Secretary Wants To Redo VA Disability, Present System ‘Not Sustainable’

Yep, I read it. I don't think congress will buy it.

Well probably not, the first article I read about it earlier today says he's pondering. You know I have nothing against a President not serving but I think the Sec of VA, doctor or no doctor, should have served in the military.

I tend to agree, but the waste at the VA needs to be addressed, the protection of dead wood also needs to be addressed. If it takes a civilian administrator to get that done, then so be it. He's come up with some exceptional ideas on making VA medical records systems compatible with the military systems. I know a lot of folks that got screwed because the military lost their paper medical records. I was smart enough to keep my original records and gave the Army copies.

I don't disagree that he should get rid of the dead wood and modify the system, but he should never look at taking one dime away from a disabled vet, unless one is drawing who committed fraud to get his/ awarded.

Being a disabled vet I agree. Civilians have no clue the toll just being in the military can take on the body. It's worse today than it was when I served, I retired in 2000.

I notice in his bio his father and grandfather were in the the military, but one was a doc and one a pharmacist. I don't think the Secretary can understand what he might be doing if he even tries to go through with this. I see he is also a doctor but from his past more of a business man than a doc. I got out in 71 only spent 4 years in. I look back and wished I would have stayed in for 20 or 30 but it is what it is.

That explains a lot about why you are the way you are! Have you seen a doctor? Maybe there is treatment for your liberalism.

If VA Secretary can't get you guys on unemployable disability benefits he's going to get all Vets. Yep, we don't need our compensation we need wellness programs.

Secretary Wants To Redo VA Disability, Present System ‘Not Sustainable’

With all the talk about cutting Individual Unemployability benefits, the new VA secretary may be pushing for an even more radical step to VA disability compensation.

Who knew Shulkin could take the whole system off a cliff, not just benefits for severely disabled, elderly veterans?

“I think that rethinking how we could approach disability is a key topic that’s going to be very important in future years,” Secretary David Shulkin, MD, said. “Our system incentivizes disability, when our system should be incentivizing health and well-being.”

“Our current disability system that is designed from 50, 60 or 70 years ago….. I would suggest it’s not sustainable and it may not be achieving the results of well-being for our veterans,” Shulkin said at Bush Institute event.

“Everybody recognizes we have a responsibility as a country to provide and be able to supplement resources for veterans that were harmed or injured during their time of duty. I don’t think anybody‘s suggesting that we take away our commitment to that,” he said.

According to Military Times:

Shulkin made the comments in response to a question about whether the system should be re-evaluated. Potential new offerings could include wellness programs, rather than simply monthly compensation payments. Disability compensation is a monthly tax-free benefit paid to veterans who are determined to be at least 10 percent disabled because of injuries or diseases that happened during or were aggravated by military service.

VA DISABILITY BUDGET INCREASES
VA budget documents claim beneficiaries who receive disability compensation and pension benefits in 2018 will increase by 180,000 from the previous year. The increase will result in a $1 billion increase in benefits payouts at $87 billion next year.

While any increase in veterans benefits may seem surprising to Chickenhawks who send us off to war while underfunding the Department of Veterans Affairs, any budget increases seem in line with the high-cost impact of traumatic brain injuries and other disabilities from the present wars.

But are these increases unsightly? Do they warrant a dramatic restructuring of VA disability compensation? Or, are these maneuvers a ploy to just downsize veterans?

Source: VA chief: Time to rethink disability system; current setup 'not sustainable'

Apparently he didn't hear Trump on the campaign trail.

Hell he might as well take away Tricare for Life.

The VA already has wellness programs.

Yep, I know. Did you read the entire link? It's not the same idea he floated last month. He basically wants to take the disability compensation away from some vets, no not the unemployable like last month, this is new.

Well probably not, the first article I read about it earlier today says he's pondering. You know I have nothing against a President not serving but I think the Sec of VA, doctor or no doctor, should have served in the military.
Gen Shinseki is proof that service doesn't necessarily make a good bureaucrat.

You don't need to be a veteran to know when something doesn't pass the smell test. I worked in a VA hospital for 3.5 years and saw lots of waste and ill treatment for vets. The kitchen was headed by a GS13. No one knew exactly what he did. When he finally finally retired his position was not even filled.

Hell, the guy has never served in the military but knows what's good for us vets.

Everything you need to know about new VA Secretary David Shulkin

Unless you are a veterinarian, what do you mean "us" vets? Perhaps you have a small veteran in your pocket?

Someone gotta treat those damn horses.

Actually, the military's veterinarians are all in the Army and spend most of their time inspecting food and public health related duties. A vet my daughter worked for was stationed in Italy at a Navy base and spent all of his time checking food products. He took care of the base's animals in his spare time.

Hell, the guy has never served in the military but knows what's good for us vets.

Everything you need to know about new VA Secretary David Shulkin

Unless you are a veterinarian, what do you mean "us" vets? Perhaps you have a small veteran in your pocket?

Someone gotta treat those damn horses.

Actually, the military's veterinarians are all in the Army and spend most of their time inspecting food and public health related duties. A vet my daughter worked for was stationed in Italy at a Navy base and spent all of his time checking food products. He took care of the base's animals in his spare time.

I just feed them the oats man, I know nothing else.

Best to not assume any thing, keep staying informed. protect our vets, leave party politics out, do the right thing.

I tend to agree, but the waste at the VA needs to be addressed, the protection of dead wood also needs to be addressed. If it takes a civilian administrator to get that done, then so be it. He's come up with some exceptional ideas on making VA medical records systems compatible with the military systems. I know a lot of folks that got screwed because the military lost their paper medical records. I was smart enough to keep my original records and gave the Army copies.

I don't disagree that he should get rid of the dead wood and modify the system, but he should never look at taking one dime away from a disabled vet, unless one is drawing who committed fraud to get his/ awarded.

Being a disabled vet I agree. Civilians have no clue the toll just being in the military can take on the body. It's worse today than it was when I served, I retired in 2000.

I notice in his bio his father and grandfather were in the the military, but one was a doc and one a pharmacist. I don't think the Secretary can understand what he might be doing if he even tries to go through with this. I see he is also a doctor but from his past more of a business man than a doc. I got out in 71 only spent 4 years in. I look back and wished I would have stayed in for 20 or 30 but it is what it is.

Like I said, these trial balloons really don't concern me much, I don't think congress will buy it. Get back to me is someone actually puts a bill forward.

Forum List

Back