Should Hip-Hop culture have been suppressed?

Hip-hop culture is just a reflection, so trying to suppress it is pointless.

"Rappers" who can't sing, "musicians" simulated on a keyboard, and lyrics glorifying crime and misogyny are all just examples of lowered cultural standards.

Rappers arent supposed to be singing. Thats why its called rap dufus. However, one of the greatest female rappers every was also so good of a singer her album was inducted into the Library of Congress. Meet the beautiful and insanely talented Lauryn Hill.

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Will Be Entered Into the Library of Congress - The Root

51621690-singer-lauryn-hill-poses-with-her-five-grammy-awards.jpg.CROP.rtstoryvar-medium.jpg

Anyone can "rap". A three year old can write a poem and "rap" it with zero (0) musical ability.

That means that singers can rap. From Lauryn Hill to Tony Bennett to Jimmy Buffett to Sammy Hagar.

Big deal.

BS. No anyone cant rap. Thats like saying anyone can sing. You can try but that doesnt mean you will actually have people that consider what you do as rap.
:laugh:

Right.

I know I'm right. Thanks for agreeing.

"Rappers" who can't sing, "musicians" simulated on a keyboard, and lyrics glorifying crime and misogyny are all just examples of lowered cultural standards.

Rappers arent supposed to be singing. Thats why its called rap dufus. However, one of the greatest female rappers every was also so good of a singer her album was inducted into the Library of Congress. Meet the beautiful and insanely talented Lauryn Hill.

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Will Be Entered Into the Library of Congress - The Root

51621690-singer-lauryn-hill-poses-with-her-five-grammy-awards.jpg.CROP.rtstoryvar-medium.jpg

Anyone can "rap". A three year old can write a poem and "rap" it with zero (0) musical ability.

That means that singers can rap. From Lauryn Hill to Tony Bennett to Jimmy Buffett to Sammy Hagar.

Big deal.

Zero musical ability? Lmfao. Sounds like someone's jealous. You can't prove to me that it takes no musical ability, because that would be a lie. Newsflash: just because you dont like music doesnt mean it takes no skill.

I bet you think electronic music takes no skill either. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Big deal.

Zero musical ability? Lmfao. Sounds like someone's jealous. You can't prove to me that it takes no musical ability, because that would be a lie. Newsflash: just because you dont like music doesnt mean it takes no skill.

I bet you think electronic music takes no skill either. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
You're certainly welcome to illustrate the musical abilities required to rap.

Music theory? Knowledge of majors, minors, keys, time signatures, sharps, flats? Voice skills such as vibrato, pitch, tonality, dynamics, harmony?

Because a good singer needs to have a command of all the above.

Go ahead, knock it out of the park.

Big deal.

Music theory? Knowledge of majors, minors, keys, time signatures, sharps, flats? Voice skills such as vibrato, pitch, tonality, dynamics, harmony?

News flash. You dont define what music is. What made you think someone is going to jump through hoops to fit your "white approved" definition of music? Next thing we know you'll be claiming ballet is classical dance.
laugh.gif

Big deal.

News flash. You dont define what music is. What made you think someone is going to jump through hoops to fit your "white approved" definition of music? Next thing we know you'll be claiming ballet is classical dance.
laugh.gif
Nice try, but I'm not defining what music is. I'm merely pointing out some foundational skills required to sing well. Singing is musical, but not all music is singing. You didn't have a response, so you deflected.

That's okay, I knew that had to happen.

Lowering standards. That was my original point.

Big deal.

laugh.gif
Nice try, but I'm not defining what music is. I'm merely pointing out some foundational skills required to sing well. Singing is musical, but not all music is singing. You didn't have a response, so you deflected.

You're not qualified to point anything out. You have only have an insignificant opinion of what music is. Thanks for the try at contributing to the thread though.

Big deal.

laugh.gif

You're not qualified to point anything out. You have only have an insignificant opinion of what music is. Thanks for the try at contributing to the thread though.
You're welcome!

I'm 58 and white so I'm not supposed to be into Hip Hop. That's okay. White 58 year olds weren't supposed to be into the Rolling Stones or any of the singer-song writers I enjoyed as a young person. The older generation is supposed to fear the culture of youth. Many have pointed out how scary the Beatles were to the older folks fifty years ago. Or how bobby soxers scared their parents, or how jitterbuggers scared their parents.

But repressing a culture? Never! Popular culture helps drag society into the future, expose the teenage angst expressed by the proponents of popular culture, expand our vocabulary and widen our outlook. That's what the best of pop culture offers.

I find Hip Hop simply rhythm and noise. Devoid to the great themes found in Rythmn and Blues. No one can whistle a Hip Hop tune. No one can empathize with Hip Hop artists in themes of lost love, new love, joyful youth and youthful angst. But, that's okay. Someday Hip Hop enthusiasts will discover melody and harmony. They will inevitably grow up and deepen their life experiences.

All the apprehension simply validates pop culture among the young. If Mom and Dad are afraid of it, it must have some greater benefit.

Last edited:
I'm 58 and white so I'm not supposed to be into Hip Hop. That's okay. White 58 year olds weren't supposed to be into the Roling Stones or any of the singer-song writers I enjoyed as a young person. The older generation is supposed to fear the culture of youth. Many have pointed out how scary the Beatles were to the older folks fifty years ago. Or how bobby soxers scared their parents, or how jitterbuggers scared their parents.

But repressing a culture? Never! Popular culture helps drag society into the future, expose the teenage angst expressed by the proponents of popular culture, expand our vocabulary and widen our outlook. That's what the best of pop culture offers.

All the apprehension simply validates pop culture among the young. If Mom and Dad are afraid of it, it must have some greater benefit.
Trying to smother expression is shallow thinking, a waste of time, and most likely counterproductive.

This is an interesting question in my opinion.

I often here, particularly from older generations, that hip-hop culture is "disgusting" or something to that effect.

For those that would say yes; how would you feel if a culture you identified with was suppressed? what about freedom of speech?

For those that would say no; do you think it's worth advocating a culture that some would find dangerous in the name of freedom of speech?

hip hop culture or thug culture is criminal culture so it is suppressed.

Trying to smother expression is shallow thinking, a waste of time, and most likely counterproductive.

Of course we must try to smother Nazi thinking and 1000 kinds of thinking that are not consistent with civilized behavior.

Of course we must try to smother Nazi thinking and 1000 kinds of thinking that are not consistent with civilized behavior.
Wow, you sound like a member of the PC Police.

I'm not afraid of words. They teach us things.

I disagree. We can smother actions of Nazis, but not their thinking. Ya see, we have that pesky constitution to follow. Thinking is encouraged, not to be smothered. But when people commit actual crimes rather than thought crimes, we must act. But we should NEVER act on thought or the perceived actions those thoughts might create.

Forum List

Back