Zone1 Scriptures that say we are judged by our DEEDS

I don't believe there is anything nuanced or obscure here. A thief with a lifetime of bad deeds gets eternal life in Heaven with a last minute repentance.
In Matthew 20 is the parable of the workers in the vineyard. Some men worked all day long in the heat of the day. Some worked only half a day, and some worked only one hour, but they all got paid the same amount, a day's wage. Some got exactly what they agreed to, but others got more.

So I will again recount the story of the thief on the cross next to Jesus who repented. Jesus said essentially "I say to you that you will be with me today in Paradise". He made it to Heaven without a lifetime of good deeds, correct? Is this not contradictory?
Biblically speaking, no one story stands alone. We also hear that Jesus is the judge of the living and the dead--that he knows what is in the heart. We don't know what was in the heart of the thief and why he made the choices he did throughout his life. Jesus did and could see a good heart in difficult situations.

Also, 'Paradise' also has a different meaning, that of an enclosed garden, which some regard as a place just outside the gates of heaven.

OK I undestand that, however I still see a disconnect between the thief's lifetime of (assumed) bad deeds and all of that essentially wiped away with a last minute repentance.
This following kind of ties in with what Meriweather has said, albeit unintentionally, since I just now read her post

God knew the theif didn't have time on Earth for all that he could have done to make up for his bad deeds.

Also, I suppose (and am not speaking for the Catholic Church here, as I often am) that it's possible being in paradise is not exactly STAYING there?

AFter all, I have heard (reliable sources) that everyone gets to see, after death, what heaven is like... evn those destined for Hell. I suppose that is the greatest punishment they ever get... the thought that they could have had all that but threw it away

Good Works

Wait a minute. Isn't that what "Purgatory" is for? Why didn't the thief have to work his salvation out in Purgatory? Instead, absent from his body meant present with the Lord.
maybe you should read some of my posts b4 arguing with me...

maybe you should read some of my posts b4 arguing with me...
No need. You contradict yourself. Maybe you should answer my questions.
Why didn't the thief go to purgatory to work out his salvation? What Paul said about us was also true for the thief. Absent from the body is present with the Lord, and the thief proved it.

Christ gathered the dead from everywhere at the White Throne Judgment. From the dead in Hell, to the dead in the sea, and never mentions the dead in Purgatory. Because it doesn't exist.

Amazing how little anyone listens to anyone here!

oh well... I've done what I could.. I know when people are totally closed minded.. not reading Irish Ram anymore

IR can direct his/her comments to someone else. I am not reading it. I know Truth from error. I get it that others don't know what I know... but rather tired of being accused of being... fill in the blanks just bc I don't believe exactly like.. whomever

very uncivilized behavior

Amazing how little anyone listens to anyone here!

oh well... I've done what I could.. I know when people are totally closed minded.. not reading Irish Ram anymore

IR can direct his/her comments to someone else. I am not reading it. I know Truth from error. I get it that others don't know what I know... but rather tired of being accused of being... fill in the blanks just bc I don't believe exactly like.. whomever

very uncivilized behavior
Reading your reply it sounds as if your speaking about yourself.

"Amazing how little anyone listens to anyone here!"

"I know when people are totally closed minded.."

and

"IR can direct his/her comments to someone else. I am not reading it. I know Truth from error. I get it that others don't know what I know... but rather tired of being accused of being... fill in the blanks just bc I don't believe exactly like.. whomever

very uncivilized behavior"

and gifts can be lost

physical ones, spiritual ones

once saved always saved is NOWHERE in the Bible
A gift can't be earned. The gift of salvation is by faith. Only God can judge the heart. It's not up to me to judge who is saved and who isn't.

A gift can't be earned. The gift of salvation is by faith. Only God can judge the heart. It's not up to me to judge who is saved and who isn't.
well, I hope you don't think I was accusing you of judging someone? I was just stating something, not so much for you, but for those who read these posts. I frankly think that a lot of America SUBCONSCIOUSLY buys into this osas stuff one way or another. I mean, you look at all the lawlessness, lack of morals... People today act like no matter what they do, God "lovvvves" them... But they have obviously a misguided notion of God's love. When you love someone, you don't want that person making hideous choices that end up destroying the person.

If only I myself had listened to the Church when I was younger... I could have saved myself and others a lot of pain and suffering..

But Americans don't like being told what to do, therefore, they reject Christ and His Church and all those "restraining" commandments which actually do not restrain but set us free.

well, I hope you don't think I was accusing you of judging someone? I was just stating something, not so much for you, but for those who read these posts. I frankly think that a lot of America SUBCONSCIOUSLY buys into this osas stuff one way or another. I mean, you look at all the lawlessness, lack of morals... People today act like no matter what they do, God "lovvvves" them... But they have obviously a misguided notion of God's love. When you love someone, you don't want that person making hideous choices that end up destroying the person.

If only I myself had listened to the Church when I was younger... I could have saved myself and others a lot of pain and suffering..

But Americans don't like being told what to do, therefore, they reject Christ and His Church and all those "restraining" commandments which actually do not restrain but set us free.
I see your point now. God loves us regardless, but isn't pleased by some of our choices. That's probably true of all parents.

I see your point now. God loves us regardless, but isn't pleased by some of our choices. That's probably true of all parents.
well, actually, God is complete in Himself and doesn't, technically, "need" us at all. He could spend eternity without us and still be happy.

But sin destroys us. I know. I used to be "liberal" in this one particular way, although politically, I was almost always a Republican.. (except when I was a teenager but what do they know?)

Anyway, the Catholic Church and many other non Catholic churches teach that this one sin I used to commit is a very serious sin, but when young, I didn't listen to the CC about that particular thing, which I would rather not identify (no, it wasn't the M thing...) LOL

But now I see the wisdom in all Church teachings. You can't accept just some of what Jesus said... can't be a cafeteria Christian

well, actually, God is complete in Himself and doesn't, technically, "need" us at all. He could spend eternity without us and still be happy.

But sin destroys us. I know. I used to be "liberal" in this one particular way, although politically, I was almost always a Republican.. (except when I was a teenager but what do they know?)

Anyway, the Catholic Church and many other non Catholic churches teach that this one sin I used to commit is a very serious sin, but when young, I didn't listen to the CC about that particular thing, which I would rather not identify (no, it wasn't the M thing...) LOL

But now I see the wisdom in all Church teachings. You can't accept just some of what Jesus said... can't be a cafeteria Christian
My point is your good works cannot save you or keep you saved. It's by faith.

My point is your good works cannot save you or keep you saved. It's by faith.
It is true that if a person thinks "I am going to do this good deed or that one and that will get me into God's Kingdom"--that person is lying to himself.

However, good deeds are necessary. This whole faith versus deeds thing is addressed in the book of James and elsewhere.

And many times in the Bible it says we are judged by our deeds. In James 2:12 it speaks of having faith but not works

It says Faith without works is dead

Forum List

Back