SeattleTimes fails to mention Columbus Day Holiday

For one thing - the paper could have reported that there was no US mail delivery on Columbus Day.

Lots of people propbably went to great difficulty walking down stairwells etc to check their mail that day.

Papers aren't expected to report general knowledge on a daily basis. We all went to school and know when Columbus Day is.

So whjy dont thesmucks give it a rest reminding us to "fall back????????

Did it 3 times

That doesn't always fall on the same day every year, like Columbus Day!!!

Maybe the Seattle Times didn't want to piss off the the Seattle Scandinavian neighborhood of Ballard?
Many historians believe that Scandinavian Viking landed on America 500 years before Columbus got lost and ended up finding what is now known as America.
If that's the case, the Seattle Times showed great intelligence and a true sense of history versus the fantasy of Columbus discovering America, that is taught to our children.
So I think we should contact our representatives in Washington DC and have them declare one day a year as Viking Day or Scandinavian Day to honor those who stepped on American soil long before Columbus.
Maybe I'll email Obama and he can use an Executive Order to get it done!

Last edited:
Back when I was a kid - CC was considered a HERO
When you and I were a kid a lot of what they taught us about Columbus turned out to not really be true. Here's a few zingers for you to catch you up:

1) He did not discover the American continent anymore than the New Orleans Saints won the first Super Bowl. He wasn't even the first westerner (granted he hit quite a bit further south, but there were already PEOPLE here)

2) He wasn't the first to prove that the Earth was round - not in the theoretical OR experimental sense. Theoretically, most of the rest of the world already knew the world to be round. And experimentally, it was Magellan who proved that it was round by circumnavigation.

In short - its hard to see what exactly Columbus' significance really is anymore than China sending its first man into space was.

Great - Europe finally caught up with the times and figured it could send a man around the globe. It failed miserably, instead, he ran into a continent that none of the ignorant enlightened middle age downtrodden slobs in his part of Europe had ever heard of - and despite there already being people there, he "discovered" it.

Guess what? Last year, my cat got outside for the first time in her life. She "discovered" the entire UNIVERSE. Good for her, but should the rest of us be impressed?

Forum List

Back