Several thoughts: the Nunes memo, investigations, and surveillance applications

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
1 -- Did you ever write a book report about a book you didn't read?
In effect, writing a book report about a book he didn't read is precisely what's Devin Nunes did when he wrote (claimed to have written, if his staff wrote it) the memo that's now occupying so much of the national cable news conversation. The "book," about which Nunes' memo purports to describe is the actual FISA Court request for authorization to wiretap Carter Page, and Nunes has clearly stated he didn't read the FISA Court (FISC) application for that wiretap.

I don't care what one writes, or what hindsight may indicate about how accurately or inaccurately one guesses about the nature of the "book," the simple fact is that at the time one writes a report about a book one has not read, one does not know what one is writing about. Period.​

2 -- Nunes' memo contains implicit specious assumptions that it does not establish as points of factual happenstance.
  • Nunes' memo presumes that the Steele dossier information submitted to the FISC was not verified by other sources. It's been reported repeatedly that some elements of the Steele dossier were corroborated by other means/sources and some were not. Insofar as Nunes has no idea of what of that dossier's content made it into the FISA warrant application. h
  • Nunes' memo presumes that the key basis on which the FISC is the Steele Dossier was pivotal in the FISC's, yet Nunes' memo asserts nothing about what in the FISA warrant application moved the FISC judge(s) to grant the FISA warrants.
  • Nunes' memo contains a running theme whereby it suggests that one's bias for or against something somehow affects the veracity (or lack thereof) of their assertions about points of fact, points of what happened, when, and who did what.
3 -- The Steele dossier was not part of the first FISA application and did not spur the 2016 investigation of Carter Page.
"According to the head of the counterintelligence division, Assistant Director Bill Priestap, corroboration of the Steele dossier was in its "infancy" at the time of the initial Page FISA application."
In fact, Carter Page had been under FBI investigation since 2013!

The Papadopoulos information triggered the opening of an FBI counterintelligence investigation in late July 2016 by FBI.

4 -- In the presentation of data, who produced that information is irrelevant to the data's veracity.
The claim/inverfence made by Nunes, Trump and others is that because the Steele dossier was paid for by the Clinton Campaign, the information in it that made its way into the application submitted to the FISC is somehow inaccurate, unreliable, etc. is nothing other than a claim/inference based on fallacious ad hominem reasoning, specifically a mix of the forms called "guilt by association" and "poisoning the well."
5 -- Why or how facts are obtained and shared has nothing to do with their verity.
That information that (1) came from the Steele Dossier and (2) that was included in the application submission, provided that it was verified by other research and/or credible attestations, is factually, contextually and/or interpretively accurate is neither more nor less so because that information was first obtained by the Clinton campaign. To think otherwise is tantamount to "your" thinking that because "so and so," who is "your" opponent whom "you" don't like/trust, first discovered/publicized that "such and such" happened, that it happened is doubtful, even though "you" confirmed via other sources/methods that it did in fact happen.

What matters from a legal and logical standpoint is whether the information is accurate or isn't accurate. Period. The motivations of the person(s) who first obtained the factual information have no bearing on the information's veracity. Because that's so, it doesn't make any difference whether third parties know of the information originator's motivations or don't know of them.
6 -- The point of an investigation is to determine what is/isn't so and/or what did/didn't transpire.
When law enforcement personnel submit to courts requests to wiretap someone's electronic communications or search one's property, the request always has the following argumentative (rhetorical) structure:
Based on the information included in this application, we believe there is probable cause to think "so and so" is party to ongoing/possesses/ "such and such." In order to determine whether in fact "so and so" is party to/possess "such and such," we request that the Court grant us a warrant to "do the following things."​
Searches and seizures of any sort are but part of the means used to determine what did and didn't happen and what role(s) various individuals played in the undertaking of what transpired.

From what I can tell, Trump and certain of his backers object to the "Russia" investigation on the basis that it aims to discover what exactly is/was the nature of Trump's and other's interactions with Russian state actors and/or cutouts. Now if Trump or any of his cohorts know they did something culpably illegal, I understand why they'd be annoyed about the very existence of a federal investigation into such things: such an investigation notably increases the likelihood of discovery re: any culpably illegal acts they committed.

Do I know that is a reason Trump despises the existentiality of the investigation into his and his campaign's dealings? No. I know only that were I being thus investigated, I'd be "freaking out" about what they might find that I did wrong and about which I either didn't know I had done wrong or had hoped to keep secret the fact that I'd done wrong.

Trump says he and his team members (WH and/or campaign) did nothing wrong. A key goal of the "Russia" investigation is to determine the veracity of that attestation. While politically, his attestation to that effect may, in some quarters, "hold water" and be taken as truthful, in a legal context, it holds no water as being truthful unless and until it becomes sworn testimony, and even then, if that attestation is in direct contravention of an indictment's assertions, it's only relevance is as a "not guilty" plea.​

According to Trump, the Nunes memo vindicates Trump from wrongdoing and that, per Trump, is why he authorized its declassification. The memo does nothing of the sort!
  • The memo contains no information that shows probatively whether Trump did or did not collaborate (willfully or unknowingly) with Russian efforts to meddle in the 2016 electoral process.
  • The memo contains no information that shows probatively whether Trump did or did not commit any other illegal acts.
The memo alleges that Steele is/was biased against Trump and because that is so, readers should therefore conclude that Trump did nothing illegal. Such reasoning is unmitigated sophistry.

