How a Saudi firm tapped a gusher of water in drought-stricken Arizona

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
A megadrought has seared Arizona, stressing its rivers and reservoirs and reducing water to a trickle in the homes of farmworkers near this desert valley.
But green fields of alfalfa stretch across thousands of acres of the desert land, shimmering in the burning sunlight. Wells draw water from deep underground, turning the parched earth into verdant farmland.

For nearly a decade, the state of Arizona has leased this rural terrain west of Phoenix to a Saudi-owned company, allowing it to pump all the water it needs to grow the alfalfa hay — a crop it exports to feed the kingdom’s dairy cows. And, for years, the state did not know how much water the company was consuming.
The lack of information was a choice.

Soon after the company, Fondomonte Arizona, arrived in the Butler Valley in 2015, state planners suggested asking the company to install meters and report its water use...

But the proposal “hit a stone wall,” John Schneeman, one of the planners, told The Post. It was spurned, he said, by officials in the administration of then-Gov. Doug Ducey (R) who were “cautious of tangling with a powerful company.” The proposal also ran headlong into a view, deeply held in the rural West, that water is private property that comes with access to land, rather than a public resource.
The inaction was an early sign of how state officials gave leeway to Fondomonte as a global fight for water took root in the Arizona desert. Leaving water unprotected amid a drought worsened by climate change has been a boon to Saudi Arabia, where industrial-scale farming of forage crops such as alfalfa is banned to conserve the Persian Gulf nation’s limited water supply.

A Post investigation — based on government documents and interviews with public officials, ranchers in the valley, farmworkers, and townspeople who live near the alfalfa fields — found that Arizona’s lax regulatory environment and sophisticated lobbying by the Saudi-owned company allowed a scarce American resource to flow unchecked to a foreign corporation. To advance its interests before the state, Fondomonte hired an influential Republican lawyer as well as a former member of Congress. And it sought to win over its rural neighbors, providing a high school with donations that included Fondomonte-sponsored sports bags and face masks emblazoned with the company logo to protect students from covid.

Last month, the new governor, Democrat Katie Hobbs, unveiled a long-awaited study showing that groundwater in parts of the Phoenix area was insufficient to meet projected demand over the next century. Her administration also recently sought details about water use on state-owned land. Only after the state threatened to cancel Fondomonte’s leases last month did the company disclose how much it pumps annually in the Butler Valley, according to communications released as part of a public-records request. Its consumption is equivalent to that of a city of more than 50,000 people, experts said.
The governor’s aides are now preparing plans not to renew Fondomonte’s leases in the Butler Valley when they expire next year

How can a state that is starving for water allow outsiders to siphon off its precious resources? Guess, you grease enough palms and you can literally steal the farm or in this case water!

The Republican officer, appointed by Republican governor Jan Brewer, in charge of this approved it with the Republican legislature and Republican governor's blessing.

A megadrought has seared Arizona, stressing its rivers and reservoirs and reducing water to a trickle in the homes of farmworkers near this desert valley.
But green fields of alfalfa stretch across thousands of acres of the desert land, shimmering in the burning sunlight. Wells draw water from deep underground, turning the parched earth into verdant farmland.

For nearly a decade, the state of Arizona has leased this rural terrain west of Phoenix to a Saudi-owned company, allowing it to pump all the water it needs to grow the alfalfa hay — a crop it exports to feed the kingdom’s dairy cows. And, for years, the state did not know how much water the company was consuming.

Soon after the company, Fondomonte Arizona, arrived in the Butler Valley in 2015, state planners suggested asking the company to install meters and report its water use...

But the proposal “hit a stone wall,” John Schneeman, one of the planners, told The Post. It was spurned, he said, by officials in the administration of then-Gov. Doug Ducey (R) who were “cautious of tangling with a powerful company.” The proposal also ran headlong into a view, deeply held in the rural West, that water is private property that comes with access to land, rather than a public resource.
The inaction was an early sign of how state officials gave leeway to Fondomonte as a global fight for water took root in the Arizona desert. Leaving water unprotected amid a drought worsened by climate change has been a boon to Saudi Arabia, where industrial-scale farming of forage crops such as alfalfa is banned to conserve the Persian Gulf nation’s limited water supply.

A Post investigation — based on government documents and interviews with public officials, ranchers in the valley, farmworkers, and townspeople who live near the alfalfa fields — found that Arizona’s lax regulatory environment and sophisticated lobbying by the Saudi-owned company allowed a scarce American resource to flow unchecked to a foreign corporation. To advance its interests before the state, Fondomonte hired an influential Republican lawyer as well as a former member of Congress. And it sought to win over its rural neighbors, providing a high school with donations that included Fondomonte-sponsored sports bags and face masks emblazoned with the company logo to protect students from covid.

