Sen DeMint (R-SC) to quit in January

Yes, I wish the Senate was full of true libertarians that never sought to increase government in any way, shape or form. It's not reality, so I think about what we have. I see DeMint as far better than the average big government progressive meddlers that dominate in Washington. Not perfect, but comparatively better for at least talking a fiscally responsible game.

I don't see his record as reflecting that at all, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

That's fine. I don't claim to know everything about the man, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he isn't at least a fiscal conservative, which I appreciate.

For what it's worth, where do you fall on the 'ol Nolan Chart?

Just took it. The little star it gave me fell right over the 'n' at the end of the 'libertarian'.

But I'm a realist, first and foremost, and a small 'L' libertarian. One who follows the philosophy of libertarianism.

I left the LP after having voted, twice, for the late, great Harry Browne.

My suspicions were confirmed when they nominated that sack of human crap Bob Barr.

DeMint is a guy that actually believes the Constitution means what is says. He also thinks we should live within our means and not burden future generations with our largess.

Crazy, I know.

If The US Constitution wasn't subject to interpretation, there would be no need for the US Supreme Court.

Meaning it's impossible to 'believe what it says'... one can only believe what he or she thinks it says, or what (insert your preferred talking head here) says it says, and I'm here to tell you, if the USSC says differently, fuck you. Yeah, even if you're a well paid talking head or even a United States Senator.

There's "subject to interpretation" and there's the Progressive model, which is to find anyway possible to skirt the idea of limiting government to enumerated powers. I find the latter a disgusting attempt at central planning, which always ends up bad for the regular guy. But hey, maybe YOUR guy really does know what's best for us all...

Anyway, until the Progressive era, we could argue about interpretation with the same idea of limited government in mind. Now we argue if there is anything the federal government shouldn't do. The result has been eroding freedoms, stifled marets and outrageous debt. You and your progressive buddies on the courts do NOT know what's best for everyone else and your attempts to control from the top have done far more harm than good.

:eusa_eh: Don't tell ME, Dude.

Tell your lawyer to take it to the Supreme Court - all I can offer is MY humble opinion, and I'm so fucking liberal that I want the states to be free to decide for themselves on things like abortion, marriage rights and the buying and selling and taxing of weed.

Y'all are missing the truth. DeMint saw what Dick Armey got for quitting. crapped his britches, then got Heritage on the phone and yelled: "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

Thus began yet another GOP Great American Sell-Out.

Regards from Rosie

If The US Constitution wasn't subject to interpretation, there would be no need for the US Supreme Court.

Meaning it's impossible to 'believe what it says'... one can only believe what he or she thinks it says, or what (insert your preferred talking head here) says it says, and I'm here to tell you, if the USSC says differently, fuck you. Yeah, even if you're a well paid talking head or even a United States Senator.

There's "subject to interpretation" and there's the Progressive model, which is to find anyway possible to skirt the idea of limiting government to enumerated powers. I find the latter a disgusting attempt at central planning, which always ends up bad for the regular guy. But hey, maybe YOUR guy really does know what's best for us all...

Anyway, until the Progressive era, we could argue about interpretation with the same idea of limited government in mind. Now we argue if there is anything the federal government shouldn't do. The result has been eroding freedoms, stifled marets and outrageous debt. You and your progressive buddies on the courts do NOT know what's best for everyone else and your attempts to control from the top have done far more harm than good.

:eusa_eh: Don't tell ME, Dude.

Tell your lawyer to take it to the Supreme Court - all I can offer is MY humble opinion, and I'm so fucking liberal that I want the states to be free to decide for themselves on things like abortion, marriage rights and the buying and selling and taxing of weed.

And I think the states should be free to decide on those things too. How about that.

Now why should the feds be restricted from controlling the items on your list, which do not appear among the enumerated powers, but you're okay (I'm guessing) with plenty of other examples of federal meddling?

I don't see his record as reflecting that at all, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

That's fine. I don't claim to know everything about the man, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he isn't at least a fiscal conservative, which I appreciate.

For what it's worth, where do you fall on the 'ol Nolan Chart?

Just took it. The little star it gave me fell right over the 'n' at the end of the 'libertarian'.

But I'm a realist, first and foremost, and a small 'L' libertarian. One who follows the philosophy of libertarianism.

Me too.

...after having voted, twice, for the late, great Harry Browne.

Me too.

I left the LP to support Ron Paul. Not happy with any party these days, but it is what it is.

It is most entertaining to read the amazing narrow-mindedness of the majority of the replies in this thread. It is a shame that to lose a truly good person in Jim DeMint, a man whose net worth in 2010 was all of $65,000. The man was not on the take, nor did he screw anyone over. He just believed in upholding and honouring our Constitution. Now, take a look at the most corrupt politicians - Pelosi, Feinstein and Reid are the first ones that come to mind, look at their net worth after getting into politics. These 3 amongst the majority of other politicians who have a D or R in front of their name are as corrupt as can be.

Make no mistake about it, Jim DeMint was forced out. Think about it, John "Crybaby", Boehner, a true America-hating marxist in every sense, purged several conservative Republicans. Hmm, not much later Jim DeMint will resign. No coincidence there, right!!! The marxist establishment Republicans, have declared war on anyone who opposes what the Democrat Party, yeah you read that correctly..the Democrat Party proposes. John Boehner is a traitor, he is a born loser, as a matter-of-fact, and every bit as corrupt as Pelosie, Feinstein and Reid. John Boehner and the establishment want business as usual, which is, grabbing their ankles and telling Democrats to start kicking, and the conservatives in the party make that more difficult. I truly believe John Boehner is a Democrat mole inside the Republican party.

