Sean Penn: The "Malvinas"

Which country is more broke do you think, Britain or Argentina?

As for the US: Reagan said "work it out" in 1982 too, but when the chips were down he backed the UK in word and deed and the same would happen again. Who matters more to the US you think, Britain and the EU or Argentina?

The rest of the EU will be more like "Just give the fucking islands back already."

This is how is the UK going to give back these Islands while saving face. They don't want another war because they can't afford it, and they don't have the assets to wage one.

Back?

Britain's sovereignty dates from 1690, and has remained on the islands permanently since 1833. Argentina briefly established a colony there prior to 1833.... but they left. Argentina claims that the inhabitants are not the aboriginal people and, thus, have no claim on the islands. However, there is documentary evidence that proves that claim to be untrue.

After the 'war' of 1983, Britain gave citizenship to the Islanders.... that guarantees them the protection of Britain.

The French would have a better claim on the islands.... but they don't want them. So, they're gonna stay British.

The Malvinas will eventually be Argentinian because the British can't hold them forever.

I mean, they are having a hard time keeping fucking Scotland in the UK. Much less Islands on the other side of the planet.

Then what are you so upset about if it won't happen.

My attitude is I really don't care one way or the other... except that I think the British were stupid for fighting the war to start with.

It seems to me that you are really pretty anxious to sacrifice someone else's sons for something that ultimately isn't worth it.

Just a little fact to bring you back to this planet: it was Argentina who started a war in 1982, not Britain.

NO, it was the UK that made a war inevitable by not negotiating the return of territory in good faith.

How many people have died all around the world because the British Empire can't admit it's time has come and gone?

Let me give you a hint: lying about facts doesn't change them.

The rest of the EU will be more like "Just give the fucking islands back already."

This is how is the UK going to give back these Islands while saving face. They don't want another war because they can't afford it, and they don't have the assets to wage one.

Back?

Britain's sovereignty dates from 1690, and has remained on the islands permanently since 1833. Argentina briefly established a colony there prior to 1833.... but they left. Argentina claims that the inhabitants are not the aboriginal people and, thus, have no claim on the islands. However, there is documentary evidence that proves that claim to be untrue.

After the 'war' of 1983, Britain gave citizenship to the Islanders.... that guarantees them the protection of Britain.

The French would have a better claim on the islands.... but they don't want them. So, they're gonna stay British.

The Malvinas will eventually be Argentinian because the British can't hold them forever.

I mean, they are having a hard time keeping fucking Scotland in the UK. Much less Islands on the other side of the planet.

The small difference being that the Scots may want to leave the UK (not certain, yet to be demonstrated), while the inhabitants of the Falklands don't.

The only reason why Argentina is whining now is to distract its citizenry from their dire economic situation.

And... yea.... Reagan did back Britain.... and the US will back Britain again if it was needed... but it won't be... because Argentina isn't stupid enough to take on the Brits again.

Then what are you so upset about if it won't happen.

My attitude is I really don't care one way or the other... except that I think the British were stupid for fighting the war to start with.

It seems to me that you are really pretty anxious to sacrifice someone else's sons for something that ultimately isn't worth it.

Ahhhhh, so basically, you're a cowardly lefty who thinks nothing is worth dying for. Thanks for confirming that.

If someone invaded our country.... let's hope there are more people like me, who will come home and fight, than people like you who'll roll out the welcome mat.

Just a little fact to bring you back to this planet: it was Argentina who started a war in 1982, not Britain.

NO, it was the UK that made a war inevitable by not negotiating the return of territory in good faith.

How many people have died all around the world because the British Empire can't admit it's time has come and gone?

I think the only one that thinks Britain has an Empire is Joey.... he struggles with keeping abreast of the changing world. :lol:

Back?

A 'hard time'? No one is forcing Scotland to remain in the UK. It's up to the Scots... just like it was up to the Falklanders.

Idiot.

I think the only one that thinks Britain has an Empire is Joey.... he struggles with keeping abreast of the changing world. :lol:

Once upon a time there was help for factually challenged people. It was called education. Sadly, it's not anymore what it used to be.

Let me give you a hint. Killing hundreds of people over flag-waving bullshit is evil.

Even a lot of sensible Brits realized this at the time.

Again, sending a bunch of poor kids off to die over bullshit is evil... not even sure why anyone thinks this is a good idea.

I bet if your son was one of the ones being sent to die, you wouldn't be soooo keen on it.

