Sex Offenders in Florida now have Warning Signs outside of their Homes

i googled Bradford, FL--somewhere around Gainesville and also the location of several prisons, iirc.

it will not be happening in my community, I know that.

I have googled crime stats and learned that sex offenders of some kind live near me.

Something like this would be detrimental to property owners--wouldn't be supported.

It may be very politically popular in certain counties. If they like it, they get it. I don't see it as true deterrent and can see several negatives---- but it ain't my county.

yes.
when this sort of news comes up--I need some background fyi. I gave up trying to grasp what life is like in Trayvon Martin's community--where the incident occurred--he was living in Miami.

What I know for a fact--lots of demographics exist on my area/and any area. Usually we are 'liberal'--you would have to go further and stipulate 'socially liberal'. In that way diversity exists--if you are a property owner you think about that. Primarily adults and from what I gather any children living in my neighborhood are homeschooled, enrolled in private/parochial schools or attending public school. Very, very few trick or treaters.

There are many problems with this bull shit but imo, the biggest is that it takes so little these days to be labeled a sex offender for one's WHOLE LIFE.

Fact: People who have gone streaking at public gatherings like ball games, have been labeled sex offenders. What used to be a humorous fad, will now get you one of these signs in your yard for the rest of your life.

Not to mention those signs make no distinction and the public see's the label "sex offender" and immediately thinks pedophile regardless of offense.

It's very dangerous to single people for violence or shunning like that. Not good.

Wait wait.

That's what I thought at first also.

But there is a large distinction between an "offender" and a "predator" in Florida.

The signs are for "predators".

As I pointed out, 2 lewd conduct convictions gets one labelled a predator in Florida. That seemed to mean that an 18-year-old with a 15-year-old boy/girl friend could easily end up as a predator, and that type of relationship isn't that uncommon, nor anything I think should constitute the sexual predator label. It also means that if someone exposes themselves to a 15 year old, they can end up with a sexual predator label. Not to defend such a thing, but it doesn't reach that level in my mind.

Add in the possibility of being convicted of lewd conduct for something that really shouldn't fall under the law (just what constitutes lewd behavior? the statute seemed pretty vague at times) and the sexual predator label is one I think gets overused.

And if murderers aren't bad enough to need a sign, if you could conceivably torture someone to death, end up out of prison on probation and not get this sign, sex offenders certainly shouldn't be singled out.

There are also questions of equal protection and privacy involved.

I know that many of the liberals/progressives on the board want to coddle the recently released pedophiles and defend their civil rights...... and blah, blah, blah......

Look, it's all about protecting our children. Period.

These perverts have lost their rights to ever be acknowledged as normal human beings or members of society.

So I could care less what indignities or hardships they have suffer. .. :evil:

Not to mention those signs make no distinction and the public see's the label "sex offender" and immediately thinks pedophile regardless of offense.

It's very dangerous to single people for violence or shunning like that. Not good.

Wait wait.

But there is a large distinction between an "offender" and a "predator" in Florida.

As I pointed out, 2 lewd conduct convictions gets one labelled a predator in Florida. That seemed to mean that an 18-year-old with a 15-year-old boy/girl friend could easily end up as a predator, and that type of relationship isn't that uncommon, nor anything I think should constitute the sexual predator label. It also means that if someone exposes themselves to a 15 year old, they can end up with a sexual predator label. Not to defend such a thing, but it doesn't reach that level in my mind.

Add in the possibility of being convicted of lewd conduct for something that really shouldn't fall under the law (just what constitutes lewd behavior? the statute seemed pretty vague at times) and the sexual predator label is one I think gets overused.

And if murderers aren't bad enough to need a sign, if you could conceivably torture someone to death, end up out of prison on probation and not get this sign, sex offenders certainly shouldn't be singled out.

I understand what you're saying and that was my reservation at the beginning with "all" offenders, however, also to be deemed a "predator" the court must issue a written order finding for predator status. So it's not like 18/15 thing BAM! you're a predator. For example, where the signs were put up in that county there were 98 registered sex offenders and 18 of them were predators.

If you are convicted and the court issues an order labeling you a predator there's a damn good reason.

I'm a girl and a mom.... I keep an eye on who is in the database around here, I've never seen a "predator" turn up within a 10 mile radius, lots of offenders. If a predator popped up. Well... I'd probably get a sign out :)

I know that many of the liberals/progressives on the board want to coddle the recently released pedophiles and defend their civil rights...... and blah, blah, blah......

These perverts have lost their rights to ever be acknowledged as normal human beings or members of society.

so fix the laws and leave em in prison---save money on signs and buy the kids books.

so fix the laws and leave em in prison---save money on signs and buy the kids books.

Ta-Da!

Problem solved.

Next?

Ta-Da!

Problem solved.

Next?

Unless people just enjoy the drama of course.....

If it were up to the citizens of this state, a majority of us would have it that way. The average citizen in this country is not listened to by anyone in a government position, whether it's state or federal. If you don't have the money to 'bribe' a politician with, you're pretty much left out on the sidewalk.

Wait wait.

I understand what you're saying and that was my reservation at the beginning with "all" offenders, however, also to be deemed a "predator" the court must issue a written order finding for predator status. So it's not like 18/15 thing BAM! you're a predator. For example, where the signs were put up in that county there were 98 registered sex offenders and 18 of them were predators.

If you are convicted and the court issues an order labeling you a predator there's a damn good reason.

I'm a girl and a mom.... I keep an eye on who is in the database around here, I've never seen a "predator" turn up within a 10 mile radius, lots of offenders. If a predator popped up. Well... I'd probably get a sign out :)

I didn't see any leeway for the labeling as a predator, but I may have missed it.