As for why Trump and his supporters in Congress wanted the memo released, I think the primary reason is to shift the conversation away from whether Trump and/or his campaign/WH team members committed illegal acts. I think that because ever since investigations into the "Russia" matter began, Trump has repeatedly uttered/tweeted various forms of deflective rhetoric all of which has been one or another form of tu quoque, ad hominem and relative privation lines of so-called reasoning.

Last edited:
A wiseman once said...The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

In effect, writing a book report about a book he didn't read is precisely what's Devin Nunes did when he wrote (claimed to have written, if his staff wrote it) the memo that's now occupying so much of the national cable news conversation. The "book," about which Nunes' memo purports to describe is the actual FISA Court request for authorization to wiretap Carter Page, and Nunes has clearly stated he didn't read the FISA Court (FISC) application for that wiretap.

I don't care what one writes, or what hindsight may indicate about how accurately or inaccurately one guesses about the nature of the "book," the simple fact is that at the time one writes a report about a book one has not read, one does not know what one is writing about. Period.​

2 -- Nunes' memo contains implicit specious assumptions that it does not establish as points of factual happenstance.
  • Nunes' memo presumes that the Steele dossier information submitted to the FISC was not verified by other sources. It's been reported repeatedly that some elements of the Steele dossier were corroborated by other means/sources and some were not. Insofar as Nunes has no idea of what of that dossier's content made it into the FISA warrant application. h
  • Nunes' memo presumes that the key basis on which the FISC is the Steele Dossier was pivotal in the FISC's, yet Nunes' memo asserts nothing about what in the FISA warrant application moved the FISC judge(s) to grant the FISA warrants.
  • Nunes' memo contains a running theme whereby it suggests that one's bias for or against something somehow affects the veracity (or lack thereof) of their assertions about points of fact, points of what happened, when, and who did what.
3 -- The Steele dossier was not part of the first FISA application and did not spur the 2016 investigation of Carter Page.
"According to the head of the counterintelligence division, Assistant Director Bill Priestap, corroboration of the Steele dossier was in its "infancy" at the time of the initial Page FISA application."

The Papadopoulos information triggered the opening of an FBI counterintelligence investigation in late July 2016 by FBI.

4 -- In the presentation of data, who produced that information is irrelevant to the data's veracity.
The claim/inverfence made by Nunes, Trump and others is that because the Steele dossier was paid for by the Clinton Campaign, the information in it that made its way into the application submitted to the FISC is somehow inaccurate, unreliable, etc. is nothing other than a claim/inference based on fallacious ad hominem reasoning, specifically a mix of the forms called "guilt by association" and "poisoning the well."
5 -- Why or how facts are obtained and shared has nothing to do with their verity.
That information that (1) came from the Steele Dossier and (2) that was included in the application submission, provided that it was verified by other research and/or credible attestations, is factually, contextually and/or interpretively accurate is neither more nor less so because that information was first obtained by the Clinton campaign. To think otherwise is tantamount to "your" thinking that because "so and so," who is "your" opponent whom "you" don't like/trust, first discovered/publicized that "such and such" happened, that it happened is doubtful, even though "you" confirmed via other sources/methods that it did in fact happen.

What matters from a legal and logical standpoint is whether the information is accurate or isn't accurate. Period. The motivations of the person(s) who first obtained the factual information have no bearing on the information's veracity. Because that's so, it doesn't make any difference whether third parties know of the information originator's motivations or don't know of them.
6 -- The point of an investigation is to determine what is/isn't so and/or what did/didn't transpire.
When law enforcement personnel submit to courts requests to wiretap someone's electronic communications or search one's property, the request always has the following argumentative (rhetorical) structure:
Based on the information included in this application, we believe there is probable cause to think "so and so" is party to ongoing/possesses/ "such and such." In order to determine whether in fact "so and so" is party to/possess "such and such," we request that the Court grant us a warrant to "do the following things."​
Searches and seizures of any sort are but part of the means used to determine what did and didn't happen and what role(s) various individuals played in the undertaking of what transpired.

From what I can tell, Trump and certain of his backers object to the "Russia" investigation on the basis that it aims to discover what exactly is/was the nature of Trump's and other's interactions with Russian state actors and/or cutouts. Now if Trump or any of his cohorts know they did something culpably illegal, I understand why they'd be annoyed about the very existence of a federal investigation into such things: such an investigation notably increases the likelihood of discovery re: any culpably illegal acts they committed.

Do I know that is a reason Trump despises the existentiality of the investigation into his and his campaign's dealings? No. I know only that were I being thus investigated, I'd be "freaking out" about what they might find that I did wrong and about which I either didn't know I had done wrong or had hoped to keep secret the fact that I'd done wrong.

