Sean Penn: The "Malvinas"

Oh, please. The US was neutral in that fight. We could have sent in a couple of carrier groups, but we didn't and the thing probably would have been over without a shot being fired. But we had our agenda, too. Which was not to be seen as the "overbearing gringo" in the region with Jokers like Castro and Ortega around.

The Junta was overthrown because it lost, not because the average Argentinian thought they were wrong. Which is why they now have a Democratically elected government that STILL thinks they should get the Malvinas back.

We lent them facilities. True story. We backed Britain. Much as you lefties might wish it to be different, we gave them an assist. They did not need, or ask for, carriers or troops or anything other than logistical support.... which they got.

Yawn... really, trying to make this fiasco look good is kind of sad.

Killing a thousand people over barren Islands and some sheep.... I honestly hope our species can survive our own stupidity...

I totally love that you show your ignorance so regularly. It's very funny. It wasn't your conflict, it was theirs. Their land, their decision, their fight.... but the facts don't bother you a jot. You just give your 'new lefty' rant.... :lol::lol: You were dumb as a conservative, and you are equally dumb as a lefty.

We lent them facilities. True story. We backed Britain. Much as you lefties might wish it to be different, we gave them an assist. They did not need, or ask for, carriers or troops or anything other than logistical support.... which they got.

Killing a thousand people over barren Islands and some sheep.... I honestly hope our species can survive our own stupidity...

I totally love that you show your ignorance so regularly. It's very funny. It wasn't your conflict, it was theirs. Their land, their decision, their fight.... but the facts don't bother you a jot. You just give your 'new lefty' rant.... :lol::lol: You were dumb as a conservative, and you are equally dumb as a lefty.

It bothers me that people fought a war over things that just weren't worth it.

It wasn't like the UK handing over Hong Kong and millions of people to China, it was some barren islands they had to fight a war over. This is what I find wrong. It simply wasn't worth a war. If they want the fucking' Malvinas, give them to them. Pay a stipend to relocate the 1000 sheep herders.

But it's easy to beat your chest and be all brave when you don't have any skin in the game, isnt' it?

Most of the world, including the United States, stayed out of it. But being stupid, you didn't realize that.

Ronald Reagan supported that Junta to the hilt. Just like we supported every other noxious scumbag in the world who promised to keep the "commies" out.

Not defending the Junta, I'm defending the principle that fighting a war over ego is kind of stupid. Always.

But a Chickenhawk like you wouldn't understand that. You'll let braver men fight your battles for you.

Did Argentina invade Puerto Rico? How about Guam?

If not, stay on topic or STFU.

I'm being completely on topic. Guam and Puerto Rico have a lot of people on them, so that would be a different issue.

The Falklands only had 1000 people on it. Certainly not worth a war that cost the UK a billion dollars and cost both sides over a thousand lives. You know, for a guy who keeps telling us what a smart businessman he is, you seem to not understand the concept of a "cost benefit" analysis. (Then again, it can explain how your sort wrecked the economy and take no blame for it. It was Joe Homeowner.. Yeah. That's the ticket. Not us manipulating the housing market for a quick buck.)

One of the things we did in the process of winning the Cold War was to prop up or enable people who were worse than the people we were fighting. Bin Laden and Saddam being two of the worst.

Nice rationalization. Well, it's good to know that you think that 1000 Americans aren't worth the hassle. I could imagine what you would have said had the USSR invaded the outermost islands in the Aleutians. "It's just a couple hundred Eskimos. What good are those islands anyways? Plus, Russia has a much greater claim on them anyways. Its not worth it."

Outstanding.

:thup:

Nice rationalization. Well, it's good to know that you think that 1000 Americans aren't worth the hassle. I could imagine what you would have said had the USSR invaded the outermost islands in the Aleutians. "It's just a couple hundred Eskimos. What good are those islands anyways? Plus, Russia has a much greater claim on them anyways. Its not worth it."

Outstanding.

Hey, guy, which one of us has a DD214?

Oh, wait, do you even know what a DD214 is?

Here's teh problem with your retarded comparison.

The UK was already in negotiations to GIVE the Malvinas to Argentina.

And, yes, I would be against a war with the consequences of thousands of lives if we already agreed in PRINCIPLE to turn the islands over.

Last edited:
Oh, please. The US was neutral in that fight. We could have sent in a couple of carrier groups, but we didn't and the thing probably would have been over without a shot being fired. But we had our agenda, too. Which was not to be seen as the "overbearing gringo" in the region with Jokers like Castro and Ortega around.

The Junta was overthrown because it lost, not because the average Argentinian thought they were wrong. Which is why they now have a Democratically elected government that STILL thinks they should get the Malvinas back.

I guess you yawn everytime somebody points out your ignorance and that you got your facts wrong again.

Outstanding.

And, yes, I would be against a war with the consequences of thousands of lives if we already agreed in PRINCIPLE to turn the islands over.

When exactly did the UK agree to hand over the Falklands to Argentina? Why do you have to keep lying about that? It really is pretty pathetic.

Deflection King! The US was not neutral, uby. And who gives a shit if the democratic government in Argentina thinks the Falklands are theirs? The Falklands are a part of Britain. The Falkanders want nothing to do with Argentina. A brutal junta invaded to deflect (like you do) domestic criticism. Good to know that that is with whom you side.

I guess you yawn everytime somebody points out your ignorance and that you got your facts wrong again.

