Should everyone be allowed to vote?

Should an IQ test be taken before you get the right to vote?

• No - Everyone should be able to vote, even if the can't understand what they're voting for.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That in mind, I propose a change in the electoral system of every country that excludes anyone with a low IQ or who can't pass basic general knowledge tests.

I think if you're going to change the qualifications for voting it should be something along the lines of those that actually PAY into the system get a say on how it's run while those that pay nothing don't.

Using an IQ or "general knowledge" test is subject to all sorts of nefarious manipulation.

Ignoring the general idiocy of your idea, everyone pays into the system.

Well if you can actually demonstrate that with something approaching reason and evidence I really wouldn't understand what your problem would be with that sort of voter qualification since according to your own assertion everyone would qualify to vote.

As a friendly reminder though, snarkiness != a rational argument.

Republican hero Paul Weyrich, 1980:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw]Paul Weyrich - "I don't want everybody to vote" (Goo Goo) - YouTube[/ame]

Universal adult suffrage is a basic principle of democracy but is this the right thing to do?

1 in 4 Americans Failed to Answer This Simple Science Question - PolicyMic

According to a poll of 2,200 Americans conducted by the National Science Foundation, one in four people are unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun. The NSF gave participants a nine question quiz about basic physical and biological science, and the average score came back at a barely passing 6.5 questions correct. That's right, the average person can barely pass a basic science quiz, and a large chunk of the population doesn't know how the Earth travels through space.

That in mind, I propose a change in the electoral system of every country that excludes anyone with a low IQ or who can't pass basic general knowledge tests.

I see it this way, if you have no clue about the world around you and/or the inability to learn because you're too stupid, you should not be allowed any participation in the electoral system.
Why would you want really thick people deciding the course any given country should take?

Do you agree?

If course not, the notion is idiocy – and in the United States un-Constitutional, where the right to vote is fundamental, and literacy tests a violation of that right. See Guinn v. United States (1915).

No. Everybody should not be allowed to vote. Those that are felons should not be allowed to vote. Those that cannot produce a State issued photo ID should not be allowed to vote and of course, no Democrat should be allowed to vote. Also, if you are dead you should not be allowed to vote.
Gee, every dead person I know TELLS me they vote Republican! :eusa_whistle:

Would such a test disqualify anyone who thinks that Native Americans are actually the lost tribes of Isreal? If so, does that mean that Mitt would not have been allowed to vote for himself?

Last edited:

I think if you're going to change the qualifications for voting it should be something along the lines of those that actually PAY into the system get a say on how it's run while those that pay nothing don't.

Using an IQ or "general knowledge" test is subject to all sorts of nefarious manipulation.

This is also un-Constitutional:

We conclude that a State violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment whenever it makes the affluence of the voter or payment of any fee an electoral standard. Voter qualifications have no relation to wealth nor to paying or not paying this or any other tax. [n4] Our cases demonstrate that the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment restrains the States from fixing voter qualifications which invidiously discriminate.

http://legislationline.org/documents/action/popup/id/8118

The 1 in 4 people who aren't aware that the earth revolves around the sun probably think that Obama had something to do with it.

The 1 in 4 people who aren't aware that the earth revolves around the sun probably think that Obama had something to do with it.

Throw out the 50% who don't believe in evolution while you are at it

Well if you can actually demonstrate that with something approaching reason and evidence I really wouldn't understand what your problem would be with that sort of voter qualification since according to your own assertion everyone would qualify to vote.

Well, you'll be moving the goalposts I'm sure but I can't think of anyone who doesn't pay taxes.

Well, you'll be moving the goalposts I'm sure
If you're going to construct strawmen at least try to be a bit more creative about it. :cool:

but I can't think of anyone who doesn't pay taxes.

Let me help you out ....

Those whose income is derived solely from government subsidies
Those whose income is derived solely from criminal activity
Those whose income from government subsidies > than amount paid in taxes

If you're going to construct strawmen at least try to be a bit more creative about it. :cool:

Let me help you out ....

Those are not people who pay no taxes. There is practically nothing you can buy that doesn't either have a tax on it, or a tax cost built into it.

Let me help you out ....

Politicians?

Let me help you out ....

Those are not people who pay no taxes. There is practically nothing you can buy that doesn't either have a tax on it, or a tax cost built into it.

Apparently you are attempting to distort the meaning of PAY into something that doesn't involve a net positive input into the system. People that derive their incomes from subsidies and/or criminal activity aren't net payers into the system, they are in fact net takers since the amount of taxes they pay cannot be greater than the amount of money they take out.

One would think this concept would be self-evident especially after reading point #3 that I already gave you but apparently it's a math bridge too far for some...

for example: If I steal money from you to pay my bills that doesn't mean that I'm paying my bills, it means YOU are paying my bills and I suspect that you wouldn't be very happy with the prospect of me having an equal vote in determining whether my stealing your money to pay my bills should be legal or not.

Universal adult suffrage is a basic principle of democracy but is this the right thing to do?
Is this the right thing to do in a republic? No.

Even in the decades following the creation of our new government, when democracy was restricted to the lower chamber of the legislature, suffrage wasn't universal. Voting wasn't a right.

Through constitutional amendments, we have been transforming participation of the franchise into a right, though it can never be an unalienable right because it is not innate (it becomes a desire only after we create reasons to vote). Liberals insist on calling it a right, anyway, ever so slowly broadening the definition of the term to include government endowments.

No, universal suffrage is never smart, even in countries with democratic governments.

I don't think everyone should be allowed to vote because little kids will not know well enough who is the better person to go with out of whoever runs for the presidential office, but I do think that people should be allowed to vote before they have hit 18 years old. If that law was changed to where people as young as 15 or 16 could vote, I wouldn't argue with it.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I remember what got addressed during a 7th Heaven episode that was first shown around the time that the 2004 election took place and I felt bad for Ruthie, Martin, and their high school class mates because none of them were not old enough to vote yet.

Last edited:

Let me help you out ....

They pay taxes when purchasing, and when the monies run out they use their own from whatever source and pay sales taxes I am sure.
Are you still wanting to prosecute thought crimes also?

So you want the dairy farmers stopped from voting?

Last edited:

Let me help you out ....

They pay taxes when purchasing, and when the monies run out they use their own from whatever source and pay sales taxes I am sure.
Are you still wanting to prosecute thought crimes also?

So you want the dairy farmers stopped from voting?

Yes!
And all the corn farmers in Iowa too!

If you lose the right to vote you should lose the requirement to pay taxes.

No taxation without representation.

Forum List

Back