Seven sailors missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with container ship in Japan

There is an earlier thread about this. It's been reported that the Container ship did a complete 180 and came back and rammed the USS Fitzgerald.
That is what needs to be looked very closely at. We are living in very unusual, sensitive, and trying times.

barley a scratch

170617141058-05-cargo-ship-uss-fitzgerald-0617-e.jpg
\

170616175607-uss-fitzgerald-damage-exlarge-169.jpg

I still dont understand how seven sailors ended up missing due to this "accident."
Looking at the damage I just dont see how thats possible.
elmer-hunting-be-wery-wery-quiet-i-smell-a-wabbit.jpg

This is crazy. I served aboard the USS Fitzgerald as a civilian. Often berthed in Chiefs overflow or engineering. Prayers sent for the missing sailors

-Geaux
----

MYSTERIOUS SHIP CRASH OFF JAPAN LEAVES 7 US SAILORS MISSING

YOKOSUKA, Japan (AP) -- U.S. and Japanese vessels and aircraft searched Saturday for seven American sailors who were missing after their Navy destroyer collided before dawn with a container ship four times its size off the coast of Japan.

The USS Fitzgerald was back at its home port in Yokosuka Naval Base south of Tokyo by sunset Saturday, its crew lined up on deck. The Philippine-flagged container ship was berthed at Tokyo's Oi wharf, where officials began questioning crew members about the cause of the nighttime crash.

After helping stabilize the USS Fitzgerald, the destroyer USS Dewey joined other American and Japanese vessels and aircraft in the search for the missing sailors.

At least three other Navy sailors were injured in the crash.

Family members were frantically seeking news, appealing via social media for calls from sailors aboard from the ship.

The U.S. 7th Fleet said in a statement that the crash damaged two berthing spaces, a machinery room and the radio room. Most of the more than 200 sailors aboard would have been asleep in their berths at the time of the pre-dawn crash.

News from The Associated Press
How could a US military ship accidently collide with anything? Sounds like a few people on both sides are going to get axed for being asleep at the wheel.
Makes no sense

It was a freak'n container ship and the Destroyer had to pass right in front of it

There had to be all kinds of alarms going off

PoliticalChic

Actually I now understand how they were killed.
Not due to news reports so much as a brain fart on my part.
I'd forgotten about the bulbous bow under the waterline as seen here before the ship has been loaded and it's under the waterline.
It obviously hit first under the waterline so the real damage is unseen.
upload_2017-6-19_17-28-41.png

Like trying to beat a train to the crossing is what our guys were trying to do. That's what I heard shortly after the collision.

If true, heads better roll.

Makes us look bad. And vulnerable to civilian shipping attacks. Our enemy already attacked one of our Navy ships with a small fishing boat. It was deadly. A ram with a huge container ship is bad news.
Our warships should stay away from areas like this with hundreds of other ships and boats.

Makes us look bad. And vulnerable to civilian shipping attacks. Our enemy already attacked one of our Navy ships with a small fishing boat. It was deadly. A ram with a huge container ship is bad news.
Our warships should stay away from areas like this with hundreds of other ships and boats.

Fishing boat????????

Are you talking about the USS Cole? That was NOT a fishing boat.

Stay away from those areas? You can't be serious! That's the dumbest thing I have seen today!

Forum List

Back