Should Islam be allowed to build a Mosque near ground zero? Why?

Manhattan residents FAVOR building the mosque by a wide margin:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/ZZ5350B521.jpg

Surprised? Of course you are.

Construction_of_Mosque_Near_World_Trade_Center_Site.htm

Your first link:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this server.
Apache 1.3.29 at Little Green Footballs Port 80

And your second link shows a poll where the majority oppose the building........

Sorry, but no way should this building be permitted in this spot.

Just as Ghandi defeated the British Empire in the 1940/s Usama Bin Laden has defeated the United States of America. He has won and you are blind to the victory.

Sure it's their right, but should they do it I think would be he more accurate question.
To me with them building it there would be like the Japanese building a shrine to Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto on top of the USS Missouri

Freedom of religion does not infer freedom to build.

Muslims are perfectly free to practice their religion.
But there is no constitutional guarantee that people can build whatever they like wherever they want to.

Two. Different. Things.

If we ever ARE granted the right to build whatever we like on our private property, let me know, because I know a lot of people who would LOVE to build on their land, but can't because the federal government has decided they can't develop.

True They have building codes they must pass and if it meets code then what? I don't think they should build there ok? but for the government to step in and say they can or can't build to me isn't right either,unless they are in code violation then thats a totally differant story.
As long as a law or regulation does not single them out because of their faith, I think it would be legal but that can be pretty difficult. The courts in the past have been pretty good at spotting subterfuge.

Anytime you try to abridge the rights of an individual or group because of their religious preference, you going have legal problems.

you people really need to find another non-issue to cry about.

Religious freedom does NOT guarantee you can build a church any fucking place you like.

How many of you people have actually attended school? Because this is a really simple concept, and it seems to be beyond the leftist mind.
No, but you can't prevent them from building because of their religious denomination. Any attempt by the city would be blocked by the courts as either a violation of the Constitution, federal, or state law.

Nobody objects based upon religion.

They object based on the fact that terrorists are funding it and it represents a HUGE safety risk.
If you can prove in a court of law that these people are not a religious organization but a terrorist organization, then they would not have the protection of laws against religious discrimination or the constitution.

As long as a person/organization owns/controls the property,they are not violating any zoning ordinances or other law that all others must also adhere to then yes, they should be allowed to, this goes for the Mosque, a strip club, a lingerie shop,a hog farm or a pork factory, hell, if the KKK owns the land next to Martin Luther King's place of birth and wants to open a bookstore and they met the legal criteria, they should be allowed to do it, to do otherwise goes against what this Republic stands for in my honest opinion.

Nobody objects based upon religion.

They object based on the fact that terrorists are funding it and it represents a HUGE safety risk.
If a law was passed that prevented them from building, because they are terrorist organization and not a religion, then that might work however, I kind that might be hard to prove in a court of law.

A court of law isn't where it is decided. It's decided by the Port Authority.

Besides, it wouldn't be difficult at all to prove it in a court of law.
Any action taken by government that prevents them from building would end up in the courts and they would claim that they were being discriminated against because of their religion. The only hope of stopping it is through public pressure and I have my doubts about how well that would work.

If a law was passed that prevented them from building, because they are terrorist organization and not a religion, then that might work however, I kind that might be hard to prove in a court of law.

Any action taken by government that prevents them from building would end up in the courts and they would claim that they were being discriminated against because of their religion. The only hope of stopping it is through public pressure and I have my doubts about how well that would work.

IF the PA were to prevent them from building it due to some actual policy they would have a hard time winning in court. I don't see that there is any actual policy though. I don't see the Muslims giving a fuck about public pressure either, which of course just proves what people think about them.

IF the PA were to prevent them from building it due to some actual policy they would have a hard time winning in court. I don't see that there is any actual policy though. I don't see the Muslims giving a fuck about public pressure either, which of course just proves what people think about them.

Rather, it proves that they enjoy the liberty of America just like you do when people start asking questions about what you do on your property. fuck you. deal with it.

Your first link:
Forbidden

And your second link shows a poll where the majority oppose the building........

Scroll all the way down in the second link it shows Manhattan residents favor it by a 53% margin.

Your first link:
Forbidden

Scroll all the way down in the second link it shows Manhattan residents favor it by a 53% margin.

I saw that, and it is the only category where the majority favor it. Which tells me that either the poll was flawed or the people in Manhattan are nuts. And I really don't care which.

Your first link:
Forbidden

I saw that, and it is the only category where the majority favor it. Which tells me that either the poll was flawed or the people in Manhattan are nuts. And I really don't care which.

or, you are full of shit every day in which you believe that the world revolves around your retarded fucking opinion.

Your first link:
Forbidden

Better stand-back, SFC Ollie!!!

The Majority's movin'-in to WHUP some FAUX/"conservative"-ASS!!!!!

".....we are deeply troubled by the xenophobia and religious bigotry that has characterized some of the opposition to a proposed Islamic center and mosque near where the World Trade Center towers once stood.

Newt Gingrich, the former Speaker of the House, is the most recent prominent opponent to cast this debate in a way that demonizes all Muslims and exploits fear to divide Americans."

:woohoo:

Seriously though, American Muslims had nothing to do with 9/11. American Muslims lost loved ones in the tragedy and suffered just like any American, especially those in NYC.

The terrorists involved in the attack were as much Muslims as the Klan or Fred Phelps are Christian.

Equating "al-Qaeda" with "Islam" seems about as valid logically as equating "al-Qaeda" with "Central Intelligence Agency" (after all, the CIA provided a lot of the training and arms to the budding group during the last Afghan conflict), or equating "al-Qaeda" with "Saudi oil money" (after all, this is where bin Laden got his nest egg of money to start funding his global operations). Nonetheless, I seriously doubt that anyone will be calling for prohibiting CIA operations, or eliminating the sale of Saudi gasoline, in New York City (or anywhere else in America) any time soon.

Your first link:
Forbidden

In other words...that's the only part of the poll that is flawed because you don't like the results?

In other words...that's the only part of the poll that is flawed because you don't like the results?

How do you get that?

Forum List

Back