Sending Kids to jail for profit

Likely several counts of armed robbery, drug dealing, conspiracy to distribute, possession of stolen property, and you gave up your co-conspirators, there is no honor among theives. Never mind Hollywood.

may be that's what the prison industrial complex wants...

i mean if you release the dangerous ones the public will support more prisons...even though it 's really only needed for the dangerous ones...not the druggies...

i wonder if all this money involved in private prisons could affect sentencing guidelines...

First off, I have worked with the local, state, and federal courts/correctional systems for years, and the concept of a prison industrial complex immediately marks you as a paranoid loon.

In most states, sentencing guidelines are guided by budget shortfalls that are a practical fact of life. While people may go to prison for long terms in the FEDERAL system for drug offenses, they are not, in general, serving long sentences in STATE systems for low-level drug offenses. You understand that this means that there are dozens of separate systems, right? And there are separate sentencing guidelines in every single state system, and a separate federal sentencing guideline that has NOTHING at all to do with the state systems.

Virtually all of the privatization is occuring at the state, county and local levels, where jurisdictions are encountering massive budget shortfalls and are looking at cost-cutting measures to keep violent and repeat offenders off the street. Privatization is cheaper than building new facilities, so that's where the privatization is occurring. States are dealing with these budget shortfalls through privatization in order to keep SERIOUS offenders off the street and out of local jails. In fact, budget shortfalls are so bad in some areas that low-level drug traffickers typically don't spend long enough in local jails to have their fingerprints run by computer to check their identities. They are in and out that quickly, and then, for the most part, don't even show up for court. In our county, we had drug dealers who had been fingerprinted under 30+ separate identities, and never held.

Totally separate systems between the county/city, who run the jails (short-term holding facilities), states, who operate the state perisons, and the feds, who prosecute cases federally through the U.S. Attorney's Offices and use the federal prison system. There is not one cohesive whole system in the U.S., it is a patchwork polyglot of overlapping separately managed systems who answer to different groups of elected and appointed officials.

The federal level doesn't experience these same budget upheavals because the federal budget (and sentencing guidelines) are relatively stable. Furthermore, the sentencing guidelines at the federal level aren't guided by private facilities, because the feds DON'T USE PRIVATE FACILITIES. The sentencing guidelines at the federal level are guided by FEDERAL LAWMAKERS (congress). Furthermore, federal sentencing guidelines are tied to the way cases are prosecuted at the federal level, and that decision is made by U.S. Attorneys who have no connection, whatsoever, to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Totally separate systems with a totally different chain of command.

So, you're mixing several different topics here and confusing all of them. Hope this explanation helps.

Last edited:
thanks cats...

um, gee i wonder if the lobbyist for the prison industrial complex know about the federal/ state system?

gosh i wonder if that would mean they'd have to hire more lobbyists...to ah what help me here...would that mean they'd have to go to multiple capitals?

thanks cats...

um, gee i wonder if the lobbyist for the prison industrial complex know about the federal/ state system?

gosh i wonder if that would mean they'd have to hire more lobbyists...to ah what help me here...would that mean they'd have to go to multiple capitals?

When you say "the prison industrial complex," what companies are you specifically referring to?

I think you're thinking purely mythologically here. In reality, it is a pretty unorganized process.

hey Wachinhutt with it's billion dollar revenues ain't a myth.

now government may be unorganized...

but the business of profits ain't....but if it helps you sleep or sompin...

hey Wachinhutt with it's billion dollar revenues ain't a myth.

now government may be unorganized...

but the business of profits ain't....but if it helps you sleep or sompin...

You mean Wackenhut? What prisons does Wackenhut contract to run? Just curious.

Last edited:
I'm inquiring into connections between WWASP and the juvenile detention system in Utah, the home state of Robert Lichfield, who was previously one of Mitt Romney's state co-chairs.

Well done catz. Look these two judges got the book thrown at them and should have and every Juvie case that went through their courts ought to automatically be under review.