No, I yawn when people try to defend stupidity.

I'm not a pacifist. I served for 11 years in the US Army, and would have had no compunctions about fighting for my country.

BUt I am offended by wars fought for purely stupid reasons, and the politicians who start them.

A very wise man compared the Falklands war to "Two Bald Men fighting over a comb". And somehow, if your so was one of people who died in that war, you wouldn't consider it worth it.

Deflection King! The US was not neutral, uby. And who gives a shit if the democratic government in Argentina thinks the Falklands are theirs? The Falklands are a part of Britain. The Falkanders want nothing to do with Argentina. A brutal junta invaded to deflect (like you do) domestic criticism. Good to know that that is with whom you side.

Again, the UK was negotiating to turn those Islands over, it's just Argentina wouldn't come up with the money. So please don't make it some bold thing about protecting their citizens. The world is covered with people who were left behind by the British Empire when the local folks took back what was theirs.

The US did not declare war, because both countries were allies. We turned a blind eye when a wealthy country beat up a poor one, and I guess that's something to be proud of, in your world.

I just see it as kind of stupid. But unlike you, I've actually worn a uniform.

Again, the UK was negotiating to turn those Islands over, it's just Argentina wouldn't come up with the money. So please don't make it some bold thing about protecting their citizens. The world is covered with people who were left behind by the British Empire when the local folks took back what was theirs.

The US did not declare war, because both countries were allies. We turned a blind eye when a wealthy country beat up a poor one, and I guess that's something to be proud of, in your world.

The US did not "turn a blind eye" but actively supported Britain in its military campaign.

Facts clearly don't matter to you.

So you've worn a uniform. But I see it hasn't damaged your capacity for showing a complete disregard for the facts. Then again, lots of people have worn a uniform and they range from brilliant to utterly stupid and deranged.

Invading another country's territory is an act of war. Britain did exactly what the US would have done in similar circumstances... it defended its territory.... and its people.

Janitor is not a 'uniform'.

Outstanding.

Thank you for your service but that gives you zero moral authority over geopolitics.

How clueless are you? I'm in negotiations to buy your car and then I pull out a gun and steal it from you with your kids inside does not give me the right to keep your car and your kids.

(After all, I need a few more kids because I'm a brutal dictator have already killed a couple thousand of my own kids, so I need a few more. Those kids were leftist union organizers, so who cares, right?)

Well, because you've worn a uniform, I guess the British military is overwhelming in agreement with you, right? Right?

We have a few active members of the British military here on USMB. We should ask them.

Outstanding.

Thank you for your service but that gives you zero moral authority over geopolitics.

How clueless are you? I'm in negotiations to buy your car and then I pull out a gun and steal it from you with your kids inside does not give me the right to keep your car and your kids.

(After all, I need a few more kids because I'm a brutal dictator have already killed a couple thousand of my own kids, so I need a few more. Those kids were leftist union organizers, so who cares, right?)

And that about sums it up.

I find it very odd that Americans think they can dictate to the rest of the world about what is and is not worth fighting for.

Argentina took a gamble... they thought the Brits would walk away. They were wrong. Britain has never walked away from a fight... I really don't think they ever will. They're a bunch of hard asses when you piss them off. :lol:

Well, because you've worn a uniform, I guess the British military is overwhelming in agreement with you, right? Right?

We have a few active members of the British military here on USMB. We should ask them.

If I remember rightly, one of our Brit members actually fought in the Falklands. I wonder if he thinks it was 'pointless'. I bet he doesn't. With luck, he'll show up and tell us how the Brit Military view it.

Janitor is not a 'uniform'.

Don't insult janitors by associating them with factually challenged people.

My family is full of janitors. I'm deeply offended to have them associated with JoeAmpad. None of them are bigots!

Good points from both you and Artie. I withdraw the comment - Janitors provide an essential and thankless role in society.... I doubt JoeyB could handle the responsibility.

Ooookay, because it was totally worth killing 1000 people over islands they were willing to give away.

Another Chickenhawk heard from.

The people of those islands think they're worth fighting and dying for. Perhaps they have more courage than you.

Britain didn't force Argentina to invade, the Argies chose to do that... mainly to deflect from their horrible internal issues at that time... the invasion was more about the Argie Government trying to distract its own citizens from their clusterfuck than it was over any real claim.

They have no claim on the Falklands.... those islands are British territory... the islanders choose to remain British and Britain has pledged to protect that.

Of course, if you don't give a shit about others, then 1000 people is too high a price. And.... it was 255 on the British side..... those are the only deaths that count. Argentina invaded so those 649 deaths are their responsibility.

Actually, Argentina has as good a claim to those Islands as the UK has.

And one more time, the UK was negotiating to turn them over WHEN Argentina just got tired of waiting and invaded. But because 1000 sheepherders who lived their didn't want to leave, hey, let's have a war, let's kill a thousand people.

Frankly, you look at any screwed up part of the world, usually the British Empire had its fingers all over it.

Chickenhawks.gif

No. The UK was NOT negotiating to turn them over to Argentina! Both parties were responding to a UN resolution to conduct negotiations to find a peaceful solution to the issue of sovereignty. No common ground was ever found even after seventeen years of on/off talks and to this day, the UK position is that the Islands remain British for as long as the islanders consider themselves British.

As for the rest of your rhetoric...people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, mate.

Forum List

Back