I don't entirely trust that the courts will only slap a predator label on someone for a damn good reason. Too often courts are inconsistent, judges may decide to make an example of someone, etc. I understand the sentiment, and if it requires a special court order rather than being an automatic function the sex predator label probably is usually used when there's damn good reason. It's the occasions, however infrequent, when there isn't a damn good reason I get concerned with. Well, that and the always present possibility of people voting in some foolish sex offender law because of emotion rather than reason, or legislatures doing the same to pander to that emotion.

And of course, as most of us can probably agree, I think it's just too much of a half-assed measure whatever the case. If they're dangerous, keep them locked up! Let's loosen up some of our drug laws to free up prison space if that's the problem. ;)

There are many problems with this bull shit but imo, the biggest is that it takes so little these days to be labeled a sex offender for one's WHOLE LIFE.

Fact: People who have gone streaking at public gatherings like ball games, have been labeled sex offenders. What used to be a humorous fad, will now get you one of these signs in your yard for the rest of your life.

This action is for sexual predators, not all registered sex offenders.

775.21 - - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

where the victim is a minor and the defendant is not the victim’s parent or guardian; s. 794.011, excluding s. 794.011(10); s. 794.05; s. 796.03; s. 796.035; s. 800.04; s. 827.071; s. 847.0133; s. 847.0135(

Last edited:
STORAGE NAME: h3107s1.cp
DATE: February 12, 1998
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
BILL #: CS/HB 3107
RELATING TO: SEXUAL PREDATOR REGISTRATION
SPONSOR(S): REPRESENTATIVES FASANO AND EFFMAN
COMPANION BILL(S): SB 514(S)
ORIGINATING COMMITTEE(S)/COMMITTEE(S) OF REFERENCE:
(1) CRIME AND PUNISHMENT YEAS 8 NAYS 0

I. SUMMARY:

Section 775.21, F.S. is known as the Florida Sexual Predators Act. It designates
certain serious or repeat sex offenders as “sexual predators” requiring them to submit
to pervasive registration requirements which assist law enforcement and the
community to know of their presence and, thereby, reduce the likelihood that they will
offend again.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/data/session/1998/House/bills/analysis/pdf/HB3107S1.CP.pdf

Bumping this post because it explains those that get the signs.

I notice that a person convicted of Lewd or Lascivious Conduct twice constitutes a sexual predator. From my reading of the relevant law, this means that an 18 year old can engage in whatever Florida classifies as lewd or lascivious behavior with a 15 year old and be a sexual predator, get one of these signs, and be stuck with it for a minimum of 20 years. That includes a lot of things, including things with zero physical contact. In fact, at the end of the statute, they felt the need to clarify that breast-feeding cannot count as lewd or lascivious behavior.

I think that some of you may be under a false impression of just what can be considered sexual predation.

Here's the Lewd or Lascivious Conduct statute if you're interested.
800.04 - - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

This seems like a bs sop to the public. If the offenders are truly so dangerous, why aren't they still imprisoned? This is as much as admitting that the penal system is releasing dangerous criminals back into the public. Why?

That's not true. Predators are only those who had victims under 12.

800.04 is one of the excluded statutes from the definition unless the perp is the victim's parent:

1. The felony is:

a. A capital, life, or first-degree felony violation, or any attempt thereof, of s. 787.01 or s. 787.02, where the victim is a minor and the defendant is not the victim's parent, or of chapter 794, s. 800.04, or s. 847.0145, or a violation of a similar law of another jurisdiction; or

b. Any felony violation, or any attempt thereof, of s. 787.01, s. 787.02, or s. 787.025(2)(c), where the victim is a minor and the defendant is not the victim's parent; chapter 794, excluding ss. 794.011(10) and 794.0235; . 796.03; s. 796.035; s. 800.04; s. 825.1025(2)(b); s. 827.071; s. 847.0145; or 1s. 985.701(1); or a violation of a similar law of another jurisdiction, and the offender has previously been convicted of or found to have committed, or has pled nolo contendere or guilty to, regardless of adjudication, any violation of s. 787.01, s. 787.02, or s. 787.025(2)(c), where the victim is a minor and the defendant is not the victim's parent; s. 794.011(2), (3), (4), (5), or (8); s. 794.05; s. 796.03; s. 796.035; s. 800.04; s. 825.1025; s. 827.071; s. 847.0133; s. 847.0135; s. 847.0145; or 1s. 985.701(1); or a violation of a similar law of another jurisdiction;

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/PredatorDefinition.jsp

Last edited:

The sign says "Sexual Predator" not "Sex Offender"

If it were up to the citizens of this state, a majority of us would have it that way. The average citizen in this country is not listened to by anyone in a government position, whether it's state or federal. If you don't have the money to 'bribe' a politician with, you're pretty much left out on the sidewalk.

I guess you get signs then. Lucky dogs.

I'm all for truth, justice and the American way but it seems to me that felons who have paid their debt to society should be left in peace and their parole officers. Why not post a sign in the front of paroled junkies or bank robbers or murderers? I'm guessing that the County Mounties are campaigning for the next election.

I'm all for truth, justice and the American way but it seems to me that felons who have paid their debt to society should be left in peace and their parole officers. Why not post a sign in the front of paroled junkies or bank robbers or murderers? I'm guessing that the County Mounties are campaigning for the next election.

Because junkies and bank robbers generally don't diddle kids. Sexual Predators do.

Because junkies and bank robbers generally don't diddle kids. Sexual Predators do.

can't afford to warn people against other bad guys ?

can't afford to warn people against other bad guys ?

Special circumstances for extremely heinous crimes.

Forum List

Back