Last month, the new governor, Democrat Katie Hobbs, unveiled a long-awaited study showing that groundwater in parts of the Phoenix area was insufficient to meet projected demand over the next century. Her administration also recently sought details about water use on state-owned land. Only after the state threatened to cancel Fondomonte’s leases last month did the company disclose how much it pumps annually in the Butler Valley, according to communications released as part of a public-records request. Its consumption is equivalent to that of a city of more than 50,000 people, experts said.
The governor’s aides are now preparing plans not to renew Fondomonte’s leases in the Butler Valley when they expire next year

How can a state that is starving for water allow outsiders to siphon off its precious resources? Guess, you grease enough palms and you can literally steal the farm or in this case water!
Exporting any food whether grain or animals is pretty much the same thing. The water, feed, fertilizer, grass, even the soil is exchanged for numbers on a bank account. Even the manure is wasted.

Those aren't hills in the background, it's mountains of manure going to waste.

050128_maure_hmed_6a.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this. I have seen the article and was interested, but could not get past the paywall. Hopefully, you did not go beyond recommend copy/paste guidelines, but what you did post is more than I had access to by the link on Drudge Report, and the alternate discussions linked with the WaPo article, did not actually discuss the article.

I am not from the Southwest, but aware of the growing water shortage in that region. I too, wonder how that Governor or any since could not or should not deal with it for the long term stewardship to the benefit of citizens of that state, just so Saudi cows can be fed in Saudi Arabia, on the water resources here. OPEC certainly had no qualms of shutting off oil to the world to protect or at least get more out of its resources.

Thanks for posting this. I have seen the article and was interested, but could not get past the paywall. Hopefully, you did not go beyond recommend copy/paste guidelines, but what you did post is more than I had access to by the link on Drudge Report, and the alternate discussions linked with the WaPo article, did not actually discuss the article.

I am not from the Southwest, but aware of the growing water shortage in that region. I too, wonder how that Governor or any since could not or should not deal with it for the long term stewardship to the benefit of citizens of that state, just so Saudi cows can be fed in Saudi Arabia, on the water resources here. OPEC certainly had no qualms of shutting off oil to the world to protect or at least get more out of its resources.
Thing is, America plunders the natural resources of the world without a second thought. Water is renewable, that other stuff isn't.

— found that Arizona’s lax regulatory environment and sophisticated lobbying by the Saudi-owned company allowed a scarce American resource to flow unchecked to a foreign corporation.

Last month, the new governor, Democrat Katie Hobbs, unveiled a long-awaited study showing that groundwater in parts of the Phoenix area was insufficient to meet projected demand over the next century.
so much stupidity in this article;

Deserts only exist where there the climate is a natural mega-drought.

Scarce American resource, bullshit. Water is abundant in America. That is why the Saudi farm is one of hundreds of farms in Arizona.

Insufficient to meet projected demand? Gee, that is what the government of Arizona has planned for Arizona. Time to scale back that there plan, dumb asses, you live in the desert and aint got the water to keep pretending like you do not.

I was confused, you are right, but I did not call you names you fucking prick.

To get even I just got to wait for you to post again, typically you are one of the biggest morons in these threads.
Poor baby fucked up and crying like a little bitch.

go back and quote my fuck up, how about just posting the post #

what exactly are you talking about, I just went back and there is no post I can find that you are referring to.

so tell us all, which post #
I'm sad to say that just about any of yours would qualify.

I'm sad to say that just about any of yours would qualify.
dont lie crick, you are happy to say that because other than trolling and being a hypocrite, you can only link to stuff that you can not read nor comprehend, which you admitted.

crick, was it not you that screamed for me to stay on topic, yet, crick, you prove yourself a hypocrite over and over.

go back and quote my fuck up, how about just posting the post #

what exactly are you talking about, I just went back and there is no post I can find that you are referring to.

so tell us all, which post #
>>elektra said:
I-10 and US 60 are nowhere near Butler AZ

You looked up Butler Drive in Peoria AZ, just outside of phoenix.<<

View attachment 806674

And then you acknowledged it in post 11
You have issues.

dont lie crick, you are happy to say that because other than trolling and being a hypocrite, you can only link to stuff that you can not read nor comprehend, which you admitted.
I admitted no such thing. That would be another lie on your part
crick, was it not you that screamed for me to stay on topic
No.
yet, crick, you prove yourself a hypocrite over and over.
Your argument failed in the premise.

I have not read the OP; the topic doesn't look appealing. Would you recommend it? Should I get involved? Did you miss me?

Forum List

Back