Zone1 Scriptures that say we are judged by our DEEDS

It is true that if a person thinks "I am going to do this good deed or that one and that will get me into God's Kingdom"--that person is lying to himself.

However, good deeds are necessary. This whole faith versus deeds thing is addressed in the book of James and elsewhere.

And many times in the Bible it says we are judged by our deeds. In James 2:12 it speaks of having faith but not works

It says Faith without works is dead
Yes, if you are saved your good works will be rewarded. However, good works don't keep you saved.

My point is your good works cannot save you or keep you saved. It's by faith.
Actually all the faith in the world will not save you without the grace of Jesus Christ. Faith and good works are only required of us before Jesus Christ will save us with his grace. A true faith includes good works.

Actually all the faith in the world will not save you without the grace of Jesus Christ. Faith and good works are only required of us before Jesus Christ will save us with his grace. A true faith includes good works.
Your good works are only recognized after you are IN Christ. You are IN Christ with salvation.

Yes, if you are saved your good works will be rewarded. However, good works don't keep you saved.
not per se

But one time when I was feeling.. I guess u could say the evil one was discouraging me or whatever. But I was feeling like maybe I was not too pleasing to God or what have you.. I don't recall the details, just a bad day or what have you. And then I thought of some good things I had done to share Christ with others (or something related to that.. ) and, well, I had this feeling that ... Put it this way: the feeling of being displeasing to God went away. I don't know if that means anything to anyone but me but it was a special moment.

Your good works are only recognized after you are IN Christ. You are IN Christ with salvation.
Matthew 7:21
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

According to this verse you need to do the will of our Father in heaven before you shall enter the kingdom of heaven. Thus it appears that good works are required before one is saved into the kingdom of heaven. Good works, as a part of faith, are required before you are saved.

If all the good works in the world don't / won't save you

Then why would all the FAITH in the world save you?

We are saved by GRACE, not faith. And grace is obtained in a plethora of ways... reading Scripture, going to Holy Mass.. and good (according to Jesus) works

We are saved by GRACE, not faith. And grace is obtained in a plethora of ways... reading Scripture, going to Holy Mass.. and good (according to Jesus) works
You are right! Faith and works are not the force behind salvation. They are only required of us before we receive GRACE, which is the true saving force.

Matthew 7:21
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

According to this verse you need to do the will of our Father in heaven before you shall enter the kingdom of heaven. Thus it appears that good works are required before one is saved into the kingdom of heaven. Good works, as a part of faith, are required before you are saved.
What about John 6:29.

We are saved by grace through faith. Ephesians.

. Good works, as a part of faith, are required before you are saved.
well, I don't know about that last thing.. (I agree w/ everything else)

But I guess it is true if you look at it this way: The good work of CHOOSING to accept Christ

is indeed required to be saved

What about John 6:29.
John 6:29
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

One who truly believes (or has faith) will do the good works. Good works are a part of a true belief!

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

I think you are right. There are almost no "thought" sins. You can "covet" and you can blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but otherwise, actions count; you can't control your thoughts.
You haven't thought this through.
Your "Lord"/YHVH says if you even lust after another woman you've already committed adultery. He says if you hate your brother You've murdered.

This is what He meant when he said He came to "fullfil" the Law, TO MAKE FULL.

You are right! Faith and works are not the force behind salvation. They are only required of us before we receive GRACE, which is the true saving force.
and grace even takes work. You will absolutely lose grace if you do not

1) pray often
2) be charitable toward others
3) read scripture
4) attend Mass

Now, I know non Catholics aren't going to accept #4 but in any case, I know what works for me. I slip away from Jesus if I don't do all those things. The world is a great influence over us, subconsciously, and can get us believing all kinds of things Jesus does not want us believing...

so yes, we have to hang onto grace, and that is done by: rejecting the world, if only for a time. Jesus said to his `12: Come away for awhile to a quiet place

and etc

John 6:29
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

One who truly believes (or has faith) will do the good works. Good works are a part of a true belief!

