Sea Fever and the Ocean's Colorful Creatures

Strange Never-Before-Seen Sea Creatures Discovered 20,000 Feet Under The Sea

These alien-looking creatures were discovered by America’s Ocean Exploration Team on the seafloor near Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. The Puerto Rico Trench is deepest trench in the Atlantic Ocean, reaching depths of up to 8,800 m and extending for over 800 km.

“It’s pretty amazing that we haven’t been there yet, exploring really deep depths,” Andrea Quattrini, the science co-lead for the expedition, told Quartz. 95 percent of the ocean remains unexplored.

Many of the these deep-sea dwelling animals are rarely seen, and some creatures were so new that they don’t even have a name. 100 species of fish, 50 species of deep-water corals, and hundreds of other invertebrates were recorded over 12 dives.
strange-never-before-seen-sea-creatures-discovered-20000-feet-under-the-sea-31309.gif

deep-sea-creatures-new-species-okeanos-explorer-4.jpg

deep-sea-creatures-new-species-okeanos-explorer-6.gif

These alien-looking creatures were discovered by America’s Ocean Exploration Team on the seafloor near Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. The Puerto Rico Trench is deepest trench in the Atlantic Ocean, reaching depths of up to 8,800 m and extending for over 800 km.

“It’s pretty amazing that we haven’t been there yet, exploring really deep depths,” Andrea Quattrini, the science co-lead for the expedition, told Quartz. 95 percent of the ocean remains unexplored.

Many of the these deep-sea dwelling animals are rarely seen, and some creatures were so new that they don’t even have a name. 100 species of fish, 50 species of deep-water corals, and hundreds of other invertebrates were recorded over 12 dives.
strange-never-before-seen-sea-creatures-discovered-20000-feet-under-the-sea-31309.gif

Those top 2 look like extreme sport octopi, they are both using parachutes.

Those top 2 look like extreme sport octopi, they are both using parachutes.
Toward the end of this video, the oceanographer calls the weird little web-footed octopus the "Casper" because his was white and reminded the scientists who discovered it "Casper" the Ghost. Also has some other organisms. Sorry I didn't have a link to the above. Here: Strange Never-Before-Seen Sea Creatures Discovered 20,000 Feet Under The Sea. The site was extremely slow due to who knows why...
Anyway, here's the video with the "Casper" somewhat toward the end:

Glowing Deep Sea Creatures - just for fun, a trove more of them on Bing! dot com:

th
th
th

th
th
th

th
th
th

To the beauty, joy and diversity of God's beautiful nature! Clink!!

This thread is Mermaid Approved.

:)

Amarillo? That used to be our place between Casper Wyoming and Houston, TX where we'd spend the night as our half-way point, for 35 years! Nice town, but a lot bigger the last time I was there than in 1970! Seems the growth there was exponential. I have to hear your funny story about why they call you Squid. I'm all ears! :)
th

Amarillo? That used to be our place between Casper Wyoming and Houston, TX where we'd spend the night as our half-way point, for 35 years! Nice town, but a lot bigger the last time I was there than in 1970! Seems the growth there was exponential. I have to hear your funny story about why they call you Squid. I'm all ears! :)
th

This thread is Mermaid Approved.

:)

It's also Squid approved. (My nickname around here in Amarillo is Squid, because of being in the Navy. Funny story about it if you're interested).

Do tell!!!!!

Well, since you guys asked nicely...................

When I first got to Amarillo, I came here to be the LPO and Head Classifier for the Navy at Amarillo MEPS. I also rode a motorcycle and hung around biker bars.

Well, there was one bar here in Amarillo called Boondocks, and it was a serious biker bar. I started hanging around, and after a month or so, the owner asked me if I'd like a job as a bar back a few nights a week. I said sure, because the extra cash would be welcome and started there as a bar back, eventually being promoted to bar tender/manager.

Everyone knew that I was an active duty Sailor, and one night they started to have fun at my expense, because someone said that all Sailors were seamen, and then someone else shouted out "Hey Sperm ya seaman (although, their intent was to say "semen"), bring me a beer".

After the second or third person called me Sperm, I politely stood in the middle of the bar and told them that all Sailors were actually called Squids, and the next asshole that called me Sperm was gonna get a beer bottle upside the head.

From that night on, they have called me Squid.

That's a great guy story, ABikerSailor! Thanks for sharing. I'd sing you this song myself if I didn't have double pneumonia right now...

Firefly squid
upload_2019-7-3_17-58-7.jpeg

Humboldt Squid - Supergenius of the sea
images

School of squids
image-20160524-25218-2z2w2b.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-3_17-54-30.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-3_17-54-30.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Didn't you mean Humboldt Squid instead of Humble Squid?

I've known many Squids over the years, and there were very few humble ones. Why? Sailors are magical creatures, we can walk and live on water.

I've known many Squids over the years, and there were very few humble ones. Why? Sailors are magical creatures, we can walk and live on water.
I was just cut and pasting... Thanks for the correction, though. I'm on it.

Edit: fixed twice. :D
While I'm back, is it "school of squids" or "school of squid"?

I was just cut and pasting... Thanks for the correction, though. I'm on it.

Edit: fixed twice. :D
While I'm back, is it "school of squids" or "school of squid"?

I think "squid" can be used in both the single and plural.

It's also Squid approved. (My nickname around here in Amarillo is Squid, because of being in the Navy. Funny story about it if you're interested).

Squids and Airedales.

I was an Airedale myself.
shopping
Welcome aboard, Mr Clean. Airedale? Is that for Aviation? My bro was the Master Chief PO airplane mechanic on the Midway for years. Some captain liked him and kept him on for nearly 10 years for some reason. Oh, yeah. He graduated in the bottom 100% of his class in HS, but he was a mechanical genius. :lmao: My big bro, God rest his soul. The sea was his home for 20 years.

Airdale = Naval aviation.
Surface Sailor = regular Navy
Bubblehead = submarine Navy

But, if you are a bubblehead, you believe there are 2 kinds of ships, subs and targets.

Squids and Airedales.

I was an Airedale myself.
shopping
Welcome aboard, Mr Clean. Airedale? Is that for Aviation? My bro was the Master Chief PO airplane mechanic on the Midway for years. Some captain liked him and kept him on for nearly 10 years for some reason. Oh, yeah. He graduated in the bottom 100% of his class in HS, but he was a mechanical genius. :lmao: My big bro, God rest his soul. The sea was his home for 20 years.

Actually, that rank patch is for an Aviation Botswain's Mate First Class. (Sorry, was a Personnelman for over 20 years, and knowing about personnel and pay was my bread and butter).

Master Chief Petty Officer rank patches have a rocker over the top chevron, and a star on either side of the eagle.

New Topics

Forum List

Back