Sex Offenders in Florida now have Warning Signs outside of their Homes

Last week, 18 sex offenders in Bradford County, Florida, found large red signs outside their homes that read, "a convicted sexual predator... lives at this location." The Bradford County Police Department installed the signs.

child-molester-sign.gif

Wow.....that's very intense. I'm not sure what to think. I'm thinking it may be a matter of how serious the crime was or how often this was a repeat offender.

There are repeat offenders of every type. Cruel and unusual in my book. Germany liked to publically shame people in the 1930's too.

Sex offenders are treated worse than murderers. It really kind of boggles the mind.

I understand that there is a 'for the children!' aspect to it. Of course, not all sex offenders are pedophiles. And of course, murderers can also kill children.

And hey, what about thieves? Wouldn't you want to know if a convicted thief moves next to you, so you can take steps to protect your property?

What about drunk drivers? Don't you want to know if a convicted drunk driver lives next to you, so you can be more vigilant and protect 'the children'?

It's the inconsistency that really bothers me. Why do only sex offenders have this sort of treatment? If they are dangerous, keep them locked up. If they are not more dangerous than other criminals, why treat them differently?

This is a good point. If you want to be warned about a sex offender living nearby, you'd also want to know if there was a murderer or even a thief or other dangerous criminal. I suppose we'd all like to know who those people are in our midst, but we don't. Sex offenders are usually listed somewhere on the internet as to where they live, if you have any in your neighborhood. Shouldn't that be enough? The adult can look it up and warn their children. These signs are too much like the scarlet letter and don't seem to discriminate as far as the seriousness of the crime and the possibility for repeat offense. I think listing them online and maybe notices sent out when one moves in...but these big red signs are over the top.

Sex offenders are treated worse than murderers. It really kind of boggles the mind.

I understand that there is a 'for the children!' aspect to it. Of course, not all sex offenders are pedophiles. And of course, murderers can also kill children.

And hey, what about thieves? Wouldn't you want to know if a convicted thief moves next to you, so you can take steps to protect your property?

What about drunk drivers? Don't you want to know if a convicted drunk driver lives next to you, so you can be more vigilant and protect 'the children'?

It's the inconsistency that really bothers me. Why do only sex offenders have this sort of treatment? If they are dangerous, keep them locked up. If they are not more dangerous than other criminals, why treat them differently?

This is a good point. If you want to be warned about a sex offender living nearby, you'd also want to know if there was a murderer or even a thief or other dangerous criminal. I suppose we'd all like to know who those people are in our midst, but we don't. Sex offenders are usually listed somewhere on the internet as to where they live, if you have any in your neighborhood. Shouldn't that be enough? The adult can look it up and warn their children. These signs are too much like the scarlet letter and don't seem to discriminate as far as the seriousness of the crime and the possibility for repeat offense. I think listing them online and maybe notices sent out when one moves in...but these big red signs are over the top.

Florida Sex Offender Registry:
FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators

The info is available for anybody curious enough to look for it.

The pigs should stick to law enforcement and stop wasting time with asinine bullshit such as this. By what authority were they given the right to post those signs?

What next? The guy in this house had a DUI".

Stupid shit.

The pigs should stick to law enforcement and stop wasting time with asinine bullshit such as this. By what authority were they given the right to post those signs?
STORAGE NAME: h3107s1.cp
DATE: February 12, 1998
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
BILL #: CS/HB 3107
RELATING TO: SEXUAL PREDATOR REGISTRATION
SPONSOR(S): REPRESENTATIVES FASANO AND EFFMAN
COMPANION BILL(S): SB 514(S)
ORIGINATING COMMITTEE(S)/COMMITTEE(S) OF REFERENCE:
(1) CRIME AND PUNISHMENT YEAS 8 NAYS 0

I. SUMMARY:

Section 775.21, F.S. is known as the Florida Sexual Predators Act. It designates
certain serious or repeat sex offenders as “sexual predators” requiring them to submit
to pervasive registration requirements which assist law enforcement and the
community to know of their presence and, thereby, reduce the likelihood that they will
offend again.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/data/session/1998/House/bills/analysis/pdf/HB3107S1.CP.pdf

I didn't see anything about posting signs on property in that document. I hate peds too but what about if some kid was convicted of statutory rape? Stalking is considered a sex crime in my state. Should people be forced to wear a scarlet letter their entire lives? Where does it end?

Last week, 18 sex offenders in Bradford County, Florida, found large red signs outside their homes that read, "a convicted sexual predator... lives at this location." The Bradford County Police Department installed the signs.

child-molester-sign.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to defend these people, but it makes me wonder when you have been considered to have done your punishment?
Unless it was part of the court sentence, how can the police do this?

Never in Florida.

•A registered sexual offender meeting Florida statutory criteria is required to register for life, unless he/she has received a full pardon or received post-conviction relief for his/her qualifying offense.

Forum List

Back