This has nothing to do with whether or not their should be private jails.

You'll find there isn't one.

Here is the info you need: Community Program Locations - Utah Juvenile Justice Services

You can make a single phone call and get the information.

As I suspected I would, I found your claims to be inaccurate.

There are several steps that you need to take to remedy your ignorance. Firstly, you need to realize that any state contract made with privately mental health treatment facilities, teen residential programs, wilderness therapy programs, therapeutic boarding schools, boot camps or any other behavior modification facility constitutes a connection of the nature that I mentioned.

Secondly, you need to realize that privatization concerns are not limited to behavior modification facilities, but are rather connected to all private operators who, in practical terms, are permitted to act with essentially dictatorial impunity despite state promises of regulation.

For PROFIT prisons are an anathema to a democratic society.

They encentivize society to become extremely oppressive because they REWARD injustice operating under the color of the law.

Does it surprise anyone that a pig like CHEYNEY is a big investor in these criminal enterprises?

Putting people in prison should be something that this society eschews and only does for the protection of society from truly evil and dangerous people.

For profit prisons makes putting non violent people in prison a boon to those who own those prisons and, since we now have industries which hire prisoners at slave wages, these prisons are doublely menacing to freedom.

Basically I think that any person who buys into for profit prisons and who supports the concept of making prisoners work as pittance-wage-slaves for corporation is basically telling us that they are fascist motherfuckers.

Last edited:
For PROFIT prisons are an anathema to a democratic society.

They encentivize society to become extremely oppressive because they REWARD injustice operating under the color of the law.

Does it surprise anyone that a pig like CHEYNEY is a big investor in these criminal enterprises?

Putting people in prison should be something that this society eschews and only does for the protection of society from truly evil and dangerous people.

For profit prisons makes putting non violent people in prison a boon to those who own those prisons and, since we now have industries which hire prisoners at slave wages, these prisons are doublely menacing to freedom.

Basically I think that any person who buys into for profit prisons and who supports the concept of making prisoners work as pittance-wage-slaves for corporation is basically telling us that they are fascist motherfuckers.
Well done!!

Why does the US have more prisoners per capita than any other nation?

Guns, poverty, illegal immigrants, drugs, gangs, ... you name it and the US has a major problem with it. While other western countries only have a few of those as major problems.

The other reason is that other nations don't punish everyone the right way because they don't want to build new prisons, prisoners are released earlier because the prisons are full (common practice in Europe) or they get a much weaker punishment by the judge because the judge knows that his punishment would otherwise not be carried out.

To think some scumbag would make profits from the false incarceration of children is just soooo screwed.

People seem to have NO morals anymore.

You would know from experience wouldnt you?

For example, concluding that two bad anomallies is indicative of the entire system. Youd have to be pretty dishonest to reach that conclusion.

This is nothing new, jail is big business. There are 2 million people locked up in america 85% of them black. We are in need of a 2nd look at the law books, and the judges, I think white judges hate black people, and that's why they become judges, so they can sentence blacks to 100 years.

Of course, its the judges fault. Not the actual perpetrator. These judges are all racist. That's why we see a large number of blacks, whites, and hispanics in the prison system but relatively few asians. Its some conspiracy because those white judges love asians.

Or maybe the blacks shouldn't be committing crimes?

but I may be some crazy white guy, what do I know

You know what, we're not going to get into this, we all know the truth. My first statement may have been a little bit hard, its not about black and white, its about justice, and its about peace, and we can't have peace until they cleans up the dirty that has been dropped. Blacks are only 12-14 percent of the population, but we commit more crimes?? Something isn't adding up, marden day slavery. Thats just the way its.

Yeah something is causing the problem. The modern black culture. Its not some huge conspiracy. The breakdown of the family is the problem with the culture. The street culture.

You are honestly going to tell me that all the black judges in the country are just locking up blacks cause they are racist?

Forum List

Back