Satire? Nope....Their boy's private kindergarten costs $84,000 a year. They are forcing the public-school district to pay for it.

My 5-year-old son is entitled to childhood services because of his disabilities.
Two years ago, he was expelled from our public preschool because of his behavior.
My husband and I are broke and broken, but we won't stop fighting for our son to get an education.

As a child with a disability, our 5-year-old son, Oscar, is legally entitled to early childhood services — and risks falling further behind developmentally without them. But two years ago, Oscar was expelled from our local public preschool in our school district because of his behavior, and none of the public therapeutic programs had space.

Oscar was diagnosed with ADHD, generalized anxiety, and features of pathological demand avoidance, meaning that his nervous system triggers a fight-or-flight reaction to perceived losses of autonomy. Sometimes Oscar behaves typically, but other times, seemingly without provocation, Oscar can become dysregulated, aggressive, and nonverbal.

After months of waiting, our school district still hadn't secured him a spot or offered so much as a single appropriate compensatory service, so we felt that we had no choice but to enroll him at a private school for children with sensory differences and learning challenges. We began a long and costly process of seeking tuition reimbursement from our local public-school district."

TLDR. My son is an entitled spoilt brat, like his parents, who we refuse to take care of at home, and the public school refuses to take care of, so we send him to a private school and expect the taxpayer to pay for it. $84,000 per year.

NYC of course.

Individual education programs (IEPs) are determined, designed, and implemented with no regard whatsoever of the system's ability to provide the services. Nothing is beyond consideration or 'too expensive'.

A friends wife is a special needs teacher in NOtVA. She was telling about a retarded, blind, wheelchair bound kid of "recent immigrant" parents that spoke no English.

In the meeting was the parents, a translator, 2 special needs teachers, a Nurse, the principal and an Administrator all trying to come up with an education plan. She said it would cost a couple hundred thousand per year of taxpayer money.

And we wonder why our property taxes are through the roof.

This is everywhere. It's pervasive.

It's not just in NY or in "liberal" areas. My heart really does go out to children with special needs and their families, generally. But objectively they hold all the cards right now. A child like Oscar can be violent and run the classroom and a parent can cite "IEP" and it's all over for the other kids.

It has been this way for some time. It will only change when other parents rise up. And we're too much into victims in the 21st century for that to happen....yet.

Keep him locked in his bedroom for his entire life. That's what a Christian country should do I suppose.

He should be given a free and appropriate education that:

1. Does not put other children and staff at risk of physical violence OR

2. Disrupt the education of other children

I cannot emphasize how far away we are from both of those right now. Far. Very far.

I get it. This whole "Christian nation" thing is just an excuse some use to justify their hate of others.

Does the "least of these" have the right to beat on other children and adults and throw things at their head?

How about we just start there. I'm not even being sarcastic.

There but for the grace of God go I.

"Entitled spoiled brat"? I got to ask, how damn sad is your life when you spend time digging up this shit and then condemning the parents and the child. From the article it appears these parents are doing the best they can and making great sacrifices to help their child. I guess you would just turn the poor kid over to the state and wash your hands of him. Right to life my ass.

This is a room clear. Children like those in the OP do this to a room. They cannot be touched. They are left to destroy the room, like this, while the entire class must exit, often for an hour or more at a time.

This is everywhere.

76a8164d-a47d-4197-803e-693a9ef21aef_1140x641.jpg

a 5 yr old out of control is not the publics problem to pay for. Home school or hire a babysitter yil the spoiled brat can straighten up enough for regular Public school. Maybe by age 6 1st grade or age 8 3rd grade. Even medication as a last resort may be required?

no way do we take 84K oot of 99.99% regular children to hand out on embellishment stories.

Can't do that anymore. "Free and appropriate education" at age 5 no matter what. There are no requirements for starting school, up to and including being toilet training. That's right. A kid can be in diapers and start school--and I'm not talking just special needs kids either.

Mainstreaming children like this is one of the most significant factors in our declining educational system.

Schools should be for education, and not asylums for those with severe psychological problems.

As cold-hearted as this seems, it is true.

Our social worker quit a couple of years ago. She said it wasn't a school she was helping--she was running a day treatment center.

I disagree.

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Matthew 25:40

Here is what "the least of these" can do, specifically--and I read between the lines in the article above. I have seen this multiple times. How about you pour your piety all over this, and while you're at it, think on all the other kids in the class. Is this fair?

Nope, not lookin' for one. I'm man enough to find my own answers instead of looking to some "magic book" of one persuasion or another.

Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said: 2 "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? 3 Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me. 4 "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? --Job 38: 1-4

Does the "least of these" have the right to beat on other children and adults and throw things at their head?

How about we just start there. I'm not even being sarcastic.

No one is even arguing that.

What were you "arguing" in here with Bible verses about the least of these?

What does that mean in this context, other than you flexing piety?

The complaints that the kid had to be provided an education.

Can't do that anymore. "Free and appropriate education" at age 5 no matter what. There are no requirements for starting school, up to and including being toilet training. That's right. A kid can be in diapers and start school--and I'm not talking just special needs kids either.

Holy shit, would you give it a rest about the toilet training already?

This is a room clear. Children like those in the OP do this to a room. They cannot be touched. They are left to destroy the room, like this, while the entire class must exit, often for an hour or more at a time.

This is everywhere.

Seems like the ideal solution might be to let the other students deal with him...be it tackling him, or having three or four of them wrap him up and toss the little monster out a window.
What were you "arguing" in here with Bible verses about the least of these?

What does that mean in this context, other than you flexing piety?
Virtue-signaling.

Keep him locked in his bedroom for his entire life. That's what a Christian country should do I suppose.
The red flag here is “recent immigrant”, aka illegal alien with special needs who should have been sent back to their home country

Those of us looking from the outside wonder what's up with these "special needs" students? They didn't exist a couple generations ago, nor did autism, nor did ADHD.

The temptation is to conclude that it's just a matter of spoiled kids, terrible parents, and a school system that has its figurative hands tied when it comes to dealing effectively with gross misbehavior in the classroom. SOMEBODY needs to come up with a plan that allows schools to simply EXPEL students that are interfering with the education of the other students.

Those of us looking from the outside wonder what's up with these "special needs" students? They didn't exist a couple generations ago, nor did autism, nor did ADHD.

I remember a good friend of mine. We were in 2nd grade (1960's).

I recall him just staring out the window in class. He failed 2nd grade. Today he would have been diagnosed with one of the things you noted.

Is it more prevalent today? My guess is yes but just because one wasn't diagnosed in the past doesn't mean it didn't exist.

The temptation is to conclude that it's just a matter of spoiled kids, terrible parents, and a school system that has its figurative hands tied when it comes to dealing effectively with gross misbehavior in the classroom. SOMEBODY needs to come up with a plan that allows schools to simply EXPEL students that are interfering with the education of the other students.

And do what?

Pardon me but your ignorance is showing. Special needs kids simply did not attend public schools "back in the day". Your knowledge of educational history is lacking. I never saw a special needs kid while I was in school in the 60s and 70s.

Forum List

Back