The Falklands will not be handed over to Argentina. Vast oil reserves have been discovered within the Falklands' territorial waters. That's why Argentina has renewed their claim to the islands, which, if it ever existed, was permanently invalidated after they failed to take the islands by force. They want our oil. Tough, and there is now a permanent garrison (RAF Mount Pleasant) of roughly 2000 British personnel, along with a flight of Eurofighters who are more than capable of resisting another invasion while the cavalry is mustered back in the UK. The long and short of it is: they aren't setting a foot on the islands; and now that we've struck oil, the U.S and the EU will both want a slice of the action. And who's a more stable trading partner: Argentina or the UK? Discounting my bias, the answer's obvious considering the Argentinian economy is is freefall, just like it was in '82.

It's a shame, actually, because despite their history of Junta leaderships and subsequent friction with us I've always held the Argentinians in high regard. And I'm sure that your average Argentinian on the street doesn't want another war with the UK.

This whole sabre rattling exercise is just a facade to distract from the failures and broken promises made by Argentina's incumbent administration. It'll die down in a year or so, only to flare-up again when the Argentinian government has exhausted its supply of scapegoats.

Let me give you a hint. Killing hundreds of people over flag-waving bullshit is evil.

I'm glad you've come to the realization that the ill-advised decision of the Argentinians to start this war was not only stupid but also evil.

The Falklands will not be handed over to Argentina. Vast oil reserves have been discovered within the Falklands' territorial waters. That's why Argentina has renewed their claim to the islands, which, if it ever existed, was permanently invalidated after they failed to take the islands by force. They want our oil. Tough, and there is now a permanent garrison (RAF Mount Pleasant) of roughly 2000 British personnel, along with a flight of Eurofighters who are more than capable of resisting another invasion while the cavalry is mustered back in the UK. The long and short of it is: they aren't setting a foot on the islands; and now that we've struck oil, the U.S and the EU will both want a slice of the action. And who's a more stable trading partner: Argentina or the UK? Discounting my bias, the answer's obvious considering the Argentinian economy is is freefall, just like it was in '82.

It's a shame, actually, because despite their history of Junta leaderships and subsequent friction with us I've always held the Argentinians in high regard. And I'm sure that your average Argentinian on the street doesn't want another war with the UK.

This whole sabre rattling exercise is just a facade to distract from the failures and broken promises made by Argentina's incumbent administration. It'll die down in a year or so, only to flare-up again when the Argentinian government has exhausted its supply of scapegoats.

Indeed, the whole recent flare-up is an expression or Argentinian weakness. Too bad for them.

Again, sending a bunch of poor kids off to die over bullshit is evil... not even sure why anyone thinks this is a good idea.

I bet if your son was one of the ones being sent to die, you wouldn't be soooo keen on it.

Since my brothers are among those who have fought for my country... I am well aware of the seriousness of war. Which is why I do not rant about 'being sent to die' like you do.

Britain didn't start that war.... they responded to an invasion.... which they were right to do. Unlike you, some of us believe in fighting for our country.

I'm glad you've come to the realization that the ill-advised decision of the Argentinians to start this war was not only stupid but also evil.

There was plenty of stupidity on both sides.

Stupid of the Argies to invade, stupid of Thatcher to start a war over it.

That's why they invaded in 82.... because of the oil reserves out there. This is all just Argentina whining cuz it fucked up by walking away from the islands back in the 1800s... which the Brits did not do. They stayed. Therefore, the islands are theirs.

How did Thatcher 'start' a war? Invading someone else's country is generally considered an act of war. Therefore, the Argentines started it. Britain finished it.

Since my brothers are among those who have fought for my country... I am well aware of the seriousness of war. Which is why I do not rant about 'being sent to die' like you do.

Britain didn't start that war.... they responded to an invasion.... which they were right to do. Unlike you, some of us believe in fighting for our country.

They were fighting over crappy islands they were happy to give away a few years before. It's not quite the same thing.

You all talk about the Junta was using it as a distraction, but so was Thatcher. He administration of the UK's economy was a fucking disaster in the early 1980's. So she needed a nice distraction, too.

Wouldn't it be nice if the leaders and wealthy had their kids in the firing line... we'd probably have less wars that way.

Since when was responding to aggression 'starting a war'? I always thought it meant self-defence.

Since when was responding to aggression 'starting a war'? I always thought it meant self- defence.

Fighting over Islands they were perfectly willing to give away a few years before...

Please. The British gave away an entire empire, but they decided that these crappy little islands, man, we have totally throw down over these!

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

"Get your bloody hands off my desert"- Roger Waters, the Final Cut.

Forum List

Back