Sea Fever and the Ocean's Colorful Creatures

Little Skate, Leucoraja
Leucoraja_erinacea.jpg

Is there a new species of whale still living? In 1955, some of these creatures stranded themselves on New Zealand's coast. Some were recently spotted just south of Chile's southernmost point: New orca species discovered? Scientists spot mysterious killer whales

Scientists have spotted what may be a new species of killer whale off the southern tip of Chile.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) says that the orcas, known as Type D, have long been shrouded in mystery. The orcas, NOAA explains, in a statement, “were previously known only from a beach stranding more than 60 years ago, fishermen’s stories, and tourist photographs.”

My friend gallantwarrior is in Okinawa and shared some pictures in the Lounge of sea stuff >>> USMB Coffee Shop IV <<<

I found some more Okinawa sea life on bing search, plus they have an aquarium there, too.​

th
th
th
th
th
th

th
upload_2019-3-14_21-0-17.jpeg
th

Last edited:
The last time I was here, I kept running into these odd whale creatures with a sword on their nose. I ran into another this morning at National Geographic called the Narwhal. Here's a few of them swimming around somewhere near Canada: OOps! I guess I'll have to leave National Geographic's image, I thought they said I could share it. Oh, well here it is:

Attachments

• Narwhal group.jpg
    Narwhal group.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Narwhale1.jpg
    Narwhale1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Found at youtube:

Loved this description from Wikipedia: Narwhal - Wikipedia

The narwhal (Monodon monoceros), or narwhale, is a medium-sized toothed whale that possesses a large "tusk" from a protruding canine tooth. It lives year-round in the Arctic waters around Greenland, Canada, and Russia. It is one of two living species of whale in the Monodontidae family, along with the beluga whale. The narwhal males are distinguished by a long, straight, helical tusk, which is an elongated upper left canine. The narwhal was one of many species described by Carl Linnaeus in his publication Systema Naturae in 1758.

Like the beluga, narwhals are medium-sized whales. For both sexes, excluding the male's tusk, the total body size can range from 3.95 to 5.5 m (13 to 18 ft); the males are slightly larger than the females. The average weight of an adult narwhal is 800 to 1,600 kg (1,760 to 3,530 lb). At around 11 to 13 years old, the males become sexually mature; females become sexually mature at about 5 to 8 years old. Narwhals do not have a dorsal fin, and their neck vertebrae are jointed like those of most other mammals, not fused as in dolphins and most whales.

Found primarily in Canadian Arctic and Greenlandic and Russian waters, the narwhal is a uniquely specialized Arctic predator. In winter, it feeds on benthic prey, mostly flatfish, under dense pack ice. During the summer, narwhals eat mostly Arctic cod and Greenland halibut, with other fish such as polar cod making up the remainder of their diet.[3] Each year, they migrate from bays into the ocean as summer comes. In the winter, the male narwhals occasionally dive up to 1,500 m (4,920 ft) in depth, with dives lasting up to 25 minutes. Narwhals, like most toothed whales, communicate with "clicks", "whistles", and "knocks".

Narwhals can live up to 50 years. They are often killed by suffocation when the sea ice freezes over. Other causes of death, specifically among young whales, are starvation and predation by orcas. As previous estimates of the world narwhal population were below 50,000, narwhals are categorized by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) as Nearly Threatened. More recent estimates list higher populations (upwards of 170,000), thus lowering the status to Least Concern.[4] Narwhals have been harvested for hundreds of years by Inuit people in northern
Canada and Greenland for meat and ivory, and a regulated subsistence hunt continues.

Cultural depictions
In legend

The head of a lance made from a Narwhal tusk with a meteorite iron blade
In Inuit legend, the narwhal's tusk was created when a woman with a harpoon rope tied around her waist was dragged into the ocean after the harpoon had struck a large narwhal. She was transformed into a narwhal, and her hair, which she was wearing in a twisted knot, became the characteristic spiral narwhal tusk.[53]

Some medieval Europeans believed narwhal tusks to be the horns from the legendary unicorn.[54][55] As these horns were considered to have magic powers, such as neutralising poison and curing melancholia, Vikings and other northern traders were able to sell them for many times their weight in gold.[56] The tusks were used to make cups that were thought to negate any poison that may have been slipped into the drink. In 1555, Olaus Magnus published a drawing of a fish-like creature with a horn on its forehead, correctly identifying it as a "Narwal".[54] During the 16th century, Queen Elizabeth I received a carved and bejewelled narwhal tusk worth 10,000 pounds sterling—the cost of a castle (approximately £1.5–2.5 million in 2007, using the retail price index[56])–from Sir Humphrey Gilbert, who proposed the tusk was from a "sea-unicorne". The tusks were staples of the cabinet of curiosities.[54] European knowledge of the tusk's origin developed gradually during the Age of Exploration, as explorers and naturalists began to visit Arctic regions themselves.