As for future elections, being a registered Libertarian, I will NEVER vote Democrat, and I just can't see voting Republican either. Voting Republican is a complete and total waste of a vote, all one is voting for is someone who will look for the quickest way to surrender to the Democrats. 2014 and 2016 I will be voting straight Libertarian, although, if a viable 3rd party comes along and looks to have promise to send the Republicans the way of the Whig party, I will consider that option for voting.

DeMint is a guy that actually believes the Constitution means what is says. He also thinks we should live within our means and not burden future generations with our largess.

Crazy, I know.

DeMint is a guy that actually believes the Constitution means what he thinks it says, but like most conservatives he’s just hearing things.

Otherwise, ‘living within our means’ doesn’t mean balancing the budget on the backs of the elderly, retired, disabled, and working Americans.

I have always been of the opinion that change has to happen from the outside and from the bottom up. The only way to change Washington is at the grass roots. You can't change it from inside the beltway. Perhaps he believes he'll be more effective this way.

I think he probably will be able to have a greater impact outside of congress. I think he is truly concerned about the direction of his country and just wants to find a place where he can make the greatest impact...sad to see him leave the Senate but I understand.

I agree with about 80% of the ideas of the heritage foundation and I think he will be a great spokesperson for them and someone to help them educate the public on the benefits of conservatism and freedom.
I just heard his salary will be of "a greater impact" as well. 1 MILLION was floated. Cashing-in on public service :dunno:
Its no wonder considering the shellacking t-party candidates recieved in the latest election. Wonder how much Heritage will pay "Mr. Standing filibuster" in his new role :eusa_eh:

DeMint will leave Senate to head Heritage Foundation

If I had to deal daily with obstructionists like Obama and Reid who are intent on making every American dependent on gubmint, I'd cut my losses too and go somewhere where I could get some actual good work done.

ummm..... NEWSFLASH, DeMint was basically a walking filibuster.

Last edited:
I have always been of the opinion that change has to happen from the outside and from the bottom up. The only way to change Washington is at the grass roots. You can't change it from inside the beltway. Perhaps he believes he'll be more effective this way.

I think he probably will be able to have a greater impact outside of congress. I think he is truly concerned about the direction of his country and just wants to find a place where he can make the greatest impact...sad to see him leave the Senate but I understand.

I agree with about 80% of the ideas of the heritage foundation and I think he will be a great spokesperson for them and someone to help them educate the public on the benefits of conservatism and freedom.
I just heard his salary will be of "a greater impact" as well. 1 MILLION was floated. Cashing-in on public service :dunno:
Its no wonder considering the shellacking t-party candidates recieved in the latest election. Wonder how much Heritage will pay "Mr. Standing filibuster" in his new role :eusa_eh:

DeMint will leave Senate to head Heritage Foundation

If I had to deal daily with obstructionists like Obama and Reid who are intent on making every American dependent on gubmint, I'd cut my losses too and go somewhere where I could get some actual good work done.

ummm..... NEWSFLASH, DeMint was basically a walking filibuster.

How do you filibuster when the senate majority whip doesn't take up bills to filibuster??????? As normal you are talking out of your ass.

‘living within our means’ doesn’t mean balancing the budget on the backs of the elderly, retired, disabled, and working Americans.

At this rate of spending, we couldn't balance the budget on anyone's back. But hey, it's all about you, so fuck those kids yet to be born. Who needs 'em anyway?

poor guy will have to settle cashing-in for $1.6 MILL at Heritage. Real t-partier you got there Righties :rolleyes:

Looks like he'll prolly move closer to the trough (Wasahington) after cashing-in like cheney did. :)
Jim DeMint's new job promises a much bigger payday - latimes.com
The 61-year-old lawmaker will chuck his $174,000 government salary in favor of a much more lucrative paycheck from Heritage. While the organization did not say how much it would pay DeMint, predecessor Edwin J. Feulner earned total compensation of about $1 million a year, according to the Charity Navigator website.

Looks like he'll prolly move closer to the trough (Wasahington) after cashing-in like cheney did. :)
The 61-year-old lawmaker will chuck his $174,000 government salary in favor of a much more lucrative paycheck from Heritage. While the organization did not say how much it would pay DeMint, predecessor Edwin J. Feulner earned total compensation of about $1 million a year, according to the Charity Navigator website.

But of course! Dickey Armey got $8 million.....so Jimmy needed his big pay day too. Wealth envy indeed.

Pretty good money for a grass roots party that wasn't led by such leaders. If they didn't actually LEAD the Tea Baggers, what were they then? Tea Bag "community organizers"?

Regards from Rosie

Class envy is a cornerstone of liberalism.
Liberalism, in order to survive MUST create demons and villains.
Wealthy people are just one of those many villains.

But of course! Dickey Armey got $8 million.....so Jimmy needed his big pay day too. Wealth envy indeed.

Pretty good money for a grass roots party that wasn't led by such leaders. If they didn't actually LEAD the Tea Baggers, what were they then? Tea Bag "community organizers"?

Regards from Rosie

^^^^^^^^

Seems to have teabagging on her mind. :suck:

Forum List

Back