Saturday

If you want Saturday schooling...........use it for those needing remedial training........who are falling behind and not the kids who are doing just fine............Would be motivation to excel during the week.

I'm gonna study cause I don't want to get stuck in school on Saturday..............

Why not give the kids with more evident potential the chance to learn more and faster? Education is an opportunity, not a punishment.

Posting from inside a school right now, I'm wondering why we don't have school on Saturdays in America (generally speaking) as they do in some other countries. So many people complain about how American students stack up, so why not extend the school day and the school week?
I am froextending the school day to catch up . 5 when mom and dad get home would be nice but adding school buses to rush hour would not be a good thing.If it were easy they likely would have already done that.
High schoolers could handle 5 p.m. but the little ones already have too long a day in my opinion. Better instruction during the day will solve the problem, for the most part. There is a lot of really exciting stuff going on in teaching the STEM subjects more effectively. Now if they could figure out how to get kids to write with more than their two thumbs in 200 characters or less, we'd be getting somewhere.
I am philosophically opposed to gearing education entirely toward jobs, which is unfortunately what is going on in this country at the moment. In Adult Ed it's gone completely nuts. There is nothing wrong with preparing high schoolers for work, but literature and history and music and art and philosophy are what separates us from the other mammals. They're important, too. If no love or respect or even familiarity with those subjects is inculcated into our youth, what will we have but a bunch of hard working robots?
More advanced classes if you ask me. It took me about 15 minutes to do what we did in an hour of class in high school I was bored out of my scull [sic] most the time.

Ah, the internet...

If you want Saturday schooling...........use it for those needing remedial training........who are falling behind and not the kids who are doing just fine............Would be motivation to excel during the week.

I'm gonna study cause I don't want to get stuck in school on Saturday..............

Why not give the kids with more evident potential the chance to learn more and faster? Education is an opportunity, not a punishment.
Weekend school would be a punishment to them..........and we have working laws of 40 hours a week........why wouldn't we apply the same to the kids................

Weekend school would be a punishment to them.........................

Only if they are taught - by irresponsible adults - to view education as a punishment.

........and we have working laws of 40 hours a week........why wouldn't we apply the same to the kids................

Millions and millions and millions of Americans work a hell of a lot more than 40 hours a week, and going to school is not employment.

........and we have working laws of 40 hours a week........why wouldn't we apply the same to the kids................

Millions and millions and millions of Americans work a hell of a lot more than 40 hours a week, and going to school is not employment.
Yeah..........I've worked my share of 7 ......12s.............but I sure didn't want my kids to lose their youth in that kinda situation...............I repeat that it is excessive.

Weekend school would be a punishment to them.........................

Only if they are taught - by irresponsible adults - to view education as a punishment.
Negative reinforcement versus Positive reinforcement argument.......

Do shitty in school face negative reinforcement.........When kids acted up in school in my time we got to see the assistant principle......had a special paddle with holes in it........After getting our butts whooped we got to sign it...............

Other negative reinforcement remedial training after normal school hours.........was another punishment for acting up.......

My kids act up or slack...............they got the belt..............some believe in that and some NOT SO MUCH.

Posting from inside a school right now, I'm wondering why we don't have school on Saturdays in America (generally speaking) as they do in some other countries. So many people complain about how American students stack up, so why not extend the school day and the school week?

I'm good. My kid is involved in additional activities via the school including YAG, Robotics, Genesians, AP classes. Next year he will be picking up college classes on top of high school classes.

If it can't be done during the allotted days, then it just can't be done.

I am froextending the school day to catch up . 5 when mom and dad get home would be nice but adding school buses to rush hour would not be a good thing.If it were easy they likely would have already done that.
High schoolers could handle 5 p.m. but the little ones already have too long a day in my opinion. Better instruction during the day will solve the problem, for the most part. There is a lot of really exciting stuff going on in teaching the STEM subjects more effectively. Now if they could figure out how to get kids to write with more than their two thumbs in 200 characters or less, we'd be getting somewhere.
I am philosophically opposed to gearing education entirely toward jobs, which is unfortunately what is going on in this country at the moment. In Adult Ed it's gone completely nuts. There is nothing wrong with preparing high schoolers for work, but literature and history and music and art and philosophy are what separates us from the other mammals. They're important, too. If no love or respect or even familiarity with those subjects is inculcated into our youth, what will we have but a bunch of hard working robots?
More advanced classes if you ask me. It took me about 15 minutes to do what we did in an hour of class in high school I was bored out of my scull most the time.
In the long tradition of genius poor spellers like Einstein, you should have paid a little more attention in English. SKULL

So, kids who are just more interested in science and engineering are "robots"? Science and engineering don't separate us from other mammals? I don't see a lot of dolphins flocking to STEM classes.
Of course kids who are more interested in science and engineering aren't robots; not unless they've had the other disciplines completely ignored in their education. Being able to write up a science experiment or a long trigonometry proof is lovely. Don't forget Shakespeare and Picasso is all I'm saying.

