Scott Walker: "Our Next President Should Be a Governor"

our next POTUS should be Governor ...

thus spake the 45th Governor of Wisconsin.

LMAO

Historically, governors and VP's are where most of our presidents come from. With the former outpacing the latter. It makes sense. The best experience to be a chief executive is to be a chief executive.

Reagan, Roosevelt, Clinton, Bush Jr, and Carter were all former governors.

The second best pool is VPs. Truman, LBJ and Bush Sr. fit that bill.

Senators are next, with JFK and Obama. Though military experience is almost always a prerequisite for a major party presidential candidate with only Senate experience. Obama is the lone exception.

Walker would have the experience. And Wisconsin is a large enough state that I'd argue that experience would be relevant. Being the governor of say, Rhodes Island or Alaska, not so much. The lack of speaking chops are kind of a deal breaker though.

yeah, I get that, but you didn't get the point I made.

I get that its ridiculously self serving. But its also pretty accurate.

LMAO

Historically, governors and VP's are where most of our presidents come from. With the former outpacing the latter. It makes sense. The best experience to be a chief executive is to be a chief executive.

Senators are next, with JFK and Obama. Though military experience is almost always a prerequisite for a major party presidential candidate with only Senate experience. Obama is the lone exception.

Walker would have the experience. And Wisconsin is a large enough state that I'd argue that experience would be relevant. Being the governor of say, Rhodes Island or Alaska, not so much. The lack of speaking chops are kind of a deal breaker though.

If you look at the losing candidates for the last several elections, it has pretty much come down to lack of charisma-
Romney
Kerry
Gore

McCain is the only arguable exception- and he certainly was outclassed as a speaker by Obama.

LMAO

yeah, I get that, but you didn't get the point I made.

I get that its ridiculously self serving. But its also pretty accurate.

pretty accurate?

depending which party you query about Governors/Good Presidents

take Clinton/Bush for instance.

Hillary has the foreign policy experience- more than any potential GOP candidate- but when have Americans cared about that?

She doesn't have any executive experience though.

There are a number of solid GOP governors who could run- I just suspect the GOP will find someway to ensure that they have the weakest candidate.

I would love a really strong alternative to Hilary for the Democrats.

I'm with you. Hillary strikes me as......politically fragile. She's competent, tough, focused and organized. Plus, she's got a goddamn political Jedi sleeping next to her every night. But she's polarizing. People's feelings regarding her tend to run strong in either direction. And her lack of executive experience will hurt her.

She impressed the hell out of me as Secretary of State. But I don't think that will be enough for the reason you cited: Americans really don't give a fuck about foreign policy.

Jeb in my opinion is superbly positioned. The man is soft spoken, has qualification falling out of his pockets, and has strong ties to the Hispanic community (and speaks the language fluently, which Latinos will definitely respond to) and is politically connected among the GOP establishment as Hillary is with the Democrats.

The GOP seems to finally be coming off of is 'Purge the RINOs!' hysteria and seem more open to the wide shade of the Big Tent. Under which Jeb will do nicely. Plus, my sense of the electorate is that they want someone comfortable. Conventional. Jeb is both. Hell, even his name is a well worn tread.

The GOP is doing a better job of grooming viable candidates for presidential runs in my opinion. The democrats kind of shot their load with Obama. And since him, haven't really had any stand outs with good qualifications. They've got some AAA players (mayor of San Antonio comes to mind), but he won't be ready for 2016.

So its likely gonna be Hillary.

I agree.

I get concerned that Jeb will pull a Bush Sr. and veer to the Right to appease the Tea Party but he is in my opinion the GOP candidate most likely to succeed. Governor of the 4th most populated states- speaks Spanish(a plus for Latino voters, will alienate some on the far right).

Which means the far right wing will hate him.

And yes- I think the DNC essentially is either cowed by going up against Hilary or just cruising on the assumption that she will win. I like Hilary- but I am disillusioned by Obama's lack of administrative experience- it showed spectacularly with the implementation of ACA- if that had been implemented under Bill Clinton, he would made sure the program was up and running correctly on time.

lol, they are desperate. you have to read the comments...yeehaw

SNIP:
Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president.

at the compost:
Scott Walker has no college degree. That 8217 s normal for an American but not a president. - The Washington Post

Like I said when the issue of college degrees came up for Obama and Romney- if you want to base your vote on what someone did or did not do in college- rather than their record in government and in business- you are an idiot.

SNIP:
Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president.

at the compost:
Scott Walker has no college degree. That 8217 s normal for an American but not a president. - The Washington Post

Like I said when the issue of college degrees came up for Obama and Romney- if you want to base your vote on what someone did or did not do in college- rather than their record in government and in business- you are an idiot.

take it up with the WashingtonCompost

SNIP:

at the compost:

however, Obamas record in government showed a term in the state senate where he voted 90 party line and 10 percent present (absent/no vote); he had his name on no legislation. A year and a half as a US senator where he voted 90% party line and 10% present with no legislation with his name on it.....no committee leadership and no managerial experience n government......yet when his supporters were asked "why Obama" , they would say he had an impeccable educational background and he is an extremely intelligent man.

I bet you voted for him.....

SNIP:

at the compost:

however, Obamas record in government showed a term in the state senate where he voted 90 party line and 10 percent present (absent/no vote); he had his name on no legislation. A year and a half as a US senator where he voted 90% party line and 10% present with no legislation with his name on it.....no committee leadership and no managerial experience n government......yet when his supporters were asked "why Obama" , they would say he had an impeccable educational background and he is an extremely intelligent man.

I bet you voted for him.....

I voted for Obama because I thought he was better than McCain- and then again because I thought he was better than Romney.

I didn't consider his college record at all- and anyone who decides to make a big deal out of Walker's college record is going to look like a desperate loser.

Forum List

Back