Trump says he and his team members (WH and/or campaign) did nothing wrong. A key goal of the "Russia" investigation is to determine the veracity of that attestation. While politically, his attestation to that effect may, in some quarters, "hold water" and be taken as truthful, in a legal context, it holds no water as being truthful unless and until it becomes sworn testimony, and even then, if that attestation is in direct contravention of an indictment's assertions, it's only relevance is as a "not guilty" plea.​
According to Trump, the Nunes memo vindicates Trump from wrongdoing and that, per Trump, is why he authorized its declassification. The memo does nothing of the sort!
  • The memo contains no information that shows probatively whether Trump did or did not collaborate (willfully or unknowingly) with Russian efforts to meddle in the 2016 electoral process.
  • The memo contains no information that shows probatively whether Trump did or did not commit any other illegal acts.
The memo alleges that Steele is/was biased against Trump and because that is so, readers should therefore conclude that Trump did nothing illegal. Such reasoning is unmitigated sophistry.

As for why Trump and his supporters in Congress wanted the memo released, I think the primary reason is to shift the conversation away from whether Trump and/or his campaign/WH team members committed illegal acts. I think that because ever since investigations into the "Russia" matter began, Trump has repeatedly uttered/tweeted various forms of deflective rhetoric all of which has been one or another form of tu quoque, ad hominem and relative privation lines of so-called reasoning.
The release of the memo is actually having the opposite of the desired effect, exhibiting just how desperate, pathetic, and reckless Trump and his supporters are.

Wow! Volumes of letters assembled into a mishmash of allegations and not one link to verify any of it! You make assertion after assertion that you can have no way of knowing if they are true.

Congratulations! You win the Dumb Ass of the Day Award!

read what

Devin Nunes didn’t read the documents referenced in his memo about FBI, Trump

did Trump even read the memo

—Trump himself told Axios last year, “I like bullets or I like as little as possible. I don’t need, you know, 200-page reports on something that can be handled on a page. That I can tell you.”

By the parameters of what Trump and his staff have reported about his reading ability, making it through a three-and-a-half-page memo appears to be wildly ambitious.

Did Donald Trump Read the Memo? Could He Read It?

...As for why Trump and his supporters in Congress wanted the memo released, I think the primary reason is to shift the conversation away from whether Trump and/or his campaign/WH team members committed illegal acts. I think that because ever since investigations into the "Russia" matter began, Trump has repeatedly uttered/tweeted various forms of deflective rhetoric all of which has been one or another form of tu quoque, ad hominem and relative privation lines of so-called reasoning.
Trump did nothing to deserve the massive, partisan witch hunt that the corrupt FBI under the Venal Comey launched on him, because they didn't like him, and didn't like that he won.

STUNNING ADMISSION, CONSIDERING THE SOURCE: Intel Community Blog Founder Admits Nunes Was Right About Spygate From The Beginning.

Devin-Nunes-998x666.jpg

The co-founder of the prominent intelligence community blog, Lawfare, admitted that a recent report from the Justice Department inspector general on FBI FISA abuses for Trump campaign surveillance has destroyed their own credibility.

The damming report from the DOJ IG documenting FBI abuses and vindicating the infamous Nunes memo on the discredited Steele Dossier alleging Russian collusion has been destructive to his publication’s reputation, because they could not bring themselves to believe that the FBI was thoroughly corrupt.

“Is there somebody who since the release of the Horowitz paper, someone in political life or a pontificator looks better or worse as a result of this report and why?” Baker asked the panel of three legal experts who specialize in the intelligence community.​

I feel like all of us, who, you might call us the ‘Lawfare crowd’ who were often denounced or criticized at least in the older days as being too quick to credit and too trust the good faith and completeness of the efforts of the FBI in this kind of context. A lot of us look bad right now and we’re sort of watching anxiously to see how the broader OIG investigation sheds light on whether this was a one-off problem or a broader problem but there’s no question that a lot of our positions don’t look as persuasive as a result of how this has turned out.​

Chesney’s humbling admission comes after three years of a continued push from Democrats charging the Trump campaign of colluding with the Russian government in a wild conspiracy theory offered legitimacy by the mainstream media. Trump of course, was completely vindicated after a two-year special counsel investigation led by Robert Mueller who found not one person on the Trump campaign, let alone Trump himself was working as a Russian agent.

A new report unveiled earlier this month from the Justice Department inspector general revealed the gross abuses of the FISA process committed by the FBI to guarantee warrants for its spying operations on the Trump campaign referred to as “Crossfire hurricane.” The inspector general found 17 significant omissions and errors from FISA applications requesting permission to continue its deep-state campaign to convict the president of being a Russian asset and overturn the results of the 2016 election.

Among the revelations from the report is the fact that FBI officials knew as early as January 2017 that the sources used from the Steele Dossier which were the basis for their warrant applications had provided junk intelligence and yet they pushed onward with their surveillance operations regardless as if it were credible.

The inspector general’s findings have further vindicated the infamous memo authored by Republican California Congressman Devin Nunes rebuking the Steele Dossier while contradicting the rival memo from House Democrats pushing now-completely debunked narrative. The media derided the Republicans’ findings and vilified Nunes while providing glowing coverage of California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff who was the lead perpetuator of the Russia hoax in the House.

Forum List

Back