Sean Penn: The "Malvinas"

I'm glad you've come to the realization that the ill-advised decision of the Argentinians to start this war was not only stupid but also evil.

There was plenty of stupidity on both sides.

Stupid of the Argies to invade, stupid of Thatcher to start a war over it.

Since when was responding to aggression 'starting a war'? I always thought it meant self-defence.

To see it as 'self defense' requires an intellect over room temperature. Thus, Joey struggles.

Let me give you a hint. Killing hundreds of people over flag-waving bullshit is evil.

Even a lot of sensible Brits realized this at the time.

I'm glad you've come to the realization that the ill-advised decision of the Argentinians to start this war was not only stupid but also evil.

Strange then that the British decided to re-elect Thatcher with an overwhelming majority and the Argentinians decided to boot out their junta. Guess One of the two was a bit more stupid than the other?

Since when was responding to aggression 'starting a war'? I always thought it meant self- defence.

Fighting over Islands they were perfectly willing to give away a few years before...

Please. The British gave away an entire empire, but they decided that these crappy little islands, man, we have totally throw down over these!

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

"Get your bloody hands off my desert"- Roger Waters, the Final Cut.

Most of the world believed it was vitally important to stand up to this kind of naked aggression.

Again, sending a bunch of poor kids off to die over bullshit is evil... not even sure why anyone thinks this is a good idea.

I bet if your son was one of the ones being sent to die, you wouldn't be soooo keen on it.

Since my brothers are among those who have fought for my country... I am well aware of the seriousness of war. Which is why I do not rant about 'being sent to die' like you do.

Britain didn't start that war.... they responded to an invasion.... which they were right to do. Unlike you, some of us believe in fighting for our country.

They were fighting over crappy islands they were happy to give away a few years before. It's not quite the same thing.

You all talk about the Junta was using it as a distraction, but so was Thatcher. He administration of the UK's economy was a fucking disaster in the early 1980's. So she needed a nice distraction, too.

Wouldn't it be nice if the leaders and wealthy had their kids in the firing line... we'd probably have less wars that way.

So, is your claim that Thatcher tricked Argentina into invading the Falklands so that she could send their forces to reclaim them? :lol::lol::lol:

Since when was responding to aggression 'starting a war'? I always thought it meant self- defence.

Fighting over Islands they were perfectly willing to give away a few years before...

Please. The British gave away an entire empire, but they decided that these crappy little islands, man, we have totally throw down over these!

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Most of the world believed it was vitally important to stand up to this kind of naked aggression.

Yep.

The rest of the EU will be more like "Just give the fucking islands back already."

This is how is the UK going to give back these Islands while saving face. They don't want another war because they can't afford it, and they don't have the assets to wage one.

Just as in 1982 the EU will line up solidly behind the UK. And who has more naval assets, Britain or Argentina?

Who had more military assets- Iraq or America... and whose running away with their tails between their legs...

Guy, you seem to miss the point. The Falklands weren't worth a war 30 years ago and they aren't worth one now... especially now that the UK is broke.

And Argentina isn't? Do you have any idea, any idea at all? It's a basket case that defaulted on it's debt a decade ago. Argentina waged a war against the UK with quadruple digit inflation in the 80s. The UK had active military personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan, and you don't think they'd defend their own soil? The EU wouldn't back Britain if British soil was invaded? How clueless are you? Why in God's name would the Falklanders want to join a country that is a basket case when they can remain part of one Britain? Of course, you seem to support economic policies that made Argentina a basket case, so maybe you're the wrong person to ask. But the Falklanders know the answer. The UK has a greater claim to the Falklands than the Argies.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law. Deal.

Again, sending a bunch of poor kids off to die over bullshit is evil... not even sure why anyone thinks this is a good idea.

I bet if your son was one of the ones being sent to die, you wouldn't be soooo keen on it.

Since my brothers are among those who have fought for my country... I am well aware of the seriousness of war. Which is why I do not rant about 'being sent to die' like you do.

Britain didn't start that war.... they responded to an invasion.... which they were right to do. Unlike you, some of us believe in fighting for our country.

They were fighting over crappy islands they were happy to give away a few years before. It's not quite the same thing.

You all talk about the Junta was using it as a distraction, but so was Thatcher. He administration of the UK's economy was a fucking disaster in the early 1980's. So she needed a nice distraction, too.

Wouldn't it be nice if the leaders and wealthy had their kids in the firing line... we'd probably have less wars that way.

It may well have been a welcome distraction from Thatcher's domestic problems, though I can't speak for her, but what you're forgetting is that she didn't spark the distraction. The Argentinians did, and they paid dearly for their folly.

Fuck Penn. Who gives a fuck what Penn thinks.

Whoa there...take it easy on the sage Mr. Penn. It was Sean who took time out of his busy Cannes Film Festival schedule a few years ago to offer the following deep thoughts about Barry. ”I hope that he will understand, if he is the nominee, the degree of disillusionment that will happen if he doesn't become a greater man than he will ever be,” Penn said.

Ah, such wisdom. Failing to become a greater man than he will ever be.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Yep.

Especially against a military junta.

You'd think JoeAmpad would be more aware of a dictatorship that threw his union brothers out of planes into the ocean from 10,000 feet.

Just as in 1982 the EU will line up solidly behind the UK. And who has more naval assets, Britain or Argentina?

