Saudi Land Purchases Fuel Debate Over US Water Rights

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
(I am surprised the USMB AGW cult didn't post this yet, but why should I be surprised, they are told what to read and handed talking points.)

With all the money that Saudi Arabia has how come they just don't build more desalination plants? And this is werid instead of buying crops from our farmers, they are buying land specifically for water rights. ....

Me thinks these laws were not intended for this...........

• By ELLIOT SPAGAT AND AYA BATRAWY, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SAN DIEGO — Mar 28, 2016

Saudi Arabia's largest dairy company will soon be unable to farm alfalfa in its own parched country to feed its 170,000 cows. So it's turning to an unlikely place to grow the water-chugging crop — the drought-stricken American Southwest.

Almarai Co. bought land in January that roughly doubled its holdings in California's Palo Verde Valley, an area that enjoys first dibs on water from the Colorado River. The company also acquired a large tract near Vicksburg, Arizona, becoming a powerful economic force in a region that has fewer well-pumping restrictions than other parts of the state.

The purchases totaling about 14,000 acres enable the Saudis to take advantage of farm-friendly U.S. water laws. The acquisitions have also rekindled debate over whether a patchwork of regulations and court rulings in the West favors farmers too heavily, especially those who grow thirsty, low-profit crops such as alfalfa at a time when cities are urging people to take shorter showers, skip car washes and tear out grass lawns.

"It flies in the face of economic reason," said John Szczepanski, director of the U.S. Forage Export Council. "You've taken on all of the risk a farmer has. The only way you can justify that is that they're really not trying to make a profit. They're trying to secure the food supply."

For decades, Saudi Arabia attempted to grow its own water-intensive crops for food rather than rely on farms abroad. But it reversed that policy about eight years ago to protect scarce supplies.

To further conserve water, the country has adopted bans on selected crops. This year, the kingdom will no longer produce wheat. In December, the government announced the country will stop growing green fodder, livestock feed derived from crops like alfalfa, over the next three years.

I bet you think if US companies had done the same thing, this would have been A-OK.

PS - feeding the current Saudi population would require 30-40 million acres, not the 14,000 this article concerns.

I bet you think if US companies had done the same thing, this would have been A-OK.

PS - feeding the current Saudi population would require 30-40 million acres, not the 14,000 this article concerns.

They do, do it where have you been? Where is that Mr. H guy and his non stop talk of factory farming?

Or do you mean a U.S. company buying Saudi Sand for some reason? Go ahead I think they have a lot to spare.....

I really can't tell what issue you're attempting to raise here. A little more commentary about your position might clear that up.

I live in South Florida. Water is not much of a commodity and large pieces of land are quite rare till you move a ways north. Farming is not a big activity here. Again, a little further north, where the oranges grow.

This just reminded me of the stupid story that went around a few years back on how obama was selling great lake water to china.

example links:

Obama Allows Great Lakes Water To Be Sold To China As Half The U.S. Faces Extreme Water Crisis

With Obama's Blessing, Nation's Water Supply Disappearing

Water Crisis: Great Lakes Water Being Shipped To China, 40% Of Rivers Too Polluted For Human Use

Ya think when people make that shit up, how could it be economicly possible? Do they even know how many millions of gallons that one lake loses in just one day to evaporation? So where are all these Chinese tankers filling up with great lakes water? How are they turning dry good storage on ships to liquid? What did they do build a pipeline from the great lakes to Beijing ?

I really can't tell what issue you're attempting to raise here. A little more commentary about your position might clear that up.

I live in South Florida. Water is not much of a commodity and large pieces of land are quite rare till you move a ways north. Farming is not a big activity here. Again, a little further north, where the oranges grow.

Sorry I was reading something, my thoughts were I think it is strange a rich country like Saudi Arabia coming into our country to buy water rights. When they have the dang Persian gulf to draw water from, just build more desalination plants.

I live on the border with NC and Georgia they are always fighting SC for water for Atlanta and Charlotte... Local states I can understand but not country's half way around the world.

I can't see them shipping water 12,000 miles. I would have far greater suspicions that the purchase is an investment.

Forum List

Back