Self-Immolation

Generally, suicide is grievous non-virtue.

In the case of the Vietnamese monks during the Vietnam War, these were considered self-less acts.

What do you think?
It is neither martyrdom NOR effective. It's a very dumb and painful suicide that really... help me out here... helps what cause again? I've seen the film and when I learned it was done by the monk flambe... I was dumbstruck with how dumb it was.

Oh, and hunger strikes are just as stupid. Let em starve if they want to starve. You want to immolate? Fine. The worst you do is burn down the building you're in, block traffic for a while with your charred corpse and wreck the asphalt where you did it.

About as effective as chicken shit on a pump handle.

I saw that self-immolation when I was a teenager, and it had a huge impact on me.

This is where your "spiritual" side should kick in, what is "right"? Would you want to find your so-called "wife" immolated? Would you want to find anyone you know that way?
If your posts are accurate, you have had a pretty tough time in life. I have discovered that events like those tend to make the person "stronger" in their will to overcome adversity. I have also discovered that life is way easier, if you start everyday saying thank you for what you have instead of worrying about what you don't have. Many times you find, you didn't "need" it anyway.

I have seen a lot of broken bones and wounds, and know how people handled that. I have no desire to wound myself because I know that I am not the most noble of those people. It would be a big disappointment.

It is neither martyrdom NOR effective. It's a very dumb and painful suicide that really... help me out here... helps what cause again? I've seen the film and when I learned it was done by the monk flambe... I was dumbstruck with how dumb it was.

Oh, and hunger strikes are just as stupid. Let em starve if they want to starve. You want to immolate? Fine. The worst you do is burn down the building you're in, block traffic for a while with your charred corpse and wreck the asphalt where you did it.

About as effective as chicken shit on a pump handle.

I saw that self-immolation when I was a teenager, and it had a huge impact on me.

This is where your "spiritual" side should kick in, what is "right"? Would you want to find your so-called "wife" immolated? Would you want to find anyone you know that way?
If your posts are accurate, you have had a pretty tough time in life. I have discovered that events like those tend to make the person "stronger" in their will to overcome adversity. I have also discovered that life is way easier, if you start everyday saying thank you for what you have instead of worrying about what you don't have. Many times you find, you didn't "need" it anyway.

I have seen a lot of broken bones and wounds, and know how people handled that. I have no desire to wound myself because I know that I am not the most noble of those people. It would be a big disappointment.

You don't know anything about me at all.

Most likely bus stations, that's where the truly vulnerable congregate, and those are the ones cults want to rope in...

Cult members are twisted on their own. Cult leaders just herd them into a little cluster and make use of them.

Charles Manson...

I don't know who you are, but comparing my experience to that of the Manson group is absurd.

Marshall Applewhite
L. Ron Hubbard
jesus

My teacher was not like L Ron Hubbard, or Jesus. I have no idea who Marshall Applewhite is.

You folks have no respect for the committment that some make to their religions.

no... i understand that commitment it all to well. Look at suicide bombers and all the virgins they will have in the ever after.

Sorry sky, you "teacher" and life because of him, sounded to me to be a classic version of a cult leader and cult life.

I mock all religions and cults equally so dont get all up in arms that i am mocking yours particularity.

You're a cult follower, it's not absurd at all. Your rantings on this thread prove you're as wacky as they come...I immediately was reminded of the girls who went to prison for butchering Sharon Tate. You've got that loopy quality.

Marshall Applewhite
L. Ron Hubbard
jesus

My teacher was not like L Ron Hubbard, or Jesus. I have no idea who Marshall Applewhite is.

You folks have no respect for the committment that some make to their religions.

did you spend a lot of time in airports?

You know they had a freaking public art exhibit in NYC...they called it the gates. :lol:

Idiots hanging out their laundry in Central park....:eusa_whistle:

You're a cult follower, it's not absurd at all. Your rantings on this thread prove you're as wacky as they come...I immediately was reminded of the girls who went to prison for butchering Sharon Tate. You've got that loopy quality.

not so whacky... she has come to her senses and left. That is the first step. :clap2

:

Last edited:

All religions are cults and have followers.

Whatever. My mistake for talking about something this private with a bunch of people who don't know me, don't know Buddhism and judge harshly. Time to disappear.

You need to develop a thicker skin, and some sense of humor, which is the biggest problem I'm seeing here. People talk shit about my personal beliefs and political alignments all the time, they talk shit about everybody, it's what internet people do.

Once you accept this, e-life will be so much better.

Whatever. My mistake for talking about something this private with a bunch of people who don't know me, don't know Buddhism and judge harshly. Time to disappear.

You need to develop a thicker skin, and some sense of humor, which is the biggest problem I'm seeing here. People talk shit about my personal beliefs and political alignments all the time, they talk shit about everybody, it's what internet people do.

I accept that talking about this topic, on line, in this forum, with a bunch of strangers isn't wise.

I won't be discussing this topic again.

This particular self-immolation was a political act, an act of self-sacrifice, not a suicide.

IN THIS COUNTRY THERE IS FREEDOM OF SPEECH. THERE A VERY FEW "REAL" PERSECUTIONS. THERE IS NO NEED TO FOR A "POLITICAL ACT OF SELF SACRIFICE". You can just say what you want. If people started doing this in this country the politicians would be "thrilled". They could pass laws to remove more freedoms "to save the people that don't know how to care for themselves". The liberals would love it too. They could claim your average person just didn't "know enough" to run their own lives. They could put cameras inside our houses (yes, bedrooms too), and "monitor" us for "signs" of distress. The Obamacare would love it, cause they could force feed their "pills" to people that "showed signs" of "political action", and the pill would "save" time and resources.

In those countries there is NO hope. In this country hope springs (it used to be eternal, but with the 2008 election, a lot of people are now questioning if there is an expiration date on the country). Individuals can be so much more productive by living, than demonstrating what a stain can be made by the lifeless bag of skin. There are foundations for ....., trusts for ....., and all of them bring hope to people that have similar problems. You have told us all how you stand up, well, do it again, and start something meaningful.

One thing that cannot be understood by outsiders is the role of the spiritual teacher in Buddhism.

I understand it, I just happen to think submitting oneself to a master that can't be questioned or refused is sycophantic. It's your life and experience, so quite frankly, fuck that guy.

She has disavowed Buddhism, so I can't quite figure out how this guy holds so much power over her. Priests hold no power over me. I'm not Catholic.

An extended period of time devoted to a particular group, or way of life doesn't just go away once the person leaves. I still have some little mannerisms and ticks left over from Christianity, and I renounced Christ nearly a decade ago.

I accept that talking about this topic, on line, in this forum, with a bunch of strangers isn't wise.

I won't be discussing this topic again.

i can feel the waves of disappointment cresting around the internet

i must chant now

Forum List

Back