Seven sailors missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with container ship in Japan

Never underestimate our enemy. They would love to attack our Navy. Surely anyone knows that we can't defend our ships against a coordinated attack from multiple ships or boats in a crowded port or sea lane.

Makes us look bad. And vulnerable to civilian shipping attacks. Our enemy already attacked one of our Navy ships with a small fishing boat. It was deadly. A ram with a huge container ship is bad news.
Our warships should stay away from areas like this with hundreds of other ships and boats.

Fishing boat????????

Are you talking about the USS Cole? That was NOT a fishing boat.

Stay away from those areas? You can't be serious! That's the dumbest thing I have seen today!

As for the small fiberglass boat that blew a hole in the USS Cole and killed 17 Navy sailors and wounded 39...What do you want to call it? The Navy never even suspected it could be our enemy.

Makes us look bad. And vulnerable to civilian shipping attacks. Our enemy already attacked one of our Navy ships with a small fishing boat. It was deadly. A ram with a huge container ship is bad news.
Our warships should stay away from areas like this with hundreds of other ships and boats.

Fishing boat????????

Stay away from those areas? You can't be serious! That's the dumbest thing I have seen today!

As for the small fiberglass boat that blew a hole in the USS Cole and killed 17 Navy sailors and wounded 39...What do you want to call it? The Navy never even suspected it could be our enemy.

It was a rigged-hull inflatable boat. They are not "fishing" boats. You don't usually have fishing boats around harbors with larger ships.

What about your ridiculous comment about staying away from high traffic areas?

Fishing boat????????

It was a rigged-hull inflatable boat. They are not "fishing" boats. You don't usually have fishing boats around harbors with larger ships.

How can a Navy ship possibly stop an attack from multiple ships and boats, large and small, in an area crowded with surface contacts?

Fishing boat????????

How can a Navy ship possibly stop an attack from multiple ships and boats, large and small, in an area crowded with surface contacts?

If there is an attack taking place, it will get "uncrowded" very quickly.

$3.1 Million Contract Awarded to Transport USS Fitzgerald From Japan to Mississippi Shipyard - USNI News

It'll be a long voyage home. Moderator: My apologies for the standalone link in post #46.
That is $3.1 mil. just to transport the ship. Now add the cost of repairs and the cost of damages to the merchant ship. Then add what repairs to the other three Navy vessels which have been similarly damaged will cost us and the need to learn what exactly is responsible for what is going on with our Navy becomes critically necessary.

I've been hearing some very credible speculation that the problem is cyber-hacking of navigation electronics. If that's true it is unfortunate but good that we found out during relative peacetime rather than during combat scenarios.

$3.1 Million Contract Awarded to Transport USS Fitzgerald From Japan to Mississippi Shipyard - USNI News

It'll be a long voyage home. Moderator: My apologies for the standalone link in post #46.
That is $3.1 mil. just to transport the ship. Now add the cost of repairs and the cost of damages to the merchant ship. Then add what repairs to the other three Navy vessels which have been similarly damaged will cost us and the need to learn what exactly is responsible for what is going on with our Navy becomes critically necessary.

I've been hearing some very credible speculation that the problem is cyber-hacking of navigation electronics. If that's true it is unfortunate but good that we found out during relative peacetime rather than during combat scenarios.

Navigation does not cause ships to run into one another. These young sailors are not trained properly like us old salts. They sent us to school, learn the rules of the road, made us sail model boats in a huge tank, and then practice on YP craft.

Navigation does not cause ships to run into one another. These young sailors are not trained properly like us old salts. They sent us to school, learn the rules of the road, made us sail model boats in a huge tank, and then practice on YP craft.
I know nothing about ships (except that I don't like them) or the Navy. I'm an ex-Marine. My understanding is that modern naval vessels are equipped with highly sophisticated radar which is capable of detecting other vessels, including very small ones, at virtually any distance from them.

Consider that some ordinary contemporary automobiles, Subaru, for one, have simple radar (object detector) devices which enable them to sense something in front of them in sufficient time to cause braking before impact. In addition to that I plan to purchase a hobby drone with three-direction object sensors (radar) to prevent it from running into anything (buildings, trees, people -- anything). So I'd like to know how multi-million dollar naval vessels can collide, or be collided with, the way four of ours have experienced within the past few months. If a Subaru car or a DJI hobby drone can electronically avoid or warn against impact, why can't a Navy ship?

There is something extremely troubling about this.

Last edited:
I read that in the old British Navy a sailor was posted on lookout at all times, day and night, and that failure to see something that should have been seen was punishable by hanging from a mast. Also, a sailor on watch aboard the Titanic saw the iceberg that scraped it, thereby preventing a direct frontal impact. So I'm assuming the only reason the collisions involving four of our Naval vessels were not detected by sailors on watch is because sailors on watch have been replaced by electronic equipment capable of detecting nearby objects.

If crowded waters are the primary cause of these collisions why are they not happening to ordinary merchant ships? And why aren't they happening to ships of other navies? Why just ours? These factors reinforce speculations about hacking of electronic navigation equipment.

Last edited:
I read that in the old British Navy a sailor was posted on lookout at all times, day and night, and that failure to see something that should have been seen was punishable by hanging from a mast. Also, a sailor on watch aboard the Titanic saw the iceberg that scraped it, thereby preventing a direct frontal impact. So I'm assuming the only reason the collisions involving four of our Naval vessels were not detected by sailors on watch is because sailors on watch have been replaced by electronic equipment capable of detecting nearby objects.

If crowded waters are the primary cause of these collisions why are they not happening to ordinary merchant ships? And why aren't they happening to ships of other navies? Why just ours? These factors reinforce speculations about hacking of electronic navigation equipment.

What makes you think that watch standers have been replaced?

Ships collide all of the time. Why would that be of significance to say someone living in Montana?

What makes you think that watch standers have been replaced?
I don't know if they've been replaced or not. As mentioned, I don't know anything about ships or the Navy. But if there are sailors posted on watch, in addition to millions of dollars worth of electronics, and four of our Naval vessels are banging around like pinballs, I'd say we'd better think twice before getting into it with North Korea or any other formidable military.

Ships collide all of the time. Why would that be of significance to say someone living in Montana?
Navy ships? U.S. Navy ships collide all the time? I don't think so. I'm just hoping we get some answers without having to write to Congress.

Forum List

Back