In literature and art

Image of narwhal from Brehms Tierleben (1864–1869)
The narwhal was one of two possible explanations of the giant sea phenomenon written by Jules Verne in his 1870 novel Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. Verne thought that it would be unlikely that there was such a gigantic narwhal in existence. The size of the narwhal, or "unicorn of the sea", as found by Verne, would have been 18.3 m (60 ft). For the narwhal to have caused the phenomenon, Verne stated that its size and strength would have to increase by five or ten times.[57]

Herman Melville wrote a section on the narwhal (written as "narwhale") in his 1851 novel Moby-Dick, in which he claims a narwhal tusk hung for "a long period" in Windsor Castle after Sir Martin Frobisher had given it to Queen Elizabeth. Another claim he made was that the Danish kings made their thrones from narwhal tusks.[58]

The narwhal is largely mentioned in the book Lore of the Unicorn. In the book, the author Odell Shepard describes the earlier interpretations of the narwhal, from being a fish with a horn in its forehead, to a sea-unicorn. Shepard tells that from the Danish and Dutch, the world was told of the importance of both narwhals and their tusks, and how they had lived for at least 200 years until being discovered by the explorers. Later, after the narwhal had been identified, two tusks were presented to the King of Denmark. One of these tusks was apparently 10 ft (3.0 m) long and was then transported to a region then known as Nova Zembla.[54]

More about the Phylum, Class, Mapped location, etc. at the link above. (First Line)​

Last edited:
Narwhal Videos

I can't tell you how good this is about the whys and wherefores of Narwhals,
but I'm warning you, it is about 70 minutes long, so if you're at work, send it to your home computer or go to youtube and search for "Narwhals" Look for the one that takes over an hour. The first 4-5 minutes are introductory, but interesting nonetheless. So you'll know.

Last edited:
Narwhals: informative, about three minutes:

This one shows Narwhals using their tusks for feeding, 2+ minutes:

Tracking Narwhals. Best part at end, climate has repaired itself since this video made in 2012.

Ever been enchanted by John Masefield's words?

Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
My uncle served in the Navy in WWII, and when he got home, he had aquariums all over his house full of the most beautiful, colorful fish that were completely delightful to me. I'm hoping other people have the love for these colorful creatures and will share their experiences and particular admiration for what caught their eye.

th
View attachment 238023
th

th
th
th
th
th
th
th

All things bright and beautiful in the sea. Please add all your favorite things about the sea, won't you?

When I was growing up, my mother had a book of poems that we took turns reading from on a regular basis. We got to read the ones we liked. Sea Fever was a favorite. I have lovely memories of my young and beautirul mother standing and reading it to us, and also memories of my older sister, when she was a girl, reading it. Mom is 84 and my sister is 64 now.

Ever been enchanted by John Masefield's words?

Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
My uncle served in the Navy in WWII, and when he got home, he had aquariums all over his house full of the most beautiful, colorful fish that were completely delightful to me. I'm hoping other people have the love for these colorful creatures and will share their experiences and particular admiration for what caught their eye.

th
View attachment 238023
th

th
th
th
th
th
th
th

All things bright and beautiful in the sea. Please add all your favorite things about the sea, won't you?

When I was growing up, my mother had a book of poems that we took turns reading from on a regular basis. We got to read the ones we liked. Sea Fever was a favorite. I have lovely memories of my young and beautirul mother standing and reading it to us, and also memories of my older sister, when she was a girl, reading it. Mom is 84 and my sister is 64 now.

How wonderful that you all have memories of poetry reading by your mother. My mother read bedtime stories to my brother and I for years, including the year we lived in Alaska when I was 8 years old. It would take a few nights to get through some of the stories. Nights came early in winter months. Lovely times together. Lovely times.:huddle:

I'm rating this video as very intense, possibly not suitable for children. It's long, almost an hour:
Killer Whale Attack on California Gray Whale:

Last edited:
Loaded "Most beautiful creature in the seas" and this was the verdict of Bing:

th
th
th
th

th
th
th

th
th