CDZ Scare Tactics...Are They Legitimate

I don't necessarily want this to be a political thread, because both sides use scare tactics...whether it is the GOP hates black people or the Dems are the new slave owners...whatever...irrelevant. Is using scare tactics a legitimate and ethical way to market an ideal or product. Sure, it could be considered preying on the stupid or propaganda to promote a message? Again, not political because is it ethical for a company to use scare tactics to market a product....maybe marketing Ebola protection kits...end of the world products...whatever. Maybe it is a Christian saying you will burn in hell for sinning or an Atheist saying that religions are destroying the world.

Do you buy into the scare tactics...do you incorporate them into your arguments or decision making process?

Ethical? No. But does that really matter? We will do what we think necessary to get our message across, whether it is to get someone elected or to sell toothpaste. The other side of that issue is whether it is ethical for someone to accept the message without doing their own research to see whether or not it is true.

I don't necessarily want this to be a political thread, because both sides use scare tactics...whether it is the GOP hates black people or the Dems are the new slave owners...whatever...irrelevant. Is using scare tactics a legitimate and ethical way to market an ideal or product. Sure, it could be considered preying on the stupid or propaganda to promote a message? Again, not political because is it ethical for a company to use scare tactics to market a product....maybe marketing Ebola protection kits...end of the world products...whatever. Maybe it is a Christian saying you will burn in hell for sinning or an Atheist saying that religions are destroying the world.

Do you buy into the scare tactics...do you incorporate them into your arguments or decision making process?

Ethical? No. But does that really matter? We will do what we think necessary to get our message across, whether it is to get someone elected or to sell toothpaste. The other side of that issue is whether it is ethical for someone to accept the message without doing their own research to see whether or not it is true.
I agree, marketers take advantage of stupid people. I guess the big question...why do we allow it. Hell, people know some marketing is complete and utter BS, yet they still buy into the product or ideal. Is it really stupidity that causes them to buy into outrageous claims; or is it simply willful ignorance.in an attempt to justify a thought process.

There is a lot of psychology that goes into marketing and political campaigning...people are rather predictable.

There is a lot of psychology that goes into marketing and political campaigning...people are rather predictable.
Way too much, if you ask me. I cringe when I see stupid people eating up hyperbole and hysteria. Makes me wonder if they believe the nonsense because they are gullible lemmings or if they just don't care because whatever thought or product justifies their belief system.

Way too much, if you ask me. I cringe when I see stupid people eating up hyperbole and hysteria. Makes me wonder if they believe the nonsense because they are gullible lemmings or if they just don't care because whatever thought or product justifies their belief system.

All of the above.

I agree, marketers take advantage of stupid people. I guess the big question...why do we allow it. Hell, people know some marketing is complete and utter BS, yet they still buy into the product or ideal. Is it really stupidity that causes them to buy into outrageous claims; or is it simply willful ignorance.in an attempt to justify a thought process.

We allow it because of the first amendment.

Forum List

Back