Who had more military assets- Iraq or America... and whose running away with their tails between their legs...

Guy, you seem to miss the point. The Falklands weren't worth a war 30 years ago and they aren't worth one now... especially now that the UK is broke.

And Argentina isn't? Do you have any idea, any idea at all? It's a basket case that defaulted on it's debt a decade ago. Argentina waged a war against the UK with quadruple digit inflation in the 80s. The UK had active military personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan, and you don't think they'd defend their own soil? The EU wouldn't back Britain if British soil was invaded? How clueless are you? Why in God's name would the Falklanders want to join a country that is a basket case when they can remain part of one Britain? Of course, you seem to support economic policies that made Argentina a basket case, so maybe you're the wrong person to ask. But the Falklanders know the answer. The UK has a greater claim to the Falklands than the Argies.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law. Deal.

And that possession dates back to the 1600s.... the Argies were there for a very short period (less than a year I think) in the 1800s. As far as I can work out (and, granted, math is not my best subject? 1600s came before 1800s. Ergo, Britain's claim is the greater.

And, you're right... the EU will back Britain over it.

Yep.

You'd think JoeAmpad would be more aware of a dictatorship that threw his union brothers out of planes into the ocean from 10,000 feet.

Clearly, the opinion of some has been Hollywood puke outweighs any reality. What else can one think when someone claims that 'Thatcher started a war'. :lol:

Strange then that the British decided to re-elect Thatcher with an overwhelming majority and the Argentinians decided to boot out their junta. Guess One of the two was a bit more stupid than the other?

NO, they were both stupid. One can only hope our species can survive that kind of stupidity.

Yep.

Most of the world, including the United States, stayed out of it. But being stupid, you didn't realize that.

Ronald Reagan supported that Junta to the hilt. Just like we supported every other noxious scumbag in the world who promised to keep the "commies" out.

Not defending the Junta, I'm defending the principle that fighting a war over ego is kind of stupid. Always.

But a Chickenhawk like you wouldn't understand that. You'll let braver men fight your battles for you.

Most of the world, including the United States, stayed out of it. But being stupid, you didn't realize that.

Ronald Reagan supported that Junta to the hilt. Just like we supported every other noxious scumbag in the world who promised to keep the "commies" out.

Not defending the Junta, I'm defending the principle that fighting a war over ego is kind of stupid. Always.

But a Chickenhawk like you wouldn't understand that. You'll let braver men fight your battles for you.

Did Argentina invade Puerto Rico? How about Guam?

If not, stay on topic or STFU.

NO, they were both stupid. One can only hope our species can survive that kind of stupidity.

Leftists like you hate Margaret Thatcher, that's for sure.

You really are factually challenged.

The US supported Britain in the war over the Falklands and provided actual support.

The Argentine Junta came to power long before Reagan and it was under Reagan's presidency that it was brought down, thanks in part to its ill-considered Falklands adventure.

Did Argentina invade Puerto Rico? How about Guam?

If not, stay on topic or STFU.

I'm being completely on topic. Guam and Puerto Rico have a lot of people on them, so that would be a different issue.

The Falklands only had 1000 people on it. Certainly not worth a war that cost the UK a billion dollars and cost both sides over a thousand lives. You know, for a guy who keeps telling us what a smart businessman he is, you seem to not understand the concept of a "cost benefit" analysis. (Then again, it can explain how your sort wrecked the economy and take no blame for it. It was Joe Homeowner.. Yeah. That's the ticket. Not us manipulating the housing market for a quick buck.)

One of the things we did in the process of winning the Cold War was to prop up or enable people who were worse than the people we were fighting. Bin Laden and Saddam being two of the worst.

The US supported Britain in the war over the Falklands and provided actual support.

The Argentine Junta came to power long before Reagan and it was under Reagan's presidency that it was brought down, thanks in part to its ill-considered Falklands adventure.

Oh, please. The US was neutral in that fight. We could have sent in a couple of carrier groups, but we didn't and the thing probably would have been over without a shot being fired. But we had our agenda, too. Which was not to be seen as the "overbearing gringo" in the region with Jokers like Castro and Ortega around.

The Junta was overthrown because it lost, not because the average Argentinian thought they were wrong. Which is why they now have a Democratically elected government that STILL thinks they should get the Malvinas back.

Oh, please. The US was neutral in that fight. We could have sent in a couple of carrier groups, but we didn't and the thing probably would have been over without a shot being fired. But we had our agenda, too. Which was not to be seen as the "overbearing gringo" in the region with Jokers like Castro and Ortega around.

The Junta was overthrown because it lost, not because the average Argentinian thought they were wrong. Which is why they now have a Democratically elected government that STILL thinks they should get the Malvinas back.

We lent them facilities. True story. We backed Britain. Much as you lefties might wish it to be different, we gave them an assist. They did not need, or ask for, carriers or troops or anything other than logistical support.... which they got.

We lent them facilities. True story. We backed Britain. Much as you lefties might wish it to be different, we gave them an assist. They did not need, or ask for, carriers or troops or anything other than logistical support.... which they got.

Yawn... really, trying to make this fiasco look good is kind of sad.

Killing a thousand people over barren Islands and some sheep.... I honestly hope our species can survive our own stupidity...

Forum List

Back