Saturday

It IS hard to get students to read, though, I agree with that. There are ways, though, that don't involve waterboarding. Teachers who love what they teach can inspire a lot of students.

And here's my point. Those gifted teachers are just so rare. I was warehoused all through elementary school and high school. Bored to distraction. Fortunately, my father inspired a deep love of reading when I was little which has stayed with me all my life. Only in college, (talk about your leftist indoctrination centers!), did I meet truly inspirational instructors. One single handedly lit a burning love of history in me that still rages today 36 years after his classes.

I guess it's the luck of the draw which kids get exposed to the talented teachers. The rest are warehoused. Our education system rarely attracts top talent.

I'm an instructor by the way.

Making school six days a week would probably cost you half the country’s teachers

Our education system rarely attracts top talent. I know it is anecdotal but all the teachers I've met over the decades have chosen the profession for the schedule. Many I've know have shown open contempt for their students.

Which makes me admire the talented, motivated ones all the more.

Making school six days a week would probably cost you half the country’s teachers

Our education system rarely attracts top talent. I know it is anecdotal but all the teachers I've met over the decades have chosen the profession for the schedule. Many I've know have shown open contempt for their students.

Which makes me admire the talented, motivated ones all the more.
I live in an area with lots of excellent teachers; but you do run into people that hate kids so much, you wonder why in the world they decided to work with them for a living.

My kid has been rather lucky. His teachers are quite dedicated. We are at the school, as are they, sometimes until 10-11 at night. We are there on Saturdays. There are meetings on Sunday. There are competitions. Maybe we're just lucky.

Either way, robotics season is officially over and it is wind down time. Now it is time to gear up for road trip time. That whole family thang. So, no additional school crap. Thanks.

If you want Saturday schooling...........use it for those needing remedial training........who are falling behind and not the kids who are doing just fine............Would be motivation to excel during the week.

I'm gonna study cause I don't want to get stuck in school on Saturday..............

Why not give the kids with more evident potential the chance to learn more and faster? Education is an opportunity, not a punishment.
Not all kids have that evident potential. What you were advocating sounded like making ALL kids spend all their time in school.

Almost all kids have more potential than they are given credit for.

My kid has been rather lucky. His teachers are quite dedicated. We are at the school, as are they, sometimes until 10-11 at night. We are there on Saturdays. There are meetings on Sunday. There are competitions. Maybe we're just lucky.

Either way, robotics season is officially over and it is wind down time. Now it is time to gear up for road trip time. That whole family thang. So, no additional school crap. Thanks.

Why is school “crap” to you?

........and we have working laws of 40 hours a week........why wouldn't we apply the same to the kids................

Millions and millions and millions of Americans work a hell of a lot more than 40 hours a week, and going to school is not employment.
Yeah..........I've worked my share of 7 ......12s.............but I sure didn't want my kids to lose their youth in that kinda situation...............I repeat that it is excessive.

Doing your best to improve yourself is NOT “losing your youth.” That’s lazy slack-ass talk.

If you want Saturday schooling...........use it for those needing remedial training........who are falling behind and not the kids who are doing just fine............Would be motivation to excel during the week.

I'm gonna study cause I don't want to get stuck in school on Saturday..............

Why not give the kids with more evident potential the chance to learn more and faster? Education is an opportunity, not a punishment.
Weekend school would be a punishment to them.........................

Only if they are taught - by irresponsible adults - to view education as a punishment.
Negative reinforcement versus Positive reinforcement argument.......

Do shitty in school face negative reinforcement.........When kids acted up in school in my time we got to see the assistant principle......had a special paddle with holes in it........After getting our butts whooped we got to sign it...............

Other negative reinforcement remedial training after normal school hours.........was another punishment for acting up.......

My kids act up or slack...............they got the belt..............some believe in that and some NOT SO MUCH.

If you think of education as a punishment, YOU are part of the problem.

I always suspected you were a closet conservative....

Now we know....