Not all kids have that evident potential. What you were advocating sounded like making ALL kids spend all their time in school.

Better instruction during the day will solve the problem, for the most part.

^^^This^^^

More hours of warehousing won't do any good. The kids are damaged enough at these liberal indoctrination centers. It takes them years to figure out the crap (leftist opinions and talking points) they learned in school doesn't apply to the school of hard knocks.

Was listening to an education forum on the radio the other day how modern students won't read classics because they are "too long". They are used to instant gratification. So the teachers and parents cave to them. So who taught them to expect instant gratification and who reinforces it?

To paraphrase Churchill, The best argument against our education is a 5-minute conversation with the average student.

(The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.)

So, kids who are just more interested in science and engineering are "robots"? Science and engineering don't separate us from other mammals? I don't see a lot of dolphins flocking to STEM classes.
I am an engineer here and not a robot! Some poeple even think I have a sense of humor.

Maybe we just ought to shorten the summer vacation/eliminate some of the holidays and other reasons kids don't have school. I guess that would require schools getting air conditioning, which costs money, so it wouldn't fly.......

Schools that would need air conditioning in August need it in June anyway, so that's a specious argument.
Not around here it's not. I'm sure Maine isn't the only place.

More advanced classes if you ask me. It took me about 15 minutes to do what we did in an hour of class in high school I was bored out of my scull most the time.
In the long tradition of genius poor spellers like Einstein, you should have paid a little more attention in English. SKULL
I have never cared about it either. My dad use to tell me math and science is where it is at. Focus there and the secretary will do the spelling for ya! He was right!

My dad use to tell me math and science is where it is at. Focus there and the secretary will do the spelling for ya!

Yeah. My Dad was an engineer. When I was struggling with calculus, I remember him commenting "calculus makes the brain supple." Well, mine sure as hell never got supple. :08621:

Better instruction during the day will solve the problem, for the most part.

^^^This^^^

More hours of warehousing won't do any good. The kids are damaged enough at these liberal indoctrination centers. It takes them years to figure out the crap (leftist opinions and talking points) they learned in school doesn't apply to the school of hard knocks.

Was listening to an education forum on the radio the other day how modern students won't read classics because they are "too long". They are used to instant gratification. So the teachers and parents cave to them. So who taught them to expect instant gratification and who reinforces it?

To paraphrase Churchill, The best argument against our education is a 5-minute conversation with the average student.

(The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.)
I was tempted to stop reading at "liberal indoctrination centers." What a bunch of bull. So if you believe that, what else have you got wrong?

It IS hard to get students to read, though, I agree with that. There are ways, though, that don't involve waterboarding. Teachers who love what they teach can inspire a lot of students.

My dad went to school (30's and early 40's) when teachers believed that memorizing long classical works like epic poems and long riffs from Shakespeare built up "brain muscles," like pushups for your gray matter. Yeah, they actually believed that. Well, anyway, my Dad got a kick out of that, and all his life he could recite Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Hamlet's Soliloquy, Face on the Barroom Floor, and a lot of other stories in verse. His students loved it (he taught Math, but when they'd had enough, he'd close the book and recite them "stories.") I loved it, too.

I have never cared about it either. My dad use to tell me math and science is where it is at. Focus there and the secretary will do the spelling for ya! He was right!
Now that you haven't got a secretary, some people will think, if he can't spell skull, what else doesn't he know?
There is spell check, but I know scull is an oar, so it probably slipped through, huh?

My dad use to tell me math and science is where it is at. Focus there and the secretary will do the spelling for ya!

Yeah. My Dad was an engineer. When I was struggling with calculus, I remember him commenting "calculus makes the brain supple." Well, mine sure as hell never got supple. :08621:
I fell in love with trying to beat limit theory. Thousands of attrempts have yet to crack it but I will keep trying! Made my brain supple or crazy I am not sure which! Regression analisys also some thing that will cause the active mind loss of sleep! Fun stuff!

I couldn't even get that far. They gave me extra points for spelling my name right to make it through my Algebra II final and get a 65 so I could graduate high school. It was the second time I'd taken it, tutors and everything. I just couldn't do it. Now it kinda scares me still, but at least I can follow the rules. I taught myself on Khan Academy so I could prep my remedial Math students for what was to come. I could not have done that at 16 or 17. The brain does continue to mature past that age, and I guess mine did, even though I wasn't dealing with higher math in any way.

Forum List

Back