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
James is the usual Scriptures to justify works as needed for salvation. James can't be speaking about salvation of your soul because it would contradict John, Romans and Ephesians. Scripture can't cancel out other Scriptures.

James is the usual Scriptures to justify works as needed for salvation. James can't be speaking about salvation of your soul because it would contradict John, Romans and Ephesians. Scripture can't cancel out other Scriptures.
There is no contradiction, only people who don't know how to interpret Scripture. It does NOT interpret itself. Only living beings can interpret... anything

Jesus says that if we love him we will do what he says

he says to care for the needy. I sometimes don't feel like giving any money to the homeless street beggers, but usually, I do it anyway because I don't have a clue whether they are using the money for .. whatever and somewhere in the Word it says to give to those who ask. I am not wealthy so cannot give much, but in any case, the point is that if I just shrug these people off... it's like it says in James... If you say to some poor person, Go, be warm, be fed but don't do anything...

well

I'll let Jesus speak on this

Matthew 25:31-46

I think if you only remember one scripture psg, that should be it

It is through faith that we can attain the necessary grace unto salvation. James teaches us that faith, without works, is dead. So in order to have a true faith, one must do good works. To enter the kingdom of heaven, one must do the will of our Father in heaven. A true belief is a true faith. The scriptures are not cancelling out other scriptures. When the scriptures speak of belief, they are referring to one's faith, and a true faith includes doing good works. A true belief includes good works and a belief without good works is dead. The scriptures all tie together if reading them properly.

There are too many to list here, but for one, there is John 5:25

25Amen, amen, I say unto you, that the hour cometh, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 26For as the Father hath life in himself, so he hath given to the Son also to have life in himself. 27And he hath given him power to do judgment, because he is the Son of man. 28Wonder not at this: for the hour cometh wherein all that are in the graves shall hear the voice of the Son of God. 29And they that have done good things shall come forth unto the resurrection of life: but they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.

Me

Then there is also Mt 25:31-46

Hmmm

It looks to me like maybe BibleHub is trying to pull a fast one here, because my personal Douay Rheims Bible uses not the words "resurrection of judgment" but "resurrection of condemnation"

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like the same thing, exactly.
2Sa 22:25 Therefore the LORD hath recompensed me according to my righteousness; according to my cleanness
in his eye sight.
Psa 7:8 The LORD shall judge the people; judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity[that is] in me.

Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith : but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

1Corinthians 13:13 (KJV) And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

Verses Opposing certain by faith Christian sects;
It is by works and by faith that you will be saved if you read James 2:26, James 2:18-26,and James 2:17 and Romans 10:10

Torah ethos regarding one's works;
"...if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday." (Isaiah 58:10).

9And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice: If any man shall adore the beast and his image and receive his character in his forehead or in his hand, 10He also shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mingled with pure wine in the cup of his wrath: and shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the sight of the holy angels and in the sight of the Lamb. 11And the smoke of their torments, shall ascend up for ever and ever: neither have they rest day nor night, who have adored the beast and his image and whoever receiveth the character of his name. 12Here is the patience of the saints, who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

13And I heard a voice from heaven, saying to me: Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. From henceforth now, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours. For their works follow them.

2Sa 22:25 Therefore the LORD hath recompensed me according to my righteousness; according to my cleanness
in his eye sight.
Psa 7:8 The LORD shall judge the people; judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity[that is] in me.

Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith : but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

1Corinthians 13:13 (KJV) And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

Verses Opposing certain by faith Christian sects;
It is by works and by faith that you will be saved if you read James 2:26, James 2:18-26,and James 2:17 and Romans 10:10

Torah ethos regarding one's works;
"...if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday." (Isaiah 58:10).

Thank you

You sound Christian but have a Jewish -looking avatar

Forum List

Back