Should Drugs be Legalized?

No. Absolutely not. All drugs should be illegal. All cigarettes, all marijuana, every single other drug - illegal. If a toaster oven catches fire and burns my hand, I can sue the manufacturer - because products that cause harm to people after usage of said product is illegal. All products that harm the user should be illegal. All drugs should be absolutely 100% illegal.

The difference being that the toaster oven incident is an accident, whereas you get into drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol realizing that they're bad for you. If you still choose to do them, then that was your choice. The government can't legislate morality, and shouldn't be suppressing freedom of choice.

This has nothing to do with freedom. An alzheimer's patient is not able to decide correct medical treatment for themselves - they need someone else to.

People who choose to do drugs are psychologically unable to decide rationally for themselves - they're mentally disabled. Just like a schizophrenic - they are not able to control their actions. If a depressed person refuses to take his or her medication to get better, they are doing so because of the depression - thus the sickness is causing their actions. Same thing with drug use. Their mental disability is causing them to do drugs. They are not in control of their actions.

Are you ready to make alcohol illegal? It CERTAINLY is a drug.

Yep, eots, you would be a moonshiner if you kept it up inside a legalization structure. But you could also start a company and be a boutique supplier. That has been very successful in the brewery business.

Not to make too fine a point of it, but legalization does not lead in a straight line to a government-only product. At the end of the day we are talking about a commercial product offering sold through conventional distribution channels. While drugs above hemp would probably be regulated by portion, at least, hemp would probably be a creative product area.

I'd rep editec again, but I can't. So I'll simply say that I agree with him. Decriminalize it, then get the government out of the way and let the market take care of it.

I'm planting some clones called early girl this year they are a cross between low thc fast growing hemp and high thc India..that flower in mid august instead of Oct...and the best part is its all done of government land !...I just spread them all over the place like johnny apple seed but deer and squirrels usual get at least half of them....

If you can manage the short memory loss and it doesn't impact your job peformance who cares? Interestingly enough DOT studies tend to indicate that Mary Janes effects linger on considerably longer than do those of most other drugs.

There's so much bullshit about MJ going around... The short term memory loss you're speaking of never extends over maybe a couple of days - and it's not really a 'memory loss', more of a slowing down of the process of accessing the short term memory... Of course, it's not good to smoke that shit every single day - doing anything every single day will have lasting negative effects ... speaking of any drugs or anything that can be potentially and in the long run bad for you...

I'm totally for legalizing MJ...

No! Just tax the crap outta the people caught using drugs and those caught selling drugs.. keep em outta our prisons and tax the crap outta them.. Caught with a nickel bag.. That will 100.00 federal tax. Thank You man! Think of it as a "sin" tax, just as cigarettes and alcohol are..

What (among the apparently infinite number of things) you apparently don't understand is that your proposed tax is ALREADY far less than the fines stoners pay for having amounts of hemp which are far less than nickle bag you describe.

The going rate for example for any amount of hemp is about $400 plus a couple hundred for any and every piece of "paraphenalia.

Asking if we should legalize hemp make about as much sense as if we were asking ourselves if we should legalize corn or turnips.

If you can manage the short memory loss and it doesn't impact your job peformance who cares? Interestingly enough DOT studies tend to indicate that Mary Janes effects linger on considerably longer than do those of most other drugs.

There's so much bullshit about MJ going around... The short term memory loss you're speaking of never extends over maybe a couple of days - and it's not really a 'memory loss', more of a slowing down of the process of accessing the short term memory... Of course, it's not good to smoke that shit every single day - doing anything every single day will have lasting negative effects ... speaking of any drugs or anything that can be potentially and in the long run bad for you...

I am totally for legalizing pot, too. but it does have effects on short term memory loss over time: meaning 20 years after your last joint, assuming you smoked often 20 years ago, you can still have short term memory loss. At least that's what I've been told by friends. I've never tried it.

No! Just tax the crap outta the people caught using drugs and those caught selling drugs.. keep em outta our prisons and tax the crap outta them.. Caught with a nickel bag.. That will 100.00 federal tax. Thank You man! Think of it as a "sin" tax, just as cigarettes and alcohol are..

What you are describing is a fine ...

I am totally for legalizing pot, too. but it does have effects on short term memory loss over time: meaning 20 years after your last joint, assuming you smoked often 20 years ago, you can still have short term memory loss. At least that's what I've been told by friends. I've never tried it.

You're friends are pulling your leg.

There are actually quite a few people in public life who would probably improve things if they experienced some memory loss. CSPAN would be a lot less dull that is for certain. We would also see more news conferences where one of our trusted representatives would respond, "did I say that?" and mean it. Anyway. Attempt at some levity.

This is clearly a complex social issue, made more so by the Mexican border control matter now at hand.

Just about everyone concerned about the direction of our society would like this to go away, or at least stay out the sight of polite society. Meanwhile polite society’s children join right in; the poor even more so.

The Parade of Horribles
Drug criminals flourish. Hollywood, sports figures and everyone with money treats drugs as an affordable indulgence. Flower children from the 60’s don’t seem to care and they are running our higher education system. Law enforcement tries as it can, the justice system equivocates on the law. We work with other countries, we have quiet military operations.

We talk about pacifying Afghanistan when their principle domestic product is opium. Libertarians, who have some dubious views as do other political factions, are all for it but not on radar. And on it goes.

Now, we have Barbarians at the Gate of the Mexico border. There is no powerful political constituency for Washington to serve, and, with everything else that is going on, a general weariness in the public along with a great many who wonder why this was not fixed already.

