even full grown men are that way a lot of times! I don't see why anyone would be against uniforms in school. I think it would make for a more productive learning environment. There are a LOT more teachers in the world nowadays because there are more people in general, and unfortunately a lot of people have no class, no couth and no ethics.
Teachers are not children. Get that through your head. Are you required to wear a uniform to work? Do you have a master's degree or better? Do you really think it is appropropriate to humiliate professionals with university degrees by making them wear uniforms to work? Only Americans think that way. Incredible. When is the abuse of teachers in America going to stop?

ABUSE of teachers? Holy shit lady. Get a grip. :uhh:
No, that is not an exaggeration. Americans treat teachers abusively. No respect for them at all. It's the only country that I know of that does it. You treat them worse than you would your maid or baby sitter.

I would say that the police are FAR more abused AND they have to wear uniforms too! ;)

You don't have to have a degree to be a police officer in many instances.

Lawyers
Nurses
Doctors
Accountants
Engineers

Just to name a few professions with very advanced degrees that require uniforms. To say that no profession requires professionals to wear uniforms is just plain assinine.

I am reminded of an axiom that seems to apply to the concept of school uniforms.

"An uncoachable kid becomes and unemployable adult"

The use of school uniforms removes many distractions from the school grounds. It also teaches a very important lesson in equality. If every student is dressed the same, then it becomes less about skin color and more about merit and effort. The very idea that making a rule is going to cause more delinquency is mind-boggling. That is akin to saying, "If we make drunk driving laws, we are going to create more criminals!"

That argument that teachers should not be required to wear a uniform because they are the adults is as ludicrous a statement as a parent telling a kid, "Do as I say, not as I do." There are many professions, staffed with people who have advanced degrees, who are required to wear uniforms.

The whole point of school is to prep students for real life. In the real world, they will have to wear uniforms, and they will have to advance on the merits of their efforts, not because they are 'special'.

Accountants wear uniforms?

Engineers wear uniforms?

On what planet does this occur?

Some doctors and some nurses, maybe. Not generally.

So it sounds like you don’t support a dress code in schools and want to leave it up to the parents... that’s fine but what of the point I made a few posts ago about creating an environment with a similar structure as the majority of professional work environments that’s school is supposed to be preparing our children for?

To do what? Legal has been off-shored, medical--specifically nursing is in the process of being destroyed, the IT sector has been nailed, banking has been outsourced and off-shored. R&D was off-shored some 20 years ago. The US is finally getting around to nanotechnology. The powers that be didn't see there was any profit to be made in robotics 30 years ago. And as everyone knows there is no shortage of teachers, ya just don't want to pay them. Fix that.

These are the most sought after foreign languages:
Foreign Language — Central Intelligence Agency

So, where are they in the schools? As a rule, there are two languages taught. One is Spanish and the other is French. Hell, there is a four year requirement in the district here but the Spanish teacher only does two years and the French teacher only does two years. The hell is that? Next county over you can learn Chinese in one of the high schools. It's one of the most overcrowded high schools. The kids are on top of each other and it is notorious for fights.

Coding..why is it not taught in the schools?

A minimum price tag to become a doctor or an attorney is $600,000

I live in an area where there are vo-techs that teach airplane mechanics, auto mechanics and nursing. Kids spend the last two years of high school going into that. There are a variety of after school clubs that the kids participate in but you have to be in high school for most of them. Robotics is one. Some schools have incorporated this into the class rooms but most do not. The last competition/meeting the DoD was scouting. YAG is another one. The kids go to the state house and write laws or lobby. They are required to wear suits. Mock Trial is another one. Depending on funding they actually teach a couple of law courses but most of the time it's all after school and most of the time it is all in high school.

But, do you know what these kids excel at? Taking tests. That is where the funding goes. Millions of dollars spent a year for testing that shows diddly squat.

These are decisions adults make. Until the adults are capable of addressing the above, then what is being asked for is nothing more than becoming obedient little robots. And that has already been achieved via testing and the factory model school.

I'll bet if you actually looked into it, your testing is not nearly as expensive as you think, nor does it take too much time.

I have.

Depends on the environment. I have a problem with uniforms in public schools.
My question is about dress codes in professional work environments

I heard you. I told you where my problem is.
I’ll take that as you not having a problem with dress codes in professional work environments. So that leads to my point. If our children are going to move into a work force and culture where dress etiquette is a factor in most work places, then wouldn’t it make sense to include some form of that kind of structure and discipline in our school environment?

Slade, my issue is pretty specific. When it comes to uniforms, there are violations which lead to suspensions. There are several reasons for those violations. The uniforms are a part of the zero tolerance policies. Those policies have impacted juvenile delinquency. The American education system is still based on the factory model. A bell tells you when to shift to another class, when to eat lunch, when lunch is over and when quitting time is. It is structured. The uniforms appease adults.

There are violations that will lead to suspensions only if the parents and little hellions don't remove their heads from their asses and follow the rules.

Save it.

My question is about dress codes in professional work environments

I’ll take that as you not having a problem with dress codes in professional work environments. So that leads to my point. If our children are going to move into a work force and culture where dress etiquette is a factor in most work places, then wouldn’t it make sense to include some form of that kind of structure and discipline in our school environment?

Slade, my issue is pretty specific. When it comes to uniforms, there are violations which lead to suspensions. There are several reasons for those violations. The uniforms are a part of the zero tolerance policies. Those policies have impacted juvenile delinquency. The American education system is still based on the factory model. A bell tells you when to shift to another class, when to eat lunch, when lunch is over and when quitting time is. It is structured. The uniforms appease adults.

There are violations that will lead to suspensions only if the parents and little hellions don't remove their heads from their asses and follow the rules.

Save it.

Save what? Does the truth hurt in that ivory tower?

Save it.

I was a probation officer for close to a decade. I am all about violations. Save what you are selling for someone who is buying. I am not the one.

Save it.

I was a probation officer for close to a decade. I am all about violations. Save what you are selling for someone who is buying. I am not the one.

I was a teacher and assistant principal for two decades. I'll see your probation officer and raise you a teacher!

BTW, should find out in January if I get to be a probation and parole officer since I retired from teaching.

Save it.

I was a teacher and assistant principal for two decades. I'll see your probation officer and raise you a teacher!

BTW, should find out in January if I get to be a probation and parole officer since I retired from teaching.

You aren't raising jack, Jack. I already knew you were a teacher. I don't care. I stopped caring at some point last year after watching you flip out every time something about the education system was mentioned.

Good luck with that new job. A whole different level of bat shit crazy. You're going to need it.

Save it.

You aren't raising jack, Jack. I already knew you were a teacher. I don't care. I stopped caring at some point last year after watching you flip out every time something about the education system was mentioned.

Good luck with that new job. A whole different level of bat shit crazy. You're going to need it.

I flip out when people spread lies about my profession. Education has many challenges, but lying about it is out of bounds.

I flip out when people spread lies about my profession. Education has many challenges, but lying about it is out of bounds.

Nobody's lying. Education has a lot of challenges. That is why I try to be as specific as possible.

Nobody's lying. Education has a lot of challenges. That is why I try to be as specific as possible.

In other posts, people lie about education because they are ignorant of the truth and too lazy to find out for themselves.

I think people should be able to wear what ever they wish.

Less fascism in peoples life is a good thing.
Do you think it’s fair for a guy who starts a law firm to require the lawyers he hires to wear a suit to work? Restaurants to require customers to wear shirts and shoes?

Forum List

Back