Science Humor...Funny Because Sadly,....it is True

SSDD

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2012
I saw this hypothetical exchange between a climate scientist and a physicist over at Knowledge Drift; The Science of Human Error..Of course the tight assed, humorless drudges among us (and you know who you are) won't see the humor, but to the rest of you, enjoy.

The Physicist and the Climatologist Follow the Money Knowledge Drift The Science of Human Error

Climatologist; I have a system of undetermined complexity and undetermined composition, floating and spinning in space. It has a few internal but steady state and minor energy sources. An external energy source radiates 1365 watts per meter squared at it on a constant basis. What will happen?

Physicist; The system will arrive at a steady state temperature which radiates heat to space that equals the total of the energy inputs. Complexity of the system being unknown, and the body spinning in space versus the radiated energy source, there will be cyclic variations in temperature, but the long term average will not change.

Climatologist; Well what if I change the composition of the system?

Physicist; see above.

Climatologist; Perhaps you don’t understand my question. The system has an unknown quantity of CO2 in the atmosphere that absorbs energy in the same spectrum as the system is radiating. There are also quantities of carbon and oxygen that are combining to create more CO2 which absorbs more energy. Would this not raise the temperature of the system?

Physicist; there would be a temporary fluctuation in temperature caused by changes in how energy flows through the system, but for the long term average… see above.

Climatologist; But the CO2 would cause a small rise in temperature, which even if it was temporary would cause a huge rise in water vapour which would absorb even more of the energy being radiated by the system. This would have to raise the temperature of the system.

Physicist; there would be a temporary fluctuation in the temperature caused by changes in how energy flows through the system, but for the long term average… see above.

Climatologist; That can’t be true. I’ve been measuring temperature at thousands of points in the system and the average is rising.

Physicist; The temperature rise you observe can be due to one of two factors. It may be due to a cyclic variation that has not completed, or it could be due to the changes you alluded to earlier resulting in a redistribution of energy in the system that affects the measurement points more than the system as a whole. Unless the energy inputs have changed, the long term temperature average would be… see above.

Climatologist; AHA! All that burning of fossil fuel is releasing energy that was stored millions of years ago, you cannot deny that this would increase temperature.

Physicist; Is it more than 0.01% of what the energy source shining on the planet is?

Climatologist; Uhm… no.

Physicist; rounding error. For the long term temperature of the planet… see above.

Climatologist; Methane! Methane absorbs even more than CO2.

Physicist; see above.

Climatologist; Clouds! Clouds would retain more energy!

Physicist; see above.

Climatologist; Ice! If a fluctuation in temperature melted all the ice less energy would be reflected into space and would instead be absorbed into the system, raising the temperature. Ha!

Physicist; The ice you are pointing at is mostly at the poles where the inclination of the radiant energy source is so sharp that there isn’t much energy to absorb anyway. But what little there is would certainly go into the surface the ice used to cover, raising its temperature. That would reduce the temperature differential between equator and poles which would slow down convection processes that move energy from hot places to cold places. The result would be increased radiance from the planet that would exceed energy input until the planet cooled down enough to start forming ice again. As I said before, the change to the system that you propose could well result in redistribution of energy flows, and in short term temperature fluctuations, but as for the long term average temperature…. see above.

Climatologist; Blasphemer! Unbeliever! The temperature HAS to rise! I have reports! I have measurements! I have computer simulations! I have committees! United Nations committees! Grant money! Billions and billions and billions! I CAN’T be wrong, I will never explain it! Billions! and the carbon trading! Trillions in carbon trading!

Physicist; <gasp!> how much grant money?

Climatologist; Billions. Want some?

Physicist; Uhm…

Climatologist; BILLIONS

Climatologist; Hi. I used to be a physicist. When I started to understand the danger the world was in though, I decided to do the right thing and become a climatologist. Let me explain the greenhouse effect to you…

SSDD.............brilliant thread!!!

The operative phrase in the dialogue?

"undetermined complexity and undetermined composition"

The AGW religion came together in the early 90's and brilliantly schemed this shit........take something so complex that nobody can ever understand it..........take snapshots of it when it suits your needs and sell it as "science". When it morphs again, change the narrative a bit and call it a "new discovery in the evolution of understanding climate science". But then it is sold every single day as "settled". A fair amount of boobs fall for it.........the general narrative........but what is most fascinating is that people like you find in this forum were sold years ago, hook, line and stinker, thus, the group frequently referred to as a religion.

Blind faith......made very clear with the responses of the climate guy in the above dialogue!! Ghey:gay:

Deniers really shouldn't attempt humor. It always ends up highlighting their own inability to comprehend basic logic and physics. Plus, it inevitably starts out whiny and bitter, then gets even more whiny and bitter after people point out how lame it is.

What's sad is the physics ignorance that composed it.
What is sad is that you are so blinded by your own bias that you actually believe what you say. .

The jokes physicist is simply spouting denier crap. In the real world, the proportion of physicists that would make such contentions is vanishingly insignificant.

Why don't you show us one that failed?

It's your stupid "Theory", show us one (1) that succeeded

Koch failed your theory at the turn of the 20th Century

The difference between the temperature of the Earth and the other planets with respect to their calculated, black body temperatures is de facto evidence of the reality of the greenhouse effect. CO2's demonstrated absorption of IR bands not absorbed by water vapor or any other GHG unequivocally identifies its 'greenhouse' status. Demonstrations of the effect are manifold and you have already seen and read of several. Your contention that you have not, Frank, is a clear and demonstrable lie.

The difference between the temperature of the Earth and the other planets with respect to their calculated, black body temperatures is de facto evidence of the reality of the greenhouse effect. CO2's demonstrated absorption of IR bands not absorbed by water vapor or any other GHG unequivocally identifies its 'greenhouse' status. Demonstrations of the effect are manifold and you have already seen and read of several. Your contention that you have not, Frank, is a clear and demonstrable lie.

So you can't produce a single lab experiment that controls for varying amounts of CO2?

I've made a LOT of predictions here and on the other forum over the past 8 years. All of them have either come true or they will. None have yet been wrong. Here's one I made about Global Warming a few years back that hasn't come true but count on it, it will:

Global Warming as we know is bull shit. As time goes by while we are arguing this issue, the planet will not appreciably warm. The Ice Caps will not disappear, the oceans will continue to not rise, and we will have snow in the places it normally does. after a ceretain number of years when it's obvious that AGW didn't happen, the believers will say this:

"See? It's because of our efforts that the planet did not warm or was kept from over- warming."

Take that to the bank people.

So you can't produce a single lab experiment that controls for varying amounts of CO2?

The "You can't prove it doesnt." argument coming in 10...9...8...

Forum List

Back