Should Hip-Hop culture have been suppressed?

Do you even know what Thuglife stands for?
I know what the impression it gives to people who aren't going to go to the trouble of researching Tupac Shakur.

When you advertise that you are a thug - whether it's posing with your guns, or drugs, or your gang signs, don't blame people for believing the message that is being sent.
People that cant be bothered with researching before they claim they know something are not being blamed. I'm just saying their opinions dont matter. Posing with guns, drugs or "gang signs" is pretty subjective. You could say this picture is the same thing you just described. Its all in how people are socialized to perceive it.

sniper11n-5-web.jpg
That is young White men emulating Black culture.

When you advertise that you are a thug - whether it's posing with your guns, or drugs, or your gang signs, don't blame people for believing the message that is being sent.
I don't recall tupac doing any of these things. Feel free to prove me wrong though, I'm not entirely certain.
tumblr_static_tumblr_m5kh7rj0cc1r3nb7uo1_500.jpg
he's not posing with weapons or drugs, and we've already went over what thug life meant in reference to the tattoo. The gun tattoo, if you're asking, stands for 50 niggas, where the font is over top of the gun in question; symbolizing that blacks from all 50 states are stronger than weapons.

I know what the impression it gives to people who aren't going to go to the trouble of researching Tupac Shakur.

People that cant be bothered with researching before they claim they know something are not being blamed. I'm just saying their opinions dont matter. Posing with guns, drugs or "gang signs" is pretty subjective. You could say this picture is the same thing you just described. Its all in how people are socialized to perceive it.

sniper11n-5-web.jpg
Gang signs, guns and drugs arent Black culture.

Ma thought the world was going to hell in a handbasket when the Beatles appeared and wished them gone. Pretty sure her parents though Jimmy Dorsey was the devil incarnate too.

This is an interesting question in my opinion.

I often here, particularly from older generations, that hip-hop culture is "disgusting" or something to that effect.

For those that would say yes; how would you feel if a culture you identified with was suppressed? what about freedom of speech?

For those that would say no; do you think it's worth advocating a culture that some would find dangerous in the name of freedom of speech?
They tried to suppress the rock n roll culture. and look at how successful that was.

sniper11n-5-web.jpg
Gang signs, guns and drugs arent Black culture.
True.

It's about being young, not being a member of a given race.

I often here, particularly from older generations, that hip-hop culture is "disgusting" or something to that effect.

For those that would say yes; how would you feel if a culture you identified with was suppressed? what about freedom of speech?

For those that would say no; do you think it's worth advocating a culture that some would find dangerous in the name of freedom of speech?

Here is my Opinion.

It's ok to recognize that "thug rap" is bad for black society and society as a whole. But the emotion of "thug rap" reached more than just thugs.

People started getting sick of being oppressed over nearly anything, can you imagine?

Today, it's almost like people don't want to be oppressed at all! CRAZY TOWN!

They tried to suppress the rock n roll culture. and look at how successful that was.

My church as a child showed me a video of how "Hotel California" was the DEVIL!

Are there really such closed-minded bigots out there? Are they not old enough to remember what oppression looked like?

I'm a solo style person but THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post. You show light of tomorrow in a time of dark and ignorant minds.

and we've already went over what thug life meant in reference to the tattoo.
It doesn't matter what he meant by the tattoo. It matters what people assume when they see the tattoo.

If you have a tattoo that portrays pedophilia, but you explain that it's really anti-pedophilia (if you'll only let me explain the whole concept to you), you are still perceived as pro-pedophilia.

It doesn't matter what he meant by the tattoo. It matters what people assume when they see the tattoo.

If you have a tattoo that portrays pedophilia, but you explain that it's really anti-pedophilia (if you'll only let me explain the whole concept to you), you are still perceived as pro-pedophilia.
it doesnt matter what you're perceived as. who cares what everyone thinks about you? tattoos are for you and yourself only.

it doesnt matter what you're perceived as. who cares what everyone thinks about you? tattoos are for you and yourself only.
One would have to wonder what would have happened if the founding fathers cared that they were perceived as traitors to the British crown?

Except in this thread, the RWnuts would say that freedom of speech cannot be abridged. Period.

Hip-hop culture is just a reflection, so trying to suppress it is pointless.

"Rappers" who can't sing, "musicians" simulated on a keyboard, and lyrics glorifying crime and misogyny are all just examples of lowered cultural standards.

Rappers arent supposed to be singing. Thats why its called rap dufus. However, one of the greatest female rappers every was also so good of a singer her album will be inducted into the Library of Congress. Meet the beautiful and insanely talented Lauryn Hill.

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Will Be Entered Into the Library of Congress - The Root

51621690-singer-lauryn-hill-poses-with-her-five-grammy-awards.jpg.CROP.rtstoryvar-medium.jpg

"Rappers" who can't sing, "musicians" simulated on a keyboard, and lyrics glorifying crime and misogyny are all just examples of lowered cultural standards.

Rappers arent supposed to be singing. Thats why its called rap dufus. However, one of the greatest female rappers every was also so good of a singer her album was inducted into the Library of Congress. Meet the beautiful and insanely talented Lauryn Hill.

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Will Be Entered Into the Library of Congress - The Root

51621690-singer-lauryn-hill-poses-with-her-five-grammy-awards.jpg.CROP.rtstoryvar-medium.jpg

Anyone can "rap". A three year old can write a poem and "rap" it with zero (0) musical ability.

That means that singers can rap. From Lauryn Hill to Tony Bennett to Jimmy Buffett to Sammy Hagar.

Big deal.

Rappers arent supposed to be singing. Thats why its called rap dufus. However, one of the greatest female rappers every was also so good of a singer her album was inducted into the Library of Congress. Meet the beautiful and insanely talented Lauryn Hill.

Anyone can "rap". A three year old can write a poem and "rap" it with zero (0) musical ability.

That means that singers can rap. From Lauryn Hill to Tony Bennett to Jimmy Buffett to Sammy Hagar.

Big deal.

BS. No anyone cant rap. Thats like saying anyone can sing. You can try but that doesnt mean you will actually have people that consider what you do as rap. Rap is way more than just words rhyming.

Big deal.

BS. No anyone cant rap. Thats like saying anyone can sing. You can try but that doesnt mean you will actually have people that consider what you do as rap.
:laugh:

Right.

Forum List

Back