Saturday

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Posting from inside a school right now, I'm wondering why we don't have school on Saturdays in America (generally speaking) as they do in some other countries. So many people complain about how American students stack up, so why not extend the school day and the school week?

Posting from inside a school right now, I'm wondering why we don't have school on Saturdays in America (generally speaking) as they do in some other countries. So many people complain about how American students stack up, so why not extend the school day and the school week?
Maybe we just ought to shorten the summer vacation/eliminate some of the holidays and other reasons kids don't have school. I guess that would require schools getting air conditioning, which costs money, so it wouldn't fly.
There is also the argument that kids need SOME chance to just be kids. The suicide rate in Japan is high for students because there is such an emphasis on their excelling in school. That's what I hear, anyway.

I am froextending the school day to catch up . 5 when mom and dad get home would be nice but adding school buses to rush hour would not be a good thing.If it were easy they likely would have already done that.

My son is in advanced classes and gets the highest scores in the county..I see no need for him to stop his weekend researching of material not covered in school or by my tutoring at home.

Maybe we just ought to shorten the summer vacation/eliminate some of the holidays and other reasons kids don't have school. I guess that would require schools getting air conditioning, which costs money, so it wouldn't fly.......

Schools that would need air conditioning in August need it in June anyway, so that's a specious argument.

I am froextending the school day to catch up . 5 when mom and dad get home would be nice but adding school buses to rush hour would not be a good thing.If it were easy they likely would have already done that.
High schoolers could handle 5 p.m. but the little ones already have too long a day in my opinion. Better instruction during the day will solve the problem, for the most part. There is a lot of really exciting stuff going on in teaching the STEM subjects more effectively. Now if they could figure out how to get kids to write with more than their two thumbs in 200 characters or less, we'd be getting somewhere.
I am philosophically opposed to gearing education entirely toward jobs, which is unfortunately what is going on in this country at the moment. In Adult Ed it's gone completely nuts. There is nothing wrong with preparing high schoolers for work, but literature and history and music and art and philosophy are what separates us from the other mammals. They're important, too. If no love or respect or even familiarity with those subjects is inculcated into our youth, what will we have but a bunch of hard working robots?

Quality and not quantity ..........

Assert oneself versus not asserting oneself may be an issue.

The kids get to the rat race soon enough.......let them enjoy the simple life a bit.

Shift the daily schedule so that school lets out after rush hour.

The kids get to the rat race soon enough.......let them enjoy the simple life a bit.

And when stats show American kids lagging behind other nations?

And when the kids get to the rat race and are less well prepared to win it?

That would be 7:30 where I live. It is no longer an hour it is from 3to7 here. Rush 4hour more like it. The traffic blows here!

That would be 7:30 where I live. It is no longer an hour it is from 3to7 here. Rush 4hour more like it. The traffic blows here!

School could start later in the morning. Studies show kids need more sleep anyway.

High schoolers could handle 5 p.m. but the little ones already have too long a day in my opinion. Better instruction during the day will solve the problem, for the most part. There is a lot of really exciting stuff going on in teaching the STEM subjects more effectively. Now if they could figure out how to get kids to write with more than their two thumbs in 200 characters or less, we'd be getting somewhere.
I am philosophically opposed to gearing education entirely toward jobs, which is unfortunately what is going on in this country at the moment. In Adult Ed it's gone completely nuts. There is nothing wrong with preparing high schoolers for work, but literature and history and music and art and philosophy are what separates us from the other mammals. They're important, too. If no love or respect or even familiarity with those subjects is inculcated into our youth, what will we have but a bunch of hard working robots?
More advanced classes if you ask me. It took me about 15 minutes to do what we did in an hour of class in high school I was bored out of my scull most the time.

The kids must apply themselves more..............stop common core BS............and teach them more skills.........trades....

Some believe both parents having to work is more of a problem than the system...........because the parents are too tired to help them after school...............

If you want Saturday schooling...........use it for those needing remedial training........who are falling behind and not the kids who are doing just fine............Would be motivation to excel during the week.

I'm gonna study cause I don't want to get stuck in school on Saturday..............

The kids must apply themselves more..............stop common core BS............and teach them more skills.........trades....

Some believe both parents having to work is more of a problem than the system...........because the parents are too tired to help them after school...............
That is because it is. Graded start at home. If mom and dad are not involved grades suffer!

So, kids who are just more interested in science and engineering are "robots"? Science and engineering don't separate us from other mammals? I don't see a lot of dolphins flocking to STEM classes.

Forum List

Back