Should Hip-Hop culture have been suppressed?

lake avenue

Mar 30, 2015
This is an interesting question in my opinion.

I often here, particularly from older generations, that hip-hop culture is "disgusting" or something to that effect.

For those that would say yes; how would you feel if a culture you identified with was suppressed? what about freedom of speech?

For those that would say no; do you think it's worth advocating a culture that some would find dangerous in the name of freedom of speech?

And how, exactly, would you propose such a thing?

That is the 'problem' with freedom, people are going to do things that you disagree with.
Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Those who try to stand in the way of pop culture only make it stronger and sexier.

give_a_damn_bar.gif~original

Are there really such closed-minded bigots out there? Are they not old enough to remember what oppression looked like?

"Should Hip-Hop culture have been suppressed?"

Of course not – that would clearly be un-Constitutional.

Indeed, the First Amendment was intended to protect the speech that society considers the most offensive.

There should be no suppression, but there can still be responsibility. I think people like Ice T, Allen Iverson, Tupac, etc. have some responsibility for shaping how Black men have chosen to present themselves, in music, in sports, in popular culture.

After 20+ years of Black men wanting to pose for photos as though they are gangsters, it's hard for that image to not stick.

It shows the power of advertising, over a long haul.

This is an interesting question in my opinion.

I often here, particularly from older generations, that hip-hop culture is "disgusting" or something to that effect.

For those that would say yes; how would you feel if a culture you identified with was suppressed? what about freedom of speech?

For those that would say no; do you think it's worth advocating a culture that some would find dangerous in the name of freedom of speech?

I love hip hop so hell no. People that say bad things about hip hop are ignorant beyond belief as to what hip hop is about. I dont really care what some think. If they are ignorant and refuse to educate themselves then thats their issue.

There should be no suppression, but there can still be responsibility. I think people like Ice T, Allen Iverson, Tupac, etc. have some responsibility for shaping how Black men have chosen to present themselves, in music, in sports, in popular culture.

After 20+ years of Black men wanting to pose for photos as though they are gangsters, it's hard for that image to not stick.

Allen Iverson is not a hip hop artist. He played basketball in the NBA. Tupac was probably one of the deepest individuals you will find and used to scare white people. Ice T isnt even hip hop. I wouldnt know what to classify him as. Posing as gangsters? No Black people look like whites who are the original gangsters.

Allen Iverson is not a hip hop artist. He played basketball in the NBA. Tupac was probably one of the deepest individuals you will find and used to scare white people. Ice T isnt even hip hop. I wouldnt know what to classify him as. Posing as gangsters? No Black people look like whites who are the original gangsters.

You said Hip Hop culture, not artists. Iverson is definitely part of that culture.

And when you are so committed to having people believe that you are a thug that you actually have it tattooed on your abdomen, well . . .

tumblr_static_tumblr_m5kh7rj0cc1r3nb7uo1_500.jpg

You said Hip Hop culture, not artists. Iverson is definitely part of that culture.

And when you are so committed to having people believe that you are a thug that you actually have it tattooed on your abdomen, well . . .

tumblr_static_tumblr_m5kh7rj0cc1r3nb7uo1_500.jpg
Your right about artist vs culture. It would be impossible to suppress the culture.

Regarding Tupac this is what I mean about not knowing what hip hop is all about. Do you even know what Thuglife stands for?

Do you even know what Thuglife stands for?
I know what the impression it gives to people who aren't going to go to the trouble of researching Tupac Shakur.

When you advertise that you are a thug - whether it's posing with your guns, or drugs, or your gang signs, don't blame people for believing the message that is being sent.

When you advertise that you are a thug - whether it's posing with your guns, or drugs, or your gang signs, don't blame people for believing the message that is being sent.
I don't recall tupac doing any of these things. Feel free to prove me wrong though, I'm not entirely certain.

Do you even know what Thuglife stands for?
I know what the impression it gives to people who aren't going to go to the trouble of researching Tupac Shakur.

People that cant be bothered with researching before they claim they know something are not being blamed. I'm just saying their opinions dont matter. Posing with guns, drugs or "gang signs" is pretty subjective. You could say this picture is the same thing you just described. Its all in how people are socialized to perceive it.

sniper11n-5-web.jpg

It is no worse than the jazz age inciting bombings by anarchist...
I wouldn't know about that...how many jazz musicians were bombed? I know Louie Armstrong survived and I don't remember him ever being afraid for his life. When did this shit happen? And where did it happen?

Forum List

Back