Do We Want to Fight a War on Drugs?
There is no evidence of this being an issue which is taken seriously in Washington, across administrations. That usually signals that the enlightened self-interest of the Congress is being served elsewhere, to be kind about it.
Since this is an international phenomenon involving wealthy, casually interested populations as well as banana republic and lawless places, the idea of doing anything more than impeding flows is unrealistic.

But where would be today if, like prohibition, drugs were legal and controlled? By the word, controlled, I am referring to how liquor today is still sold out of state stores in several places.

What is your view?

no they shouldn't be

yes they should be, we're grown ups and don't need "uncle Sammy daycare" to deal with this.

so then you gonna foot the hospital bills for the increase in junkies? Cause I sure don't want to.

You footing the bill for them being in jail and law enforcement now to the tune of more than 40 billion a year:cuckoo: I'd soon let em do their drugs and if their hearts blow out of their fucking chests so be it however free healthcare is another matter I suppose but no, I don't support that either.

Last edited:
This is clearly a complex social issue, made more so by the Mexican border control matter now at hand.

Just about everyone concerned about the direction of our society would like this to go away, or at least stay out the sight of polite society. Meanwhile polite society’s children join right in; the poor even more so.

The Parade of Horribles
Drug criminals flourish. Hollywood, sports figures and everyone with money treats drugs as an affordable indulgence. Flower children from the 60’s don’t seem to care and they are running our higher education system. Law enforcement tries as it can, the justice system equivocates on the law. We work with other countries, we have quiet military operations.

We talk about pacifying Afghanistan when their principle domestic product is opium. Libertarians, who have some dubious views as do other political factions, are all for it but not on radar. And on it goes.

Now, we have Barbarians at the Gate of the Mexico border. There is no powerful political constituency for Washington to serve, and, with everything else that is going on, a general weariness in the public along with a great many who wonder why this was not fixed already.

Do We Want to Fight a War on Drugs?
There is no evidence of this being an issue which is taken seriously in Washington, across administrations. That usually signals that the enlightened self-interest of the Congress is being served elsewhere, to be kind about it.
Since this is an international phenomenon involving wealthy, casually interested populations as well as banana republic and lawless places, the idea of doing anything more than impeding flows is unrealistic.

But where would be today if, like prohibition, drugs were legal and controlled? By the word, controlled, I am referring to how liquor today is still sold out of state stores in several places.

What is your view?
First of all...No ones opinion on this matter on this board means a damn thing and will change nothing about this subject. With that out of the way...I can't believe some of the rebuttals to this article, just proves that sheeple are alive and well and still stuck going round and round the mountain out in the desert. Everyone that has seriously researched this topic for a solution now knows that drugs are a HUGE business and the players go all the way to the top of the pyramid. C.I.A. does stand for Cocaine Import Agency. The war on drugs is a fraud and making anything illegal only creates a black market for it and a HUGE business for those involved with lots of payoffs. The Gov, CIA, Covert opps, top officials bring that shit in by the tanker full and distribute to their buddies who most subscribe to wall street and the like. It slowly dwindles down to the junkie crack head on the corner selling dime bags who gets busted and snitches off on who he got it from to avoid serious prosecution but still pays a steep fine. (remember it is all about money) The next guy up the line then snitches off who he got the ounce of crap from and gets a steeper fine but avoids serious prosecution. And so on and so on it goes until someone gets busted with a couple pounds and it never goes any further than that...WHY? because if they continued up the ladder they would eventually dispose of the drug trade all together and then they wouldn't be able to hire more cops, buy new cars, better and more guns and equipment and they would be OUT OF BUSINESS! The war on drugs is a fraud and a lie and drugs will never be legalized and the war on drugs will never be won...THERE IS TOO MUCH MONEY INVOLVED! Think about it a minute...If they really wanted to stop drugs from coming into this country and put the drug business out of business they would have done it many years ago. They just want you to believe they are fighting a war on drugs. They dont call it the "DRUG "ENFORCEMENT" AGENCY" FOR NOTHING.

yes they should be, we're grown ups and don't need "uncle Sammy daycare" to deal with this.

so then you gonna foot the hospital bills for the increase in junkies? Cause I sure don't want to.

You footing the bill for them being in jail and law enforcement now to the tune of more than 40 billion a year:cuckoo: I'd soon let em do their drugs and if their hearts blow out of their fucking chests so be it however free healthcare is another matter I suppose but no, I don't support that either.

So like a drug dealer you don't care how many kids get sick and die as long as your free to do whatever? I call the selfish. Now we both know if drugs are ever made legal we will have national health care. Maybe that is what you really want.

So like a drug dealer you don't care how many kids get sick and die as long as your free to do whatever? I call the selfish. Now we both know if drugs are ever made legal we will have national health care. Maybe that is what you really want.

That's happening now, now isn't it? My 17 year old Daughter or my 14 year old Nephew could get a bag of weed now easier than they could get a six pack of beer or a carton of cigarettes. Hell, your young, you telling me you never smoked pot? It was illegal if you did, now wasn't it?

Should drugs be legalized?

Sure if the goal is to substantially increase the ill effects of even greater number of drug addled minds...

Why we'd want to do that is unknown to me, but hey... I didn't think it was a good idea to elect a Marxist Muslim in the midst of a war with Muslims and the struggle to recover from the crippling results of leftist fiscal policy which we'd already follishly allowed to be implemented.

Forum List

Back