It IS hard to get students to read, though, I agree with that. There are ways, though, that don't involve waterboarding. Teachers who love what they teach can inspire a lot of students.

And here's my point. Those gifted teachers are just so rare. I was warehoused all through elementary school and high school. Bored to distraction. Fortunately, my father inspired a deep love of reading when I was little which has stayed with me all my life. Only in college, (talk about your leftist indoctrination centers!), did I meet truly inspirational instructors. One single handedly lit a burning love of history in me that still rages today 36 years after his classes.

I guess it's the luck of the draw which kids get exposed to the talented teachers. The rest are warehoused. Our education system rarely attracts top talent.

I'm an instructor by the way.
I don't know that teachers who inspire students are all that rare. A teacher doesn't have to be exceptional to cajole students into learning. Good teachers do it every day. I don't know what happened at your school--or did you perhaps just go in with a piss poor attitude?--but I don't believe things are as dire as you believe.

Because we have 3 more weeks to go including weekends. I kid you not between September until May we are nonstop. There are times that I don't even get home until midnight even if he gets home at 8:30 pm. I may have to work on the weekend and he is traveling to a competition or has to build or has to attend a function.

I miss my kid. I have two more years and then he goes to college.

It's called necessary down time, Unkotare. It's the end of the year. I haven't met a teacher in the last 3 weeks that is not ready for the year to end. That's in four counties. I haven't met a kid that wasn't ready for it to end either.

School crap, work crap and house crap.

Not all kids have that evident potential. What you were advocating sounded like making ALL kids spend all their time in school.

Almost all kids have more potential than they are given credit for.
Agreed. I don't agree that locking them up in school for their whole childhood will bring that out.
Climbing trees. Playing fetch with the dog and Mother May I with the kids next door. Kick the can. Walking to the corner store for a sack of candy. Riding your bike. Swimming. Learning to golf. Going to the amusement park for the afternoon. Having Gram teach you how to make cookies. Finding a snapping turtle and bringing it home 'til your parents find out. Climbing more trees. Stealing the black cherries from the neighbor's tree down the street. Visiting relatives in another state.
Want me to go on and on? There is more to life. Just improve the quality of education we have going on now and let our kids have a childhood. Working like slaves for the Man is coming soon enough for them.

Just improve the quality of education we have going on now and let our kids have a childhood. Working like slaves for the Man is coming soon enough for them.

200w.gif

I always suspected you were a closet conservative....

Now we know....

“Closet”?

???

Because we have 3 more weeks to go including weekends. I kid you not between September until May we are nonstop. There are times that I don't even get home until midnight even if he gets home at 8:30 pm. I may have to work on the weekend and he is traveling to a competition or has to build or has to attend a function.

It's called necessary down time, Unkotare. It's the end of the year. I haven't met a teacher in the last 3 weeks that is not ready for the year to end. That's in four counties. I haven't met a kid that wasn't ready for it to end either.

So you hate life in general? What a ray of sunshine.

So you hate life in general? What a ray of sunshine.

:icon_rolleyes: I'll beat thee, but I would infect my hands.

Posting from inside a school right now, I'm wondering why we don't have school on Saturdays in America (generally speaking) as they do in some other countries. So many people complain about how American students stack up, so why not extend the school day and the school week?

I don't know about you, but they would have to hire more teachers because about 80 hours a week is all I could handle as a teacher. I love my new job, because one minute after 40 hours I get this thing called "overtime", which is something I have not experienced since college.

Quality and not quantity ..........

Assert oneself versus not asserting oneself may be an issue.

The kids get to the rat race soon enough.......let them enjoy the simple life a bit.

And when stats show American kids lagging behind other nations?

And when the kids get to the rat race and are less well prepared to win it?
The kids must apply themselves more..............stop common core BS............and teach them more skills.........trades....

Some believe both parents having to work is more of a problem than the system...........because the parents are too tired to help them after school...............

Common Core went away during the Obama administration. Please do try to keep